mtbr member

Finish Line vs Multi Seal Tire Sealant Comparison

Aloha,

I was wondering if anyone has done a comparison between Finish Line's Tubeless Sealant and Multi Seal Tire Sealant?

I decided to start a thread and hopefully someone in the near future can actually do a back to back test on sealing????

Why do this comparison?

Amazon has the Finish Line product for sale at $14.99/8oz. That will be $1.87/oz

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Multi Seal product lists on Amazon for $17.99/32oz. That comes out to $0.56/oz.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Multi Seal lists several products on their website. Outdoor Power Equipment, RV & Trailer and Sportsman. I emailed them asking what the differences were between those products.

https://www.multiseal.us/

Here is the email with their reply:

Finish Line vs Multi Seal Tire Sealant Comparison-multiseal-email.jpg

He essentially says they are the same products with different labels for marketing purposes.

So I purchased two bottles of sealant:
    Finish Line vs Multi Seal Tire Sealant Comparison-img_2223.jpg

Here are the front and rear labels:

Finish Line:
    Finish Line vs Multi Seal Tire Sealant Comparison-img_2224.jpg Finish Line vs Multi Seal Tire Sealant Comparison-img_2225.jpg

Multi Seal:
    Finish Line vs Multi Seal Tire Sealant Comparison-img_2226.jpg Finish Line vs Multi Seal Tire Sealant Comparison-img_2227.jpg

And here is a comparison of what comes out of each of the bottles. The Finish Line is the white one on top. The Multi Seal is gray and on the bottom. The real difference between the two is their viscosity. The Finish Line is much thinner. Sort of like Elmer's Glue. The Multi Seal is much thicker, kind of like pudding.

Also, you'll notice that the Finish Line seems to have less black bits then the Multi Seal. However, this could just be because of the density of the products.

Finish Line vs Multi Seal Tire Sealant Comparison-img_2230.jpg

Here is a video that illustrates the viscosity:

I felt the texture of each one. Both don't have a creamy feeling. When dipping my fingers in and feeling them, they both seem oily in texture. Just like their back labels indicate that they're propylene glycol.

Finish Line vs Multi Seal Tire Sealant Comparison-img_2233.jpg And Finish Line vs Multi Seal Tire Sealant Comparison-img_2232.jpg

So with that, here is the MSDS sheet for the Multi Seal:

http://industrial.multiseal.us/devel...D-2500-SDS.pdf

I went to the Finish Line site for the MSDS information regarding the sealant. Unfortunately, they don't list the sealant.

Finish Line - Bicycle Lubricants and Care Products - SDS Sheets

In another week or two, I'll have the sealant in tires. I plan to dilute the Multi Seal stuff. Though I am reluctant to poke holes in NEW tires to compare the products. I hope this information at least will be a start.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I bought the 1 liter (33.8 ounces) of Finish Line on Amazon for $39.99, so $1.18/oz would be a better price point to use here for comparison. Look forward to seeing the actual results.

Also, are you sure that you have the correct products identified? My Finish Line is grey and pudding-like (at least when shaking it in the bottle). Definitely not the consistency of glue.

mtbr member
    I still mix my own but I'm interested in your long term results. Riding it in the lava fields would be an excellent test!

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Interesting how Multi-seal only has a tiny mention on the back label about it not drying, yet finish line decided to base the entirety of their marketing on that feature. I remain skeptical either way. How can it truly seal if it never dries?

mtbr member
    I got the Finish line product. I'm not wild about the high viscosity and the even higher viscosity of the Multi-Seal would be a deal breaker for me.

mtbr member
    Intrigued! I saw Multiseal on Amazon, and one of the questions under the listing was "can I use this in tubeless bicycle tire?" The manufacturer said No.

I think it's possible that the Finish Line version will work better, but they jacked up the price just because they can. I'll bet the cheaper Multiseal product will work just as well with slight modification. Maybe more PG?
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

since 4/10/2009
    I will especially be interested in the comparison of diluting the multiseal product to reach the desired consistency. That will probably wind up dropping the cost per oz even more if you consider the product as packaged to be a "concentrate".

What do you intend to dilute it with? more propylene glycol?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I am basically doing the same experiment, I found the comparison pretty much exactly as described. I also got some propylene glycol, $12.50 for 32oz. I made about 16oz of thinned down MultiSeal. It takes a fair bit of PG to get to a similar viscosity, roughly 1:1, I haven't measured it precisely yet. The particle count now appears to be in favor of the Finish Line. I may experiment with adding some rubber bits and kevlar. Now I need to get some tires in service with this stuff.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm in to find out more. I make my own home brew but liquid latex is hard to find in my area. I really want to find an alternative to latex as I'm bad for not refilling it, plus the weight it adds from layer upon layer.

uhhhhhyea
    Definitely interested in seeing how this plays out. Reminds me of using concentrated 'farm' permethrin rather than the commercial pre-diluted stuff for treating clothes and gear. Same exact ingredients, just diluted differently. I'd imagine the extra thickness is what allows it to seal up to 1/2" holes (can't imagine that would ever be needed on bike tires)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpranal View Post
    I'd imagine the extra thickness is what allows it to seal up to 1/2" holes (can't imagine that would ever be needed on bike tires)
    I'm thinking the 1/2" hole thing also comes from the fact that most other tires (auto, farm, industrial) have MUCH thicker thread and sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Well. So here's what I have done so far as "trial".

Installed my new tires yesterday. Aired up, sealed immediately. No seepage, no loss of air. I know, this isn't much of a "comparison" but this is with 2 oz of sealant with 2 oz of ethylene glycol mixture.

Finish Line vs Multi Seal Tire Sealant Comparison-kimg0522.jpg

So today, I thought I'd document a bit more of this process. Because these are 26+ tires I was mounting up, I upped the volume to 5 oz (142 grams).

The first picture shows the 29 grams being weighed out. There is already 42 grams added. 71 grams, about 2.5 oz.

Finish Line vs Multi Seal Tire Sealant Comparison-kimg0517.jpg

Looks like a lot more when it is in the tire.

Finish Line vs Multi Seal Tire Sealant Comparison-kimg0518.jpg

Now I weight out the glycol

Finish Line vs Multi Seal Tire Sealant Comparison-kimg0520.jpg

Finish Line vs Multi Seal Tire Sealant Comparison-kimg0519.jpg

Aired up again immediately, no seepage and holding air. I'll report back later on how well the tires hold air and work.

And again, this isn't part of the "Multi seal" comparison but the bike lost about 1/2 lbs vs the tubes.

Before with tubes:
    Finish Line vs Multi Seal Tire Sealant Comparison-img_2221.jpg

After with the 5oz of sealant for each tire.
    Finish Line vs Multi Seal Tire Sealant Comparison-kimg0521.jpg

So bottom line. Initially, the Multi Seal stuff seems to work fine diluted 50/50 with ehteylene glycol. I'll hopefully be able to report back soon with more information after I've ridden this for a few weeks.

OK, glamour shot of the bike with the 26+ tires......
    Finish Line vs Multi Seal Tire Sealant Comparison-img_2219.jpg

mtbr member
    Ethylene glycol is probably OK, but I would have gone for propylene.
    Do the math.

uhhhhhyea
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Ethylene glycol is probably OK, but I would have gone for propylene.
    Less toxic, and certainly cheaper... any reason why it wouldn't work as well? I'm definitely considering going this route as I have four bikes and would love to convert more of them to tubeless, but it seems like it'd get expensive to keep buying stan's every few months with multiple bikes.

mtbr member
    Less toxic, and certainly cheaper... any reason why it wouldn't work as well? I'm definitely considering going this route as I have four bikes and would love to convert more of them to tubeless, but it seems like it'd get expensive to keep buying stan's every few months with multiple bikes.
    Nope. No real reason not to use ethylene vs propy. I checked. Other than ethylene is more toxic than propy. And ethy is better for heat transfer but that's not what we are using it for.

Oh. And I already had a bunch around in my garage because I'm always working on people's cars.

uhhhhhyea
    Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    Nope. No real reason not to use ethylene vs propy. I checked. Other than ethylene is more toxic than propy. And ethy is better for heat transfer but that's not what we are using it for.

Oh. And I already had a bunch around in my garage because I'm always working on people's cars.
    so basically just undiluted antifreeze (traditional, not dexcool) would work? that's good to know. a gallon is $10 at wally world, maximum cheapness.

Void Ab Initio
    subscribed

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I looks like you didn't mix the glycol and sealant before putting them into the tire... or did you?
    I was thinking it would mix better if you stirred it up before hand?
    2018 Farley 9.6 - Eagle X01, XT Brakes
    2017 Salsa PR GX1 - X01, I9/carbon 27.5+
    2017 Surly KM (black) 1x11, 27.5+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 14EVOHT View Post
    I looks like you didn't mix the glycol and sealant before putting them into the tire... or did you?
    I was thinking it would mix better if you stirred it up before hand?
    On the Schwalbe tires, I used injector so no, I did not "pre mix". On the Maxxis, because it was tubed before, I had to remove the tube and add the valve stem. Since I already had one bead open, I just measured and poured in to the tire. Once all the stuff was in, I used a popsicle stick to mix. It mixed up evenly and diluted real quick. It wasn't like trying mix oil and water dressing. Once mixed, I closed up the tire, aired up and easy-peasy sealed with no issues of seepage or leaking. I use Dawn liquid and water with a sponge to check for bubbles to look for leakage. Like around the valve stem, spoke holes (valve leaking etc). Next day, no loss of air.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    so basically just undiluted antifreeze (traditional, not dexcool) would work? that's good to know. a gallon is $10 at wally world, maximum cheapness.
    FYI, you can just buy what they sell as "RV antifreeze" for like $7/gallon. That is propylene glycol but is not rated for use in cars, hence it is cheaper (cars require high-temp stability, corrosion inhibitor, pH buffer etc.). In the same store i also saw "propylene glycol" in the animal section for $20/gal. The only real difference is that is sold as an animal medizine (cows or so), so it needs to have some better production method and certification. But either will do the same.
    2018 Motobecane Sturgis NX
    2016 Giant Toughroad SLR1

mtbr member
    Stab the tire with an awl to test the sealing properties. At least, this is what I used to do when I was experimenting with my own mixture until I settled on the right ratio of liquid latex, water & windshield washer fluid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun View Post
    FYI, you can just buy what they sell as "RV antifreeze" for like $7/gallon.
    That's pretty high. I have some from experimenting with home brew and it was less than half that price for a gallon. Cheap stuff, no reason not to experiment with that.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I'm excited to try this. I just ordered a bottle from amazon. I'm visiting family and it $20 cheaper here then in Canada. I'm tired of the latex mess. I have lots of antifreeze left over from my home brew latex. I would love to find something that doesn't dry up.

On that note, how is the antifreeze drying up that I put in my home brew now? Will this happen with the multiseal mix?
    Last edited by machine4321; 04-13-2018 at 08:19 AM.

mtbr member
    I bought some of the Finish Line stuff to try in my new Stache. I report back if I have any issues.
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Multi seal looks a ton like quadboss, which I'm currently testing. Quadboss viscosityi think I'd about between the two you're trying. I emailed them and they said it was ethylene glycol in their mix.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Multi seal looks a ton like quadboss, which I'm currently testing. Quadboss viscosityi think I'd about between the two you're trying. I emailed them and they said it was ethylene glycol in their mix.

Great info. Yes. And for others above, the glycol shouldn't "dry up" because it's oily. Seems to be the means to just carry the hole plugging stuff. And I didn't factor the cost of the glycol in to my cost because I already had it lying around and will always use the stuff in my vehicles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Great info. Yes. And for others above, the glycol shouldn't "dry up" because it's oily. Seems to be the means to just carry the hole plugging stuff. And I didn't factor the cost of the glycol in to my cost because I already had it lying around and will always use the stuff in my vehicles.
    I noticed when I used an injector that the quadboss stuff has fibers in it. It's like someone pulled all the hair off a tennis ball and mixed it in.

And as you noted, I don't think these options would seal a non tubeless ready tire. They wouldn't be able to seal sidewalls like latex can... I think...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ive been playing with my mix of 1part multi to 1 part cheap green antifreeze. I'm not sure if I goofed and only put 1oz in my back tire or 2 but after one ride the mix had distributed all Ivr the inside of the tire but would not flow back together when the wheel sat in one place. I have a bad tape job at the valve but that's a tough place to get sealant in to seal. This stuff is thick but seems to "slide" well in the tire. I thought 50/50 mix would do but I'm wondering if it needs more to get a thinner consistency. I have added cornmeal to make up for the extra liquid and it suspends in the mix very very well. I do have an old Kevlar vest I may fray it up and see how the fibers compare and maybe add some.

For now I want to make sure it flows well and doesn't cost the tire (that's what it is doing right now.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

mtbr member
    I'm going to give this a try. My wife and I both have multiple bikes, and it takes a lot of time and money to make sure they all have enough sealant.

mtbr member
    Any further reports or new experiments?

mtbr member

How is the Quadboss working out?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It has sealed up some small thorn type punctures okay.

I have not tried thinning it out, but will be putting on a new rear xr2 this week, so we'll see how it goes.

I put some in a Ziploc bag with some of the latex-based trucker co sealant. After a few month the latex had gone clumpy, but the QB was exactly the same.

I am thinking I'll add PG to the QB when I mount the tire.... But I don't want to thin it too much, so maybe 2/1 of QB/PG is where I'll start.

I did not notice any negative interaction between the latex sealant and QB, so there may be a hybrid option in there too.

uhhhhhyea
    I did not notice any negative interaction between the latex sealant and QB, so there may be a hybrid option in there too.
    That's pretty awesome actually, means that those of us running stans could probably switch to this stuff without too much hassle (i.e. cleaning out every last bit of dried stan's off our tires)

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    If the sealant never dries out like it's claiming then you wouldn't need to make a ton of your own mix then would it?

mtbr member
    It has sealed up some small thorn type punctures okay.

I have not tried thinning it out, but will be putting on a new rear xr2 this week, so we'll see how it goes.

I put some in a Ziploc bag with some of the latex-based trucker co sealant. After a few month the latex had gone clumpy, but the QB was exactly the same.

I am thinking I'll add PG to the QB when I mount the tire.... But I don't want to thin it too much, so maybe 2/1 of QB/PG is where I'll start.

please keep us updated. i am very interested in hearing how the QB or a dilution, works out.

mtbr member
    Money aside... is this stuff SO much better that its worth the hassle?

Im thinking about topping off my orange seal with coolant instead of just dumping more sealant in there. It seems like I could stretch the sealant all season this way, without having to buy a bunch of other weird stuff and storing gallons of homebrew.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Your scale looks so happy!

mtbr member
    Well.

OK, glamour shot of the bike with the 26+ tires......
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2219.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	1192524

Nice Turner Flux..26er aint dead and still rippin...

mtbr member
    Iíve been running straight up multi seal for two months now. Unfortunately, the forest has been closed for the past three weeks due to lack of moisture and extreme fire danger. That being said my tires have lost 10 psi in the last three weeks of being in my garage. I havenít been the victim of any punctures so canít comment on the sealing properties. I saw the comment on Amazon that said the product wouldnít work in bicycle tires, but I just assumed they were helping out finish line sell their product. If I do puncture when the forest opens back up, Iíll post the results.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I set up an xr2 today with the quadboss mix I was talking about.

It ended up as 4 ounces. 1.5oz QB and Trucker co (basically Stan's) each, with 1 oz PG to keep it thin.

I rode, nothing exploded. I'll update after a few months.

mtbr member
    Super interested as I have purchased at many 8 oz bottles of Finish Line sealant to get my 3 bikes up and running tubeless. The Finish Line 1L = 33 oz which is the same as Multi-Seals 33oz. It's double the price between the two. Essentially, for a 4oz bottle enough for a MTN tire, Finish Line costs $10 at retail per tire. With a 33oz, you have enough to do 4 bikes (8 tires). The general rule is a new tire with a new serving of Finish Line sealant. Stuff is expensive, but I cannot stand balls and gunking up of traditional latex sealants which is why the "never dries out" aspect is appealing.

But then, we have to ask if it never dries out, how does a hole seal? The answer: it doesn't. The one time I got a puncture and limped home (key success to sealant is ability to ride home without completely flatting), had to rescue by taking off tire and putting a vulcanized tube-style patch on from the inside.

Any updates about the homebrew of Multi-Seal thinned down with propylene glycol would be appealing, moreover its outcome would equal more sealant for more tires.
    Producer, Actor Will of the Sun, Author Platform Pedal Shootout 900K+ views