mtbr member

First tubeless install: Crest + Nobby Nic = easy peasy

After weeks of pouring over every Youtube video and online post about how to mount a tubeless tire, I gave it a shot this morning. With a new set of Stan's ZTR Crest rims, a new pair of Schwalbe Nobby Nic EVO Snakeskin 2.25, a roll of Stan's Yellow Tape, and my 10 year old piece of junk floor pump, I set off to work.

It was easier than mounting tubes.

I watched Stan's yellow tape install video and followed it easily. The tape went on flawlessly. I cut a hole for the stem and mounted the stem. So far so good, but the true test was next.

Time to mount a tire. This is where I've heard all the horror stories. Before I used the soapy water, like Stan says to, I wanted to see if I could even get the tire on the rim. My plan was to mount a tube, as Stan recommends, to help press the yellow tape into the channel but before doing that, I just wanted to see how hard it was to mount a tire.

Bwahahaha...the tire snapped on with my bare hands. No tire levers needed. Ha! So now that the tire is on, let's give it a few pumps with this old floor pump and see what happens. Pump...pump...pop!...pump...pump. Seated.

Really? That's it? The tire snapped onto the bead and held air. No soapy water needed. No leaking. No Stan's fluid. ..yet.

I mounted the other tire with the same results. Easy as can be.

I then rolled the bead off the rim and poured in the two cupfuls of Stans fluid. The tires remounted with even less effort than they did 5 minutes ago and pumped up easily. They are both sitting in my basement at 40 psi waiting to see if I have any leaks.

No compressor.
    No soapy water.
    No initial tube install.
    No tire levers.
    No worries, no hassles.

Love it!
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

psycho cyclo addict

Congrats.

Be careful about high psi- even when checking for leaks before the 1st ride because they can blow off with too much pressure. Check the max rating on the tire and stay a bit below it (in case your gauge is inaccurate).
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nobby nic is a great tire. Remember the psi rating on the tire assumes using a tube. I'll initially inflate to 40psi but just for a few moments to ensure the tire sets up, then below 35psi.

From Schwalbe nn page:

NOTE: When converting light weight tubeless-ready MTB racing tires to tubeless, the process can take up to 3 days of consistent sealing and sealant will seep from the sidewalls of the tires.
    LIGHTWEIGHT MTB racing tires are inherently thin in the sidewalls and will require extra care. Do NOT exceed 35 PSI on tubeless applications!!
    At what point did you decide you needed more than 1 gear?

mtbr member
    Thanks. Yes, I dropped it to 30 just to be sure. I assume the 35 psi max is a riding pressure, since a rider on the bike will dramatically increase the actual pressure but I did drop it.

I'm going to have to pick up a pressure gauge as I want to accurately measure whether or not it's losing air. But I couldn't be happier with how easily the system mounted up and how well it looks to be holding air right now.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    I have run the Nobby Nic and the Racing Ralph tubeless and they work very well. I'm running 22 to 25 PSI. Both of those tires drink Stan's so you may want to check them again in a couple of weeks.

psycho cyclo addict

Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    Thanks. Yes, I dropped it to 30 just to be sure. I assume the 35 psi max is a riding pressure, since a rider on the bike will dramatically increase the actual pressure but I did drop it.

I'm going to have to pick up a pressure gauge as I want to accurately measure whether or not it's losing air. But I couldn't be happier with how easily the system mounted up and how well it looks to be holding air right now.
    No prob. All tires have the max psi rating written on them and I always check to make sure. A friend of mine blew a newly setup Rocket Ron off a Crest rim by over inflating (against recommendations from me an and another friend). His hearing was messed up for a couple days and the wheel had to be retensioned.

This gauge works well for me in was quite reasonable http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-MN-46...dp/B003CEN0U8/

I run a set of Crests with RaRa's. I'm a 195 lb. rider and generally run ~25 psi in the rear (2.25) and 19-20 psi in the front (2.4). It is generally best to to lower tire pressures gradually over a few rides. I kept lowering 1 psi at a time on the rear and riding until I heard a rim hit on rocky/rooty terrain. Once I got there, I added a couple psi. For the front tire, I kept reducing the pressure until it felt getting squirrelly in turns and then I added a couple psi.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I did my rear tire with the stans rim strip and a non tubeless racing ralph.It went easy and trouble free from the first try held air overnight without sealant.Next day added sealant and its done well.

I did my front tire this week with a new RR but this time the store didnt have a rim strip but tape instead.I had probs getting the valve stem to seal finally got that after a few tries,added sealant and it was leaking near the bead had a small seep finally after laying on its side and turning slowly last night i think i got it sealed up.

mtbr member
    One month update:

Again, Stan's Crest rims and Schwalbe Nobby Nic snakeskin tires. I've been on them for a month now and with the wettest "spring" (it feels like dead of winter in Atlanta) I've seen in 10 years, I decided to remove the tires and see how everything's looking.

I deflated the tire and unseated the bead by hand. It popped right off. I used a single Park tire level and pried the bead off the rim. the only hard part was getting the lever under the bead but after a couple tries, it slipped in and the tire easily came off the rim. There was one Stan's booger inside and about a half cup (Stan's cup) of fluid. I added another cup and popped the bead back on by hand.

Inflated via an old floor pump and after a couple of pops, they went on and sealed right up.

Easy Peasy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    One month update:

Again, Stan's Crest rims and Schwalbe Nobby Nic snakeskin tires. I've been on them for a month now and with the wettest "spring" (it feels like dead of winter in Atlanta) I've seen in 10 years, I decided to remove the tires and see how everything's looking.

I deflated the tire and unseated the bead by hand. It popped right off. I used a single Park tire level and pried the bead off the rim. the only hard part was getting the lever under the bead but after a couple tries, it slipped in and the tire easily came off the rim. There was one Stan's booger inside and about a half cup (Stan's cup) of fluid. I added another cup and popped the bead back on by hand.

Inflated via an old floor pump and after a couple of pops, they went on and sealed right up.

Easy Peasy!
    When you pop the bead on one side, pop it all around the circumference and move the bead to the center of the rim all the way around...it will make it much easier to remove the tire by hand, because the radius is smaller at the center. I've never had to use a lever using this method.

mtbr member
    Good advice. However, I intentionally used the tire lever as I just wanted to get a small part of the bead off the tire due to there being a lot of fluid still in there.

I was worried that I'd spaz and dump the whole thing onto my workbench if I unseated the whole bead