mtbr member
    Jun 2017

FinishLine Tubeless Sealant

Finish Line - Bicycle Lubricants and Care Products - Tubeless Tire SealantFinishLine Tubeless Sealant-big_fl_tire_seal_us_8oz_1801_bs_rgb.jpg

Finishline apparently came up with a formula that doesn't ever dry out, and I'd like to give it a try.

Anyone find this available in stores or online yet?
    The only online shop that shows it in stock wants $30 to ship to Canada...

mtbr member
    I saw it advertised in Bicycling magazine, which I buy at the airport if I am confined to a middle seat with no room to open a laptop. So it must be out in the wild.

Amazon.com sells it for US $15 for 8 oz. if that helps.

since 4/10/2009
    there are discussions on the forum elsewhere about it. someone posted links to a nearly identical product for larger vehicles that's WAY cheaper than the Finish Line stuff.

I would like to try it out at some point. But not until I use up my existing supply of sealant.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    I didn't see the other thread, but definitely interested. I've been reluctant to go to tubeless on a few of my bikes that I don't ride often. This would probably solve the problem of seals going to crap when they're not frequently used.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    there are discussions on the forum elsewhere about it. someone posted links to a nearly identical product for larger vehicles that's WAY cheaper than the Finish Line stuff.
    I heard somewhere (possibly in another thread) that the same company makes/helped make this product as well, but that there were specific differences between the products that made the existing product not ideal for biking, thus the new product. No idea how true that actually is though.

mtbr member
    old news. there were two threads about it in the "wheels and tires" forum Finish line sealant that lasts "forever"

Sealant that doesn't dry out

Multiseal is the automotive stuff that is supposed to be almost the same things as Finish Line's new product, but Finish Line changed the recipe to make it somehow more bike friendly.

someone on the amazon listing if the Multiseal product could be used on bicycles and the manufacturer responded, "Our product is not designed for mountain bike tires.
    If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to call 1-800-577-3353 to talk with someone on our technical team or send an email to tech@multiseal.us."

I'd like to take their word for it, but I have to wonder if they are full of it because they have an agreement to sell the "special" sealant through Finish Line. Conspiracy!
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I bought some of the Multiseal recently to find out. I plan on testing an old tire that I wont feel bad putting holes in.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spartan_msu View Post
    I bought some of the Multiseal recently to find out. I plan on testing an old tire that I wont feel bad putting holes in.
    really interested in the outcome of your testing. thanks for doing it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k9adv View Post
    really interested in the outcome of your testing. thanks for doing it
    I am intrested in this as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeegeek2112 View Post
    I am intrested in this as well.
    Me too. Subscribing
    Figuring this all out as I go!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I just dropped off my wheelset for new hubs at my LBS, and decided to pick up some of this sealant from Amazon to run with some new tires. I donít plan on punching holes in them but will be able to see if the sealant doesnít dry up in hot SoCal conditions this summer.

Demon Cleaner
    Iím trying it. Installed on new tires (Maxxis Ardent and Ikon, both 2.35 ... my XC bike). Install was super easy. One $14.99 bottle split evenly between tires. Poured down the valve stem.

First ride today. No problems. Holding air good. But only time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Structure View Post
    Iím trying it. Installed on new tires (Maxxis Ardent and Ikon, both 2.35 ... my XC bike). Install was super easy. One $14.99 bottle split evenly between tires. Poured down the valve stem.

First ride today. No problems. Holding air good. But only time will tell.

Any update on how the sealant is holding up? Interested in trying this sealant but can't find any real world feedback as to how well it works.

Demon Cleaner
    So far no issues. Itís hard to evaluate though. If itís working, then nothing is happening. And the real sell is that it doesnít dry out which will take a long time to know.

That said, mine is going strong. I plan to use again on my other bike when it comes up for new tires.

Bicycling is politics by other means.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by billbiwer View Post
    Any update on how the sealant is holding up? Interested in trying this sealant but can't find any real world feedback as to how well it works.
    Been using Finish Line sealant for about a month. So far so good but I havenít had a puncture to test it. I donít hear it in my tire like I did with other sealants. I do wonder if itís heavier than other sealants as well (Stanís or OrangeSeal).
    2018 Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup | ďIf youíre not first youíre lastĒ

turtles make me hot
    I just got the big bottle of Finish Line Sealant. Looks like good stuff. I'll be trying it in my son's tires as soon as his rims show up and I lace em up.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    further reports?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by k9adv View Post
    further reports?
    mtbr review claims it doesn't work.

Friend of mine ran it in his bike, we put more sealant in than recommended by an oz or so, he had two small punctures that failed to seal. One in the tread, one in the sidewall. Even with a plug, it failed to seal. We walked out, went home, and played with it on the air compressor. We were able to get the sealant to blow out and pool near the punctures, yet it never held any kind of a seal and continued to leak/blow out. We washed out the Finish Line stuff, replaced with Stans, which sealed both fine.

General impressions I've gotten from folks are that it doesn't work. I don't feel like you are going to be able to get a sealant to work that doesn't clog valve cores, that was an immediate red flag for me considering that's exactly how the sealant is supposed to work.

turtles make me hot
    I returned mine. Got more Truckerco.
    I like turtles

bike rider
    I switched to the Finish Line sealant a month or so ago on my DH bike and it held great for a month with zero rides on it just sitting in my garage. I took her to AngelFire Bike Park for Demo Daze last weekend and it worked great and didn't leak. Once I got home and cleaned my bike then next day my rear was flat. I aired it up and within a few minutes it was flat again. I played this game 7 times in a half hour and finally took the wheel off and shook it all around to seal any weird gaps. 2 more days of airing it up every few minutes. I finally put one half of a syringe of Stans in it and it hasn't leaked a single psi in a day. Don't know what to tell you guys or even think about it. Weird.
    My Bikes Kick Ass!!!

mtbr member
    So far, I've been running since April and been very impressed. No clogged valve cores and my tires leak a lot less air compared to Stan's.

In the other thread there are multiple people giving the product bag reviews, yet they aren't using the recommended amount of sealant.

My rear tire has had a bunch of little punctures and it's sealed up fine. If you guys want, I'll link the review I wrote on Amazon.

Barely in control
    I've used it on some 29er 2.3 tires. Had to use the full 6 oz (upper limit of rec). Seems to work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Had a 1/4Ē long sidewall slice with 4oz of sealant and it couldnít seal. Not sure if Stans or Orange wouldíve fared any better but I felt let down, mainly cause I didnít have a tube and had to hike 4 miles out in stiff carbon soles.

mtbr member
    A 1/4 inch puncure is kind of huge. That might not seal with a plug.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    A 1/4 inch puncure is kind of huge. That might not seal with a plug.
    I suppose it is but it was a hairline slice, as thin as could be. That was my first sidewall slice in a really long time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock View Post
    I switched to the Finish Line sealant a month or so ago on my DH bike and it held great for a month with zero rides on it just sitting in my garage. I took her to AngelFire Bike Park for Demo Daze last weekend and it worked great and didn't leak. Once I got home and cleaned my bike then next day my rear was flat. I aired it up and within a few minutes it was flat again. I played this game 7 times in a half hour and finally took the wheel off and shook it all around to seal any weird gaps. 2 more days of airing it up every few minutes. I finally put one half of a syringe of Stans in it and it hasn't leaked a single psi in a day. Don't know what to tell you guys or even think about it. Weird.
    That is weird. It's almost like the stuff just gave up. Maybe the solids settled out and then got stuck where they were, leaving thin fluid behind that does precious little.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by farfromovin View Post
    Had a 1/4Ē long sidewall slice with 4oz of sealant and it couldnít seal. Not sure if Stans or Orange wouldíve fared any better but I felt let down, mainly cause I didnít have a tube and had to hike 4 miles out in stiff carbon soles.
    I've had excellent results using Gorilla tape to seal sidewall cuts. First clean with alcohol (denatured if you have it), then place a peice of tape over the cut. Rub it on there pretty good. Work up some friction heat. Reseat, air up, add fluid if not enough in there. Ride.

Of course, that's not an option if you're way out on a ride, although if you have a pack, carrying a 2oz spray bottle of alcohol, a rag to rub the old sealant from the cut zone, and some tape wont be a problem.

I've saved a few tires with Gorilla tape.

mtbr member
    Put some of this in my rear tire on my 29er AM HT yesterday... and, it's weeping through side walls i.e. looks like tire is sweating/wet.

Tire is still holding air (which is good), so despite the cosmetic issue... nothing to bleat about.

But, I've got the same model tire on the rear of my 650b Enduro mule. It was setup with Stans & hasn't weeped at all?!

So, will this weeping/sweating be an issue?

Should I just chuck some Stans in there?

See how it pans out on next ride...

PS - 650b took 90 mls of Stans to seal up...
    29er took 145 mls of this stuff to seal up o_0
    (different rims/wheel size could account for some of the discrepancy).

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    I've used it on some 29er 2.3 tires. Had to use the full 6 oz (upper limit of rec). Seems to work.
    Update: These were 2.1" actual tires. I pulled them off and was planning on using the sealant in my new tires, but there was no "puddle". This was very disappointing considering how much I paid for that crap.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Update: These were 2.1" actual tires. I pulled them off and was planning on using the sealant in my new tires, but there was no "puddle". This was very disappointing considering how much I paid for that crap.
    Were these tubeless ready or nontubeless tires?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Put some of this in my rear tire on my 29er AM HT yesterday... and, it's weeping through side walls i.e. looks like tire is sweating/wet.

Tire is still holding air (which is good), so despite the cosmetic issue... nothing to bleat about.

But, I've got the same model tire on the rear of my 650b Enduro mule. It was setup with Stans & hasn't weeped at all?!

So, will this weeping/sweating be an issue?

Should I just chuck some Stans in there?

See how it pans out on next ride...

PS - 650b took 90 mls of Stans to seal up...
    29er took 145 mls of this stuff to seal up o_0
    (different rims/wheel size could account for some of the discrepancy).

'Born to ride!'
    I have the 'wet' weeping with Stans too. Someone tried to tell me that it was due to not riding, and to that I say utter bullshit.

turtles make me hot
    Stan's would seep through the tires on my fat bike after it was in there a while and broke down. I would refresh it and it would stop.
    I started using Truckerco Tire Cream and no more seepage.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    I bought some of this stuff and tested it for about two weeks before I tore my sidewall and had to replace the tire.

I'm not impressed with it. I wasn't expecting it to repair the sidewall cut but when I pulled my tire off it had turned to an oatmeal like consistency. Not sure if this is due to the cush core inserts causing premature clumping, the bike sitting in a shed in the Phoenix heat, or what. Perhaps it would work better in non technical/xc conditions...I'm also using it in my gravle bike tires and they seem to be fine.

I did a longer writeup/review with a few photos on my blog. (don't mean to drive hits to my website, just too lazy to copy/paste everything over here).

https://exploreshreddiscover.com/rid...alant-a-review
    Hey guys, lets go play bieks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jochribs View Post
    I have the 'wet' weeping with Stans too. Someone tried to tell me that it was due to not riding, and to that I say utter bullshit.
    We'll, I rode with the kids today... To give tubeless tires a shake up ^^

Believe it, or not... less weeping/seeping present after the ride o_0

Maybe, there is some truth to those claims ;-)

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Tuning in to hear the outcomes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Watching my friend struggle with it after recently switching has convinced me to not try it. I'll deal with clogged valves. Sidewall pinholes it was having trouble sealing. Would seal, and then let go and leak. added more sealant, swished to location, aired up with compressor, left it sitting on shop floor as we jibber jabbered, then we heard a tiny pop and it let go again. Swished and aired up again, was holding so far.