Stand-up philosopher

Finish line sealant that lasts "forever"

If this is true and works like they say, Stan's is going to go out of the sealant business... Or have to adapt.

And if you don't want to click the link, it says that finish line has a new sealant coming out that will last the life of the tire and never need to be refreshed. It won't dry up or cure inside the tire.

Finish Line's new tubeless tire sealant will last the life of the tire, company says | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    --
    stephen

no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Someone else made a similar thread earlier
    Sealant that doesn't dry out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTB B'dos
    They're FULL OF $HIT! Provide tests carried out in tropical climates and then I'll believe - We don't even get 2 months from sealant down here, just too hot.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

Class Clown
    so I just need to wait until forever to see if the claim is true

Stand-up philosopher
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    Someone else made a similar thread earlier
    Sealant that doesn't dry out

Yeah I saw the other thread later in the day and that it was started a few hours before mine. I searched prior and didn't find anything but can't delete it now anyway.

I don't think it will last forever. It either dries up in the air or it doesn't. If it doesn't, then how is it supposed to dry in a puncture?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    --
    stephen

no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

mtbr member
    I’ve been a happy customer, producing my homemade WSS/OSS recipe, but like most, I got tired (no pun intended) of dry latex sticking to internal tire casing. So when Finish Line / Multi-Seal released their expensive no-latex sealant product, I decided to try and produce my own stuff, using cheap latex-free tire sealants.

In such, I used a mix of Victor’s (particles and PG+ethanolamine based mix), to which I added some standard Slime tire sealant (particles and glycerol+cellulose mix), and adding a bit of ethylene glycol to calibrate the viscosity, I mounted an old RoRo on the rim: results showed excellent bead seal capacity (also sealed the material-exposed casing area). Small nail puncture also proved to offer rapid sealing, where a 9 mm cut could not sustain a pressure higher than 15-18 psi.

The one thing I’m concern most is the fact that this kind of particles-mix does not seem to offer a “permanent” plug, similar to what latex provides. Improvements need to be made.

In a next attempt, I would introduce bigger cornmeal particles in the mix, and probably use water instead of EG (to keep the vapor pressure at a lower level).

I would appreciate inputs … I know some guys around here, been there done that …

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by whtdel View Post
    I would appreciate inputs … I know some guys around here, been there done that …
    I have not gone down the homebrew path, so my input is not all that informed, but what about using Kevlar like Finish Line does? You can easily get it pre-pulped into roughly 1mm fibers for use as filler in composites, has that been tried in home brew before? Hell, if someone wants to try it, I would send them some. A little goes a long way, I probably have a lifetime supply in my workshop.

I am currently an Orange Seal guy, and it has worked well for me, but not having to worry about keeping it fresh and sometimes having to peel it out would be cool.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I do notice, it says "life of the tire". Id like to know there definition of this.
    Some people go though tires once a month. Some may take years.

For all we know, it might only work for 6 months in a tire. If thats what they define "life" of a tire.

Barely in control
    I think life of a tire means they want you to throw it away when the tire is worn so they can sell you more $40/bottle goo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbunnys View Post
    I do notice, it says "life of the tire". Id like to know there definition of this.
    Some people go though tires once a month. Some may take years.

For all we know, it might only work for 6 months in a tire. If thats what they define "life" of a tire.
    In one of the press releases, I think they showed a Schwable tire. If that's the standard, they may be saying it only lasts a day or 2.

Devil's advocate: 6 months of regular use is a pretty good life for a MTB tire, and 3-4 months longer than any sealant I've ever used. Claims about it lasting forever aside, if their sealant lasts 6 months, they're well ahead of any other product I know of.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VonFalkenhausen View Post
    ... Hell, if someone wants to try it, I would send them some. A little goes a long way, I probably have a lifetime supply in my workshop.
    Gotcha. This said, for the moment, I wish there would exist a way to provide a more "permanent" seal, similar to latex ounce it dries up. With non-latex recipes, the puncture remains sealed until we squeeze the tire in the damage area, at which moment, the hole opens up again. I noticed Slime STR uses cellulose and Victor uses bi/tri-ethanolamine. I will investigate and report ...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Also sick of stans and orange seal that evaporate within weeks here in Hawaii, and refused to plug even the tiniest punctures with their new green formulas. Took to carrying bicycle tire plugs as the only way to fix punctures.

Recently tried the new slime tubeless STR sealant with some anti-freeze in it. There has been no drying after three months whatsoever and it has sealed the one puncture perfectly and permanently so far-Maxis minion DHF 2.5 WT rear tire, no punctures same front tire yet.

Seems like this will last for the life of the tire as well. I'm just pleased as punch that I don't have to keep adding sealant.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anyone get a bottle yet? I just got mine in today.

MTB B'dos
    WOW, they're sure calling for a lot of that sealant per tyre size Guessing they'd be calling for 5-6oz for a plus tyre Please find an old tyre and test out that 1/4" hole sealing capability and report back

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hope many ounces is a scoop of Stans?

Nah I would be taking the time to ruin a tire for this lol.

MTB B'dos
    A scoop of Stans is 2oz AFAIK. You don't have any "dead" tyres laying around, like say with worn out tread?

Quote Originally Posted by codytaylor View Post
    Hope many ounces is a scoop of Stans?
    Nah I would be taking the time to ruin a tire for this lol.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I set up my first set of tires with the Finish Line sealant today. I set up an Ikon 2.35 rear and Ardent Race 2.35 front, both on Niner carbon rims. I put 4 ounces of sealant in each. I had a tiny bit of leaking around one of the valve stems, but it sealed up quickly.

It's still a bit wet here in the Midwest, so not sure when I'll get out on the trail next, but will update on any interesting findings.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    First ride on a new pair of Thunder Burts this weekend with the new Finish line sealant at the Ouchita Challenge in Arkansas.
    60 miles of mixture of rocky single track and dirt road.
    No flats. But I didn't see any cuts in the tire with the exception of maybe 1 tiny wet spot that may have been the sealant doing its job.

One thing I do know is the first time I aired the tires up with the sealant, they held air for days without losing hardly any, which is definitely not normal for me!

mtbr member
    For rotational weight weenies: 6 oz weighs about 170gm. My spare 29r tube weights 160 gm, and that includes the valve.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I put 65mL in twice which is 4.39 oz in each tire.

MTB B'dos
    So, finally heard back from Finish Line with a more honest and realistic answer than all the marketing BS they've been giving. Have to ask them WTF to run tubeless, if not to stop punctures from thorns etc

Hi Lynx,
    While we have tested our sealant extensively and have had it outlast our tires. Because of variations in a given customer’s usage (frequency riding, conditions, etc) as well as manufacturing variations of tires, we can not warranty the product. I definitely understand that tropical climates are a challenge for sealants. But with ours, as long as your tire isn’t extremely porous, or hasn’t suffered for many punctures, you will get MUCH more than 2-3 months from the product.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    In it goes. Put into a new set of Michelin Rock'r R2s. 4 oz each tire. Last set of these tires lasted me 18 months. I plan to check inside the tires in about 6 months.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Rocks belong
    Anyone get a bottle yet? I just got mine in today.
    Mine came today. I've got 6 tires to mount so won't have a whole lot left over. Then again, if it lasts a "lifetime" then I'll be good... right? lol
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    WOW, they're sure calling for a lot of that sealant per tyre size Guessing they'd be calling for 5-6oz for a plus tyre Please find an old tyre and test out that 1/4" hole sealing capability and report back
    Yeah, 4-5 ounces is typical for a 29’er if I recall for “mere mortal sealant.” I was thinking I should be able to get away with half the normal dose for this super sealant as it doesn’t stick to the inside of the casing... Hmm...

MTB B'dos
    Don't forget, that's only if you don't get a lot of punctures it has to seal up, if you do then all bets are off, as per their own words So sick of all the BS companies put out about their "vunda" products, just be honest, say it should last a lot longer than other stuff, don't put out BS statements like never needs replacing in the life of a tyre
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    In it goes. Put into a new set of Michelin Rock'r R2s. 4 oz each tire. Last set of these tires lasted me 18 months. I plan to check inside the tires in about 6 months.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Don't forget, that's only if you don't get a lot of punctures it has to seal up, if you do then all bets are off, as per their own words So sick of all the BS companies put out about their "vunda" products, just be honest, say it should last a lot longer than other stuff, don't put out BS statements like never needs replacing in the life of a tyre
    What's your issue, dude? Are you angry at Finish Line for doing you wrong or something? It's not like they asked for your kidney. If you don't like the product, don't buy or try it. Geeze. What hate.

Bodhisattva
    Last set of these tires lasted me 18 months
    THIS is the most impressive part of this post. I'm happy when a tire last me 6 weeks under normal use.

I too installed Finish Line sealant when changing tires this week. Fingers crossed. Only time will tell, but if it doesn't evaporate and form angry Stanimals or the dreaded Orange Web then I'll be happy

MTB B'dos
    My issue, TOO MUCH marketing BS from companies, that's my issue. This is a consumer based site for people to talk about products and discuss the pros & cons and anything else about them. After constantly reading so much BS marketing from this industry,m I guess I'm just sick and tired of it What's yours?

What's your issue, dude? Are you angry at Finish Line for doing you wrong or something? It's not like they asked for your kidney. If you don't like the product, don't buy or try it. Geeze. What hate.
    Hum, not so much, my On One Chunky Money's and Smorgasbord lasted for 2+ years and some serious miles on lots of coral, nothing strange about that. Let us know how the sealant holds up once summer rolls around in CO.

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    THIS is the most impressive part of this post. I'm happy when a tire last me 6 weeks under normal use.

I too installed Finish Line sealant when changing tires this week. Fingers crossed. Only time will tell, but if it doesn't evaporate and form angry Stanimals or the dreaded Orange Web then I'll be happy

mtbr member
    My 8oz came in yesterday and will go in a set of Maxxis Forekasters in a few weeks once my Addix NN's are toast...... I'm only doing 2oz per 29x2.35 tire like I have always done with either Stan's, TruckerCo or Orange Seal Endurance.

I'll update when I kill the tires in mid summer......

mtbr member
    I got some yesterday. It is a bit more viscous than Stan's or Orange. Doesn't need shaking, the particles just seemed to stay in suspension.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    My 8oz came in yesterday and will go in a set of Maxxis Forekasters in a few weeks once my Addix NN's are toast...... I'm only doing 2oz per 29x2.35 tire like I have always done with either Stan's, TruckerCo or Orange Seal Endurance.

I'll update when I kill the tires in mid summer......
    Nice. Yeah, I was about to say that I plan on only using 2-3 oz each for my 29x2.35 & 29x2.25 TNT Barzos.

Lone Wolf

Cool-blue Rhythm

I'm gonna be watching this product,

For my four years running tubeless my bontrager sealant and my stans
    have all lasted six months, and even at that only started leaking 3-4 psi a week where at 3 to 4 months only 2 psi....
    I put on new tires every year, would be cool not to need more sealant half way through the tires life.....

FWIW the 2 ounce bottle of bonty or stans Is all I ever added to my
    Maxxis Rekon 3c EXO, bla bla 27.5x2.8 wide plus tires, to reach the six month mark and this was always In the Central Florida Heat.
    Never saw an advantage to stans over Bontargers, they both worked equally well, both stopped punctures equally fast, and both made a mess when the tires came off..
    Easy cleanup sez the finish line stuff,, we shall see.
    “I seek only the Flow”, "27.5+ Hard Tails Rock"
    My Scooter : 2017 Scott Scale 720 Plus
    Climbing Is Hard, I like It :P

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Anybody got a flat yet??

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Bike lanes are littered with debris in Tampa.

Put 4oz in each 29x40mm tire on my CX commuter with Maxxis Ramblers. Ran over something and got a puncture on rear. Only realized after I stopped riding and saw a little spray on the back of my bike. Wiped off easily with a wet rag. Couldnt find any wet spots on tire and didnt seem to lose any pressure. So far so good.

mtbr member
    So I didn't feel like waiting and installed a set of 29x2.35 Maxxis Forekasters with 70ml (full syringe) of Finishline in each tire. The Forekasters usually go around 600 miles for me which will put me somewhere in the middle of summer before I swap them out...... I'll update then, or earlier if anything weird or bad happens.

Demon Cleaner
    So I set up a Maxxis Ikon Ardent combo a coupe weeks back. Split an 8 ounce bottle. Only a couple rides on that bike since then but I’m noticing something else interesting...my tires don’t seem to be losing pressure. Anyone else noticing better air retention with Finish line? Probably too good to be true so maybe just a lucky set of tires for me.

Bicycling is politics by other means.

MTB B'dos
    Curious, what tyres were you running before and were they on the same wheelset and tape job? If you've changed anything, from tape, to new valves, new wheels, new tyres, then too many new variables.

Quote Originally Posted by Structure View Post
    So I set up a Maxxis Ikon Ardent combo a coupe weeks back. Split an 8 ounce bottle. Only a couple rides on that bike since then but I’m noticing something else interesting...my tires don’t seem to be losing pressure. Anyone else noticing better air retention with Finish line? Probably too good to be true so maybe just a lucky set of tires for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I feel like my setups are holding air for longer than normal while sitting in the shop as well.

This Sunday, I actually had my rear tire go down on me during a race. I used a new Epic HT that I don't have much time on and set the pressures 18 front, 21 rear Thunder Burts, as this is what I run on my Epic FS. I believe I rolled the tire a bit on the first lap on some hard creek dips and once I realized the tire got a little low, had 15 miles to go to get back to timing for air (forgot to bring cO2). The tire got progressively lower on air but I was leading the race and wasn't cutting it any slack until it started making noises, wrinkling up in the corners.
    Pumped it up at timing and went back for a 3rd 15 mile lap and held air fine and is still holding at home.

I blame it on myself, not having the proper setup figured out on a new bike and starting the race with too low of air pressure, not the sealant though.

Here, diagonally!

It's hypoallergenic, which is important to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    One thing I do know is the first time I aired the tires up with the sealant, they held air for days without losing hardly any, which is definitely not normal for me!
    Same thing here. Held at a solid 40psi for at least 48hrs after simply manually rotating and shaking the wheels to spread the sealant around. Can't say I've had the same luck with Stan's when first setting it up. Normally takes a few days and riding around to solidly hold pressure. After a week now since dropping from 40-20psi still holding strong and I have yet to ride the tires....assuming it seals holes as well as it seals the beads it should be good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Installed sealant on new tape job with new Ardent Race/ Ikon. Got a few rides in, nothing to report yet other than the sealant is quite thick compared to your Stans variety.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Same thing here. Held at a solid 40psi for at least 48hrs after simply manually rotating and shaking the wheels to spread the sealant around. Can't say I've had the same luck with Stan's when first setting it up. Normally takes a few days and riding around to solidly hold pressure. After a week now since dropping from 40-20psi still holding strong and I have yet to ride the tires....assuming it seals holes as well as it seals the beads it should be good.
    Unless you are using a new tire, this would be irrelevant, because any sealant needs to seal around the edge of the tire and create that barrier. If you set it up previously with stans, that "lip" is already there and any sealant you add should have the results you posted.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Unless you are using a new tire, this would be irrelevant, because any sealant needs to seal around the edge of the tire and create that barrier. If you set it up previously with stans, that "lip" is already there and any sealant you add should have the results you posted.
    Brand new tires, brand new rims.

Really, it was just an observation that I have not had the same experience with Stans when setting up tires from scratch. I'm not professing a holy grail or anything. Stan's always leaked air and I had to pump the tires back up to 40psi over night.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    I like that too, the versatility is a bonus. It makes a nice exfoliating scrub. Terrible lube, though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Considering how many times I've ended up wearing sealant, it's not a bad thing!

MTB B'dos
    I think a lot of you guys need to revisit your tubeless setting up regime if you're strictly relying on the sealant to make it hold air. I've pretty much never required sealant on new setups to hold air, once I have done a good tape job and even better results when seated the tape properly for a day or two with a tube installed.

mtbr member
    Some tires hold air better than others and I'm not talking about the bead/rim interface..... Some are just more porous and tend to weep psi.

That being said, I'm not noticing anything different so far - which is a compliment to Finishline in its very early stages.

mtbr member
    So I didn't feel like waiting and installed a set of 29x2.35 Maxxis Forekasters with 70ml (full syringe) of Finishline in each tire. The Forekasters usually go around 600 miles for me which will put me somewhere in the middle of summer before I swap them out...... I'll update then, or earlier if anything weird or bad happens.
    I sure am glad I bought this junk from Amazon, as they are refunding me my entire purchase price. The only redeeming quality of this "sealant" is that it easily washes out with water when you have finally had enough of it not being able to seal even a simple goathead puncture.

Complete and total waste of my time. I have never had any experience like this with any other real sealant I have used before..... TruckerCo Tire Cream, Stan's or Orange Seal Endurance.

Hopefully Finishline gets enough money from people's first try at using their junk to at least break even developing and marketing it, because there will be no repeat customers.

mtbr member
    I sure am glad I bought this junk from Amazon, as they are refunding me my entire purchase price. The only redeeming quality of this "sealant" is that it easily washes out with water when you have finally had enough of it not being able to seal even a simple goathead puncture.

Complete and total waste of my time. I have never had any experience like this with any other real sealant I have used before..... TruckerCo Tire Cream, Stan's or Orange Seal Endurance.

Hopefully Finishline gets enough money from people's first try at using their junk to at least break even developing and marketing it, because there will be no repeat customers.
    Thanks for following up with your experiences and being an early adopter. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose.

mtbr member

No offense, but you said you put in 70ml into each tire. That's under their recommendations by about half. 70ml = 2.36698 oz and they are recommending 4-5oz for a 29er tire that's around 2.3" So I'm not surprised you had issues.

I put 5.5oz in my 29er 2.5 dhf front and 5oz in my 2.35 dhrii rear and haven't had any issues with it not stopping leaks. I've had 3 small punctures that it sealed just fine in the rear tire.

I also haven't been losing air during inactivity or had a clogged presta valve since. This has been pretty awesome in my opinion.

There are plenty of people slamming this sealant, but most aren't saying how much they used or if they used the recommended amount.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by forealz View Post
    No offense, but you said you put in 70ml into each tire. That's under their recommendations by about half. 70ml = 2.36698 oz and they are recommending 4-5oz for a 29er tire that's around 2.3" So I'm not surprised you had issues.

I put 5.5oz in my 29er 2.5 dhf front and 5oz in my 2.35 dhrii rear and haven't had any issues with it not stopping leaks. I've had 3 small punctures that it sealed just fine in the rear tire.

I also haven't been losing air during inactivity or had a clogged presta valve since. This has been pretty awesome in my opinion.

There are plenty of people slamming this sealant, but most aren't saying how much they used or if they used the recommended amount.
    What I didn't say because I am well over this junk, was that I swapped out my Forekasters for a Schwalbe Hans Dampf / Rock Razor combo because I scored the pair on an amazing deal and just couldn't wait to try them out.

So I bought the 32oz Finishline from Amazon (that's what I'm returning), along with a 100ml Effetto syringe and installed 100ml in each tire.

There are probably 6-8 goatheat punctures between both tires - something not out of the norm where I ride, and all of the punctures leak jelly and the tires lose air.

While 100ml is still below the ridiculous recommended amount, it wouldn't matter if the tire was 100% full of the junk, as the carrying agent liquid never hardens and it just keeps oozing out because all those kool little Dupont fibers can't seem to make the puncture air tight on their own.

Glad it's working for you.

EDIT: FWIW, after hosing out the tires, cleaning the rims, reinstalling the tires and adding 70ml of TruckerCo sealant, both tires are now air tight with no oozing whatsoever..... Just like has always been my experience with these small goathead punctures on any tire, with any of the 3 sealants I referenced.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What I didn't say because I am well over this junk, was that I swapped out my Forekasters for a Schwalbe Hans Dampf / Rock Razor combo because I scored the pair on an amazing deal and just couldn't wait to try them out.

-snip-
    EDIT: FWIW, after hosing out the tires, cleaning the rims, reinstalling the tires and adding 70ml of TruckerCo sealant, both tires are now air tight with no oozing whatsoever..... Just like has always been my experience with these small goathead punctures on any tire, with any of the 3 sealants I referenced.
    Just checking - where did you buy the HD/RoRa tire set?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    Just checking - where did you buy the HD/RoRa tire set?
    I got them locally from the friend of a friend who went in another direction and just wanted to cut his losses. They are both the blue Addix Speedgrip and so far, so good.

mtbr member
    What I didn't say because I am well over this junk
    Count me as another one of the satisfied customers. It's sealed 3 (that I know of) goatheads just fine.

Your experience certainly doesn't jive with this demo:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fillaroida View Post
    Count me as another one of the satisfied customers. It's sealed 3 (that I know of) goatheads just fine.

Your experience certainly doesn't jive with this demo:
    Yep, the good reviews (some paid) were why I bought it. As with anything else in life, your experience may be different than mine..... but I'll never try it again.

Best of luck and have a good thread guys.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am kinda starting to doubt the FL sealant. I installed a set of tires today on known good rims with a fresh tape job and cant get a small leak at the valve stem to seal. I have double checked the tape, and stem installation and all is good. It has 5 - 5.5 oz of FL in each and were ridden some to give everything a good coating. I have a slow leak on both. I do have 4 other tires set up with the FL with minimal to no leaks, but honestly I normally can set tires up without any sealant and they hold just fine. It may be something with these wheels, I am not 100% sure yet. BUT I feel like with Orange seal I would not be seeing this small leak around the valve stem.

At some point I am going to brake the tires down and see what it up. Ill probably give them a new tape job and maybe different valve stems, but before I do I may just clean out the FL and put Orange seal in and see what happens. I think that would answer the question of if the FL is worth using on my race bike this year or not...

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by jbell View Post
    I am kinda starting to doubt the FL sealant. I installed a set of tires today on known good rims with a fresh tape job and cant get a small leak at the valve stem to seal. I have double checked the tape, and stem installation and all is good. It has 5 - 5.5 oz of FL in each and were ridden some to give everything a good coating. I have a slow leak on both. I do have 4 other tires set up with the FL with minimal to no leaks, but honestly I normally can set tires up without any sealant and they hold just fine. It may be something with these wheels, I am not 100% sure yet. BUT I feel like with Orange seal I would not be seeing this small leak around the valve stem.

At some point I am going to brake the tires down and see what it up. Ill probably give them a new tape job and maybe different valve stems, but before I do I may just clean out the FL and put Orange seal in and see what happens. I think that would answer the question of if the FL is worth using on my race bike this year or not...
    This sounds almost certainly like a taping issue. I've had this on various rims, using various tapes and sealants over the years. Each time, re-taping fixed the issue when leak is from the valve stem area.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    This sounds almost certainly like a taping issue. I've had this on various rims, using various tapes and sealants over the years. Each time, re-taping fixed the issue when leak is from the valve stem area.
    Yup, I agree. But a quick update: It had leaked down a bit last night, I pumped it up this morning before work and gave the tire a good shake, one last shot for it to seal and thus far it is holding better. But Ill probably brake it down this weekend and retape it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I've been a long time user and more recent troubleshooter.
    I first used this FL sealant in my tires on Feb 13th, before they hit the market. My shop had a secret supply, as many others did, and I jumped at the chance to test them out.
    Initial impressions were underwhelming and performed as advertised. Imagine That! Every time I was asked for an update, it was always a bland "they are holding, they are doing their job."

Over the past 3 mths and 800mi, I have noticed a few seeping issues initially on the seam of my rim and more recently, peppered all along my sidewall. I chalked up my leaky rim seam as a poor tape job. And since I followed the instructions as prescribed, I was in no hurry to try to rectify this issue and possibly retape my rim. As the months rolled on, I have noticed more and more weeping on my sidewalls. Perhaps it's the warmer weather?

I am increasingly sharing frustrations with others about this product's effectiveness. I am losing pressure a lot more rapidly, and am seeing visual evidence of said weeping.

I am running 700x38s at about 55-60psi. I am only experiencing issues in the front. Which initially lead me to believe it was opporator error, but with sidewall weeping, I am less inclined to believe it is my fault. I also don't care enough to pull the tire and troubleshoot the issue. Until I need to inflate my tire 2xs daily, I think I will just ride this out.
    Unfortunately this issue is on my front tire and it wears Down less. I regrettably might also be on team: "once this shit fails, I'm back to latex sealants." Or whatever the shop has laying around!

Specs: Bontrager TLR rims. Specialized Terra Pro Tires. 700x38c. Gorilla tape rim tape.

I was thinking about putting in my Roval spoke hole plugs instead of rim tape. Has anyone had any experience on these for the road? Googs doenst yield much results.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I bought this stuff last month (April) It's now been a month and guess what? No flats but that's because I've been lucky out on the trails with no punctures.

I have to say I'm a bit worried about this stuff. I swapped tires last week to more aggressive tires since I was hitting the mountains here in VA (George Washington National Forest) and when I popped open the tires I noticed there was only a little bit of sealant inside. Like almost 1oz left. (I poured 3oz into my 27.5 tires)

I noticed that most of it turns into this slimy gel substance that sticks to the side walls. It's kinda bluish gel.

How is this suppose to stop a leak? I contacted Finish Line's customer support and waiting to hear back from them. I don't wanna jump to conclusions but if 2 out of the 3 oz turned into gel...how exactly is gel suppose to seal a hole even with those tine strips of fiberlinks.
    My bike is all tricked out. It has pedals, a handle bar, a seat and two wheels! H8tRs gunna H8t!

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    That's what ALL sealant does to some extent. It never stays only as fluid flowing in the tire. Not the sealants fault, it's the tire because the tire itself isn't even remotely sealed. So the sealant has to seal the new tire.

And a gel will seal a hole quite well. Partially because the gel is self sealing as well as I will get sucked into any hole.

You truly don't water thin sealant because when you get a puncture it just spews sealant till it finally seals. Thick like the gel the leak will be slower and seal more quickly as the fluid sealant remaining has something to interact with and a much smaller hole to seal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RAKC Ind View Post
    That's what ALL sealant does to some extent. It never stays only as fluid flowing in the tire. Not the sealants fault, it's the tire because the tire itself isn't even remotely sealed. So the sealant has to seal the new tire.

And a gel will seal a hole quite well. Partially because the gel is self sealing as well as I will get sucked into any hole.

You truly don't water thin sealant because when you get a puncture it just spews sealant till it finally seals. Thick like the gel the leak will be slower and seal more quickly as the fluid sealant remaining has something to interact with and a much smaller hole to seal.

Not really, I've been using Orange seal for a few years. The stuff never turns into gel. It either dries up and becomes a thin layer of latex inside the tire which becomes useless if you puncture your tire and there's no more liquid sealant left. This hold true for Stans sealant as well.

I understand this is a completely new formula which is why I didn't want to jump to any conclusions. If it's true that the gel will still seal a hole then that makes me feel much better. But i will definitely, wait to hear back from Finish Line to confirm.

It's just hard to believe this gel is going to plug a hole but I could be wrong~
    My bike is all tricked out. It has pedals, a handle bar, a seat and two wheels! H8tRs gunna H8t!

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    Stan's Hugo 52 v2 w/Stan's tape & valve, Schwalbe tire and Finishline sealant - Tire set perfectly, squeezed-in 3.4oz. and been holding fine at 19.5psi riding pressure and not a single instance of sealant bubbling out anywhere!

To confirm above, I don't hear the 3.5oz. sloshing around at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mine turned blue too

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I've put a bottle of this Finish Line sealant in all my wheelsets recently (even my tubeless road bike) and it has sealed up and held up really well so far. I'll even go so far as to say I'm getting less air seepage than I used to with Stan's. I seem to be losing less air pressure between rides than I used to. I've also seen a couple of "wet spots" indicating a puncture that have sealed no problem without losing any or very little air. So far so good. Taking a tire off that was sealed with this stuff revealed a blue color to the stuff when it's been in a tire for a bit but cleans up and rinses off so easily compared to Stan's. That stuff is nasty.
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Just bought a bottle yesterday then I read this today...

http://reviews.mtbr.com/finish-line-sealant-review

#darth.rider

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwim5 View Post
    Just bought a bottle yesterday then I read this today...

Finish Line Sealant review - Mtbr.com
    The impression I am getting from this stuff is that it will keep air in a good tire, and probably seal a small puncture, but anything like a cut or tear is going to be a problem. Fortunately where we usually ride there very few cuts and tears and only occasional punctures. It seems to be working fine in the one wheel I am trying it in so far. I carry plugs so if I get something that won't seal I can give it some help. The latex in traditional sealants is a PITA but it clearly has a purpose. A sealant that stays wet is going to struggle to form a seal over an unstable leak like any damaged MTB tire is going to be.