mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fat Albert vs Hans Dampf

Hi,

Anybody here tried them both or know a strong reason for one over the other?

I'm changing to a tubeless setup and replacing the tube High Rollers and Nevegals I generally like.

I'm open to other suggestions. The goal is confidence inspiring tires for my home turf that's rock and root as well as for long rides at other areas more loose over hard.

Thank you.

Colorado Yeti Rider!
    Any one have an thought on the Fat Albert vs the Hans Dampf?
    I used the the newest Fat Alberts (26x2.4, Tubeless ready, TrailStar compound, Snakeskin) for the last year and generally liked them. I wished they would have lasted a little longer but I did put them through a lot of abuse. I had them setup tubeless on some Sun Ringle Charger Pros with Stans tire sealant with no problems all year and Zero flats. I do lots of Downhill and some Trial riding. Thanks
    2011 Yeti ASR7 Custom Freeride build
    http://forums.mtbr.com/7868497-post42.html

I'm with stupid
    I am one of the odd ones that like the fat albert FRONT better then the hans. i felt like I could carve better at higher lean angles ( my style of riding is alot of leaning the bike but not body instead of handle bar turning) I felt the albert could set up and hold a harder turn then the HD the HD turned great but I kept getting it leaned over and it felt sketcky at higher speeds that the FA would take. The HD felt more at home when it was kept more upright with a bit more bar input. Both tires work well just felt like differnt style of cornering knobs and transition knobs.
    For the rear its a wash, the HD rolls like crap but hooks up well and brakes well in the rear but falls apart in a matter of a few rides in the rear (trailstar, have not tried the pacestar in the rear) The FA seems to roll a bit better and last longer ( pacestar) but not as sticky so to each there own.

Colorado Yeti Rider!
    Thanks for your input Hitechredneck. After reading pinkbike.com's review on the HD I am ready to give them a try. Do you think running the PaceStar in the rear would make it last longer than the TrailStar? I liked TrailStar with my FA but I need something more durable in the rear.
    2011 Yeti ASR7 Custom Freeride build
    http://forums.mtbr.com/7868497-post42.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hitechredneck View Post
    I am one of the odd ones that like the fat albert FRONT better then the hans. i felt like I could carve better at higher lean angles ( my style of riding is alot of leaning the bike but not body instead of handle bar turning) I felt the albert could set up and hold a harder turn then the HD the HD turned great but I kept getting it leaned over and it felt sketcky at higher speeds that the FA would take. The HD felt more at home when it was kept more upright with a bit more bar input. Both tires work well just felt like differnt style of cornering knobs and transition knobs.
    I couldn't agree more. The HD's really do hook up well but they feel REALLY sketch when layed way over at speed - they don't wash but just way too quirky I'm guessing because of the very round profile. I'm not a fan of them; going back to Minion DHF's - best carving style tire out there! The HD is trail tire that does best for slower, technical riding IMHO.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mountain biker
    I just replaced my rear (Trailstar) Hans Dampf with a Triple Nano version of the Fat Albert rear (they were on sale at Chain Reaction Cycles). I am really disappointed with the longevity of the HD. At first I thought the rubber compound was just too soft for a rear tire because a good portion of my knobs have torn off. But after a closer inspection of the HD on my front wheel, I've found signs of premature wear on the outside of the edging knobs on that tire also. It's like the knobs are folding over too much under hard cornering and the rubber is splitting there. Very weird.

So I ordered some Fat Albert in the triple nano to replace the HD. I'm really hoping they last a little longer than the HD. One thing I was surprised by is that it is a tiny tire. I had had a pair of 2.25 Alberts a few years ago that lasted me almost three seasons (ORC compound). They seemed not far off 2.3. But these new ones measure in at 2.125" on a WTB Laser TCS Trail rim (21mm inner width). I was a little unimpressed when I finished mounting it, but a ride on it last night put my worries to rest.

I still have the HD on the front right now (it looks like a monster compared to the 2.25 FA!). But I immediately noticed a difference in rolling speed, and acceleration (not surprising given that I've probably lost close to 150g in rotation weight). It seemed to have no problems cornering with the HD, and as far as bashing through rock gardens, I didn't feel any more deflection than with the HD, nor did I feel any rim dings (I was running the HD @ 30psi and the FA is at 32 psi - I weigh 215 right now w-o gear). So overall, I am very happy with it.

My one concern is grip in the wet. It's been a really dry spring this year so most of our mud has already dried up. Wet grip was the achiles heel of my previous FA, but they were the ORC compound, and these new ones are TripleNano. I'm hoping that makes a difference.

I have a 2.25 FA for the front on its way to me right now. I'm hoping it's not too skinny as a front tire. Maybe I'll keep the one less-worn HD for fall riding when things get slippery and a wide front tire will make a difference....
    continuous growth is the strategy of a cancer cell.

Perpetual Hack
    Still running HD front and back in Trailstar. Still no issues with the rear wearing or ripping- but then it sees very little rock, mostly forest trail. Love em for normal everyday trail riding.

I will agree on the HD not liking to be layed over, that is why they are my trail tires. For aggresive riding (gravity/park/hike-a-bike) I turn to Big Betty and Muddy Mary depending upon conditions.

The HD is a bit slow on back, but nothing like a GG/VS Muddy Mary or Big Betty.

As for FA comparisons, rot really relavent anymore - but I still have a set of older TN model FA's (model before they split into Front and Rear specific) on another bike, and there is no comparision, the HD blows them away - and I really liked the FA on the rear at the time with a BB up front. Much more grip, especially in wet, but not as fast as the old FA. (and the old FA did lean better)

I would like to try a PS on the rear, as I do like the grip / braking out back, but it does get a bit much keeping up with a buddy on 2.2 Conti Trail-Kings. These be a big 2.35 (Stretched bigger than my 2.4 VS BigBetty's)

michael

PS Kind of interested to see how the proto VS dual-ply HD's the DH guys are testing do...
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .