Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    Ok, first, let me say that I'm really bummed at all the negative reports on this stuff. I REALLY wanted to find a sealant I didn't have to touch for 12 months!

Back in April I installed a new Schwalbe tire on a newly built Stan's Hugo 52 wheel. The tire set-up beautifully, held air for two days, then I dumped 3.4 oz. of finishline. It's held pressure since day one, so now I'll take a real close look at the tread to see if I can find any punctures.

Seems like the perfect sealant, and I was this close to putting it in my fat bike tires.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by one piece crank View Post
    Ok, first, let me say that I'm really bummed at all the negative reports on this stuff. I REALLY wanted to find a sealant I didn't have to touch for 12 months!

Back in April I installed a new Schwalbe tire on a newly built Stan's Hugo 52 wheel. The tire set-up beautifully, held air for two days, then I dumped 3.4 oz. of finishline. It's held pressure since day one, so now I'll take a real close look at the tread to see if I can find any punctures.

Seems like the perfect sealant, and I was this close to putting it in my fat bike tires.
    I'm in a similar situation. I had zero issues with finish line over several months. It's extremely unusual for me not to have a flat, so I interpreted that as a sign of success, but perhaps I just had a run of fortuitous tire luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    I'm in a similar situation. I had zero issues with finish line over several months. It's extremely unusual for me not to have a flat, so I interpreted that as a sign of success, but perhaps I just had a run of fortuitous tire luck.
    You never know. That's why "your mileage may vary". Bottom line is if it works for you, excellent. I have had similar luck as well with my new tires/set up. I've been running Stan's, Orange and a myriad of others for years. They have ALL had their issues. So far so good with my multi-seal set up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Fwiw the E13 tyre plasma lasts the life of my tyres. That said my tyres don't last a year lol.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

No good

Quote Originally Posted by forealz View Post
    I've been running since March without issue in SoCal. It does still ooze, but that's normal per Finish Line.

Once again, I followed the instructions and the recommendation of the product manager.

4-5 oz for the 29" tire is for an XC tire. Considering I used 2.5" DHF I put in 5.5oz using a syringe. My rear had 5oz.

I suggest those that use it actually read this: http://www.finishlineusa.com/downloa...t_Tech_Doc.pdf

Despite all the poor reviews and misinformation being spread, I think it's a great product and my valve cores haven't clogged yet. It seems those that follow the instructions and have a good tape job, have good results. All the holes in my tires have stayed sealed despite oozing slightly.
    It's not about following the directions. The sealant was never tested on different bike tires. Only Maxxis and Continental from what I understand.

It turns out some rubber compounds have more open pores (we can't see them) that can absorb some of the liquid leaving behind a blue jelly residue.
    If you use any other brand then this product may not work as advertised.
    My bike is all tricked out. It has pedals, a handle bar, a seat and two wheels! H8tRs gunna H8t!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    We used Maxxis tires with this stuff and it failed to seal two punctures that Stans instantly sealed.

Yes, we followed instructions and actually included more than specified. We took the tire home to try and get it to seal using an air compressor, the sealant was blowing out readily but would never form a seal that held more than 10 psi.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    So are you an employee or a sponsored rider?
    Neither just a regular joe who got sick of Stan's clogging my cores.

Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one and my buddy having good results.

Quote Originally Posted by gmats View Post
    You never know. That's why "your mileage may vary". Bottom line is if it works for you, excellent. I have had similar luck as well with my new tires/set up. I've been running Stan's, Orange and a myriad of others for years. They have ALL had their issues. So far so good with my multi-seal set up.
    Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidSpin View Post
    It's not about following the directions. The sealant was never tested on different bike tires. Only Maxxis and Continental from what I understand.

It turns out some rubber compounds have more open pores (we can't see them) that can absorb some of the liquid leaving behind a blue jelly residue.
    If you use any other brand then this product may not work as advertised.
    Absorbing into the tire is normal and part of what helps tires weep less air through the sidewalls. I see this as a good thing.

Per the document:
    "Once the tire is installed, over time, small amounts of any sealant, (latex and ours) will soak into the rubber. This helps reduce loss of air due to rubber porosity. Our testing shows that tires treated with our sealant lose less air over time than do latex treated tires. "

This is exactly what I've experienced. I am using Maxxis tires and my tires definitely leak less air than when I was running Stan's.

Never heard of them only testing Maxxis and Continental. My buddy runs Schwalbe's and has been just fine with Finishline as well for the past few months.

Not sure what else to say...I followed the instructions and I've had great results. I removed my Stan's and peeled and scraped off any residue along the bead with my fingernails. And washed out with soap and water and let it dry. Mounted the tire and performed a dry seal added sealant via a valvecore and done.
    Again 5.5oz in the 2.5" front. 5oz in the 2.35/4" rear DHF DHRII DC tires

My buddy with the Schwalbes filled up a month after me and has been solid as well.

But the fact that I'm being asked if I'm an employee or sponsored rider leads me to believe that I'm not going to convince anyone of my results with Finishline no matter how many times I say it.

mtbr member
    This stuff is not very good. Coming from Stan's race I was hoping it worked well due to valve clogs with Stan's but not clogging valves is the only thing this sealant does well. It does not seal well or last as long as advertised. Back to Stan's for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I had a discovery or thought yesterday.

I have used the new sealant since release. I haven't had a punctures that I know off so I am not sure the product has succeeded or failed. However I have had a tire of on 2 occasions. I observed that the sealant coated the inside of the tire (wet not dry). Yes there were globs in some areas. It also didn't run down as the tire sat. Maybe that's good.

However, my thought is since the sealant essentially coats the tire, it effectively adds rotational weight to the tire. That bad.

Hypothesis. Conventional sealant like Stan's, coats very very little, mostly stays low in the tire during rotation and doesn't add as much rotational weight to the tire. This is good if true. There have been some discussions on how Stan's behaves in a rotating tire.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Nat
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Conventional sealant like Stan's, coats very very little, mostly stays low in the tire during rotation and doesn't add as much rotational weight to the tire.
    Are you sure that the liquid stays pooled at the bottom even at actual riding RPMs? Is centrifugal force strong enough to spread the liquid out evenly at riding speed?

mtbr member
    Bikeradar : Which tubeless sealant works the best?

Finish Line Sealant - BikeRadar score : 2.5/5

So good: Finish Line claim its Kevlar-based sealant wonít degrade over time like latex-based sealants do. They say it will last the lifetime of the tyre, but weíve not had time to test it for that long.

No good: In our tests, the gloopy solution was reluctant to coat the tyre, making it harder to seat the tyre than with other sealants. Once set up, it was the slowest to seal sidewall-punctures. It also performed worst in our outer casing puncture tests; it was the only sealant that failed to seal the tyre at all after it was stabbed with a 6mm screwdriver. The 240ml bottle is only enough for two tyres and itís expensive per unit volume.

I do wonder why Stanís No Tubes Race Sealant gets 4.5/5. Due to their review I gave it another try. Mounted the new Specialized S-Works Renegade and Fast Trak 29x2.3 tires, flatted twice. After each flat I opened the tire to find out the sealant turned into water... twice. It wasn't able to seal a pinprick. Friend of mine who recently switched to the new S-Works tires with NoTubes regular had a similar experience after three weeks : flat puncture from a thorn, three week old Stan's turned into water.
    I have been riding Orange Seal (regular, not endurance) for over 1.5 years (last years Bikeradar test winner), which seems to create the strongest seal. If you pull dried Orange Seal, it's almost like plastic and very hard to tear compared to others.
    Before Orange Seal I rode 2.5 years Caffelatex, which also performed great. It creates a nice coating film on the inside of the tire, which helps sealing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Are you sure that the liquid stays pooled at the bottom even at actual riding RPMs? Is centrifugal force strong enough to spread the liquid out evenly at riding speed?
    It's mainly the viscosity.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    Bikeradar : Which tubeless sealant works the best?

Finish Line Sealant - BikeRadar score : 2.5/5

So good: Finish Line claim its Kevlar-based sealant wonít degrade over time like latex-based sealants do. They say it will last the lifetime of the tyre, but weíve not had time to test it for that long.

No good: In our tests, the gloopy solution was reluctant to coat the tyre, making it harder to seat the tyre than with other sealants. Once set up, it was the slowest to seal sidewall-punctures. It also performed worst in our outer casing puncture tests; it was the only sealant that failed to seal the tyre at all after it was stabbed with a 6mm screwdriver. The 240ml bottle is only enough for two tyres and itís expensive per unit volume.

I do wonder why Stanís No Tubes Race Sealant gets 4.5/5. Due to their review I gave it another try. Mounted the new Specialized S-Works Renegade and Fast Trak 29x2.3 tires, flatted twice. After each flat I opened the tire to find out the sealant turned into water... twice. It wasn't able to seal a pinprick. Friend of mine who recently switched to the new S-Works tires with NoTubes regular had a similar experience after three weeks : flat puncture from a thorn, three week old Stan's turned into water.
    I have been riding Orange Seal (regular, not endurance) for over 1.5 years (last years Bikeradar test winner), which seems to create the strongest seal. If you pull dried Orange Seal, it's almost like plastic and very hard to tear compared to others.
    Before Orange Seal I rode 2.5 years Caffelatex, which also performed great. It creates a nice coating film on the inside of the tire, which helps sealing.
    So, I'm another person who tried Finish Line with high hopes.

I had a good run, but it's now over, having had numerous encounters of the goathead and glass variety lately. The goathead plants are going wild this year due to all the rain. Glass is encountered because of all the rain, trails are closed, so I'm riding on the bike path - it sucks, but it's better than riding a trainer or spin bike.

Anyway. I've never had Finish Line fail entirely to seal a small cut or puncture in the tread face. 3 times I have had a puncture that sealed but by the time it did I had lost so much air that the tire was not rideable without adding more air. On a longer ride in rugged terrain, I carry a spare tube and pump. Just tooling around, not so much. Especially in the heat of summer - I don't wear a hydration pack unless I absolutely need more than 1 bottle of water, and most of my jerseys are not road/xc style with the 3 large rear pockets so I have no way of carrying a pump and spares.

This has been my mantra for years and it's worked fine with Slime Pro and then Orange Seal. I have not had any sidewall cuts but I suspect I'd be walking.

I am pulling my tires, rinsing and wiping them out, and going back to Orange Seal. Stans is a joke. It dehydrates and forms massive globs within a few months. Slime Pro is better, but Orange Seal is the best. The original formula; Orange Seal endurance does last longer, but it doesn't seal as quickly as the original and sealing is my goal.

I had somewhat of a control variable in that my son and wife frequently ride with me and they stayed on Orange Seal because it was already in their tires so I kept using it. They have been fine and I've seen the goatheads in their tires.

I switched to Finish Line several months ago when installing new tires. My rear tire is about 1/3 cooked and I had hoped to get it worn out before changing sealants, but I've been lucky that my punctures have been at the end of rides, so when I feel the tire going off, it's time to park the bike anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12