Right Coast

Fire XC Pro vs Trailblaster

Which one would is better for lots of roots, rocks and mud? They look like they are very similar tires. I ride cross country in Virginia and have tried the Fire on my brothers bike and I thought it was a pretty good tire. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by StormShadow
    Which one would is better for lots of roots, rocks and mud? They look like they are very similar tires. I ride cross country in Virginia and have tried the Fire on my brothers bike and I thought it was a pretty good tire. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
    i have yet to ride a worse tire than the XC pro in my 12 years of MTB'ing... the treads are great, but the construction is complete garbage. I normally wear the tires out and THEN replace them, but these have such crap casings that I'm tossing them now. I guess that's what you get when u buy cheap tires

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I like the XC pro, and hated the Trailblasters...

I run the fire XC pro on a lot of my bikes. They work well in most conditions and have held up well to rocky riding in Gambrill and GWNF. Not super light or fast rolling though.

My Trailblasters lasted 3 rides up @ gambrill. My friends Trailblaster lasted a month. Both of us had the sidewall rip out. I'd stay away from those.

Dave
    Last edited by MightySchmoePong; 06-10-2004 at 01:02 PM.

I like Monkeys
    Quote Originally Posted by StormShadow
    I'm in Virginia as well. I've tried the Fires and found they caked mud like nobody's business, TERRIBLE in the mud. I love the trailblasters though. I run 1.95's and they work great for me in pretty much all conditions. I haven't tried that many tires (Bontragers,RollX,Mosquitos & Fires) but I love the trailblasters. I'm lookin to buy a couple of sets for me and the missus if I can find them on sale. YMMV
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

I like Monkeys
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    I run the fire XC pro on a lot of my bikes. They work well in most conditions and have held up well to rocky riding in Gambrill and GWNF. Not super light or fast rolling though.

My Trailblasters lasted 3 rides up @ gambrill. My friends Trailblaster lasted a month. Both of us had the sidewall rip out. I'd stay away from those.

Dave

I have two sets that are over a year old with zero problems on either one with a lot of miles. Getting ready to replace both sets because they're getting a little worn, but no tears or complaints. Best tire I've used...
    What do I want to be when I grow up.....Dead!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wow.

I guess tires are like saddles; what works for you might not work for someone else. Glad you like them.

I just looked at the reviews, and it looks like a love-hate type of relationship. The biggest complaint from the people who don't like them seems to be durability, but a ton of people love them.

Take it easy,

Dave

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    My experience, trailblasters are great when rolling over rock, and in muddy areas... but rolling between rock...well...like all panaracers, the sidewalls are on the thin side.