Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Fat Albert (Schwalbe) direction.

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Ronnie 
#1 ·
Anyone have the Fat Albert? I just put on the Fat Albert (rear) and couldn't find any arrow for the direction the Tire is suppose to spin. It looks like it doesn't matter but who knows. Does anyone know? :confused: Many thanks!

#2 ·
Hi Jeff,

Funny you should say that, I just ordered a pair of Fat Albert USTs from Speedgoat. When my order didn't arrived I phoned and was told that there are none available from Schwalbe in the USA. I phoned them too and they told me they are waiting for a container. So no Fat Alberts in the USA. To make it worse, I see they are selling them for 30 Euro at Bikediscount.com in Germany. That's a steal.

Anyway to answer your question, It was discussed somewhere that they are symetrical tires and have the same tread pattern which ever direction you turn them.

Ronnie.

#4 ·
I lied, I cut down the cherry tree!

Thanks Ron and Shiggy for the fast replies! I meant to say I mounted the Albert on the front not back. I bought the UST version in 2.35, and it's pretty darn big. I was looking for the Specialized Resolution because Ron bought them but couldn't find them (what's new) over here so I went with the Albert instead.
Ron, I've been meaning to give you a call for the last year.:blush: So I'll talk to you soon for some tech talk. Did you buy the 6.6 yet?

Shiggy, I hope you don't mind but I sent you 10 e-mails about tires and 11 PM's about rims. :D :D :D :D :D

#6 ·
Cowboy-jeff said:
Thanks Ron and Shiggy for the fast replies! I meant to say I mounted the Albert on the front not back. I bought the UST version in 2.35, and it's pretty darn big. I was looking for the Specialized Resolution because Ron bought them but couldn't find them (what's new) over here so I went with the Albert instead.
I had some problems with the Resolutions. The tread was delaminating from the casing. I'll tell you about it when I speak to you. In any case, Specialized have taken them off the market less than a year after they came out. It's a pity, I really liked them while they lasted. They are also no longer making UST tires. They have replaced the Resolution with a new tire called Eskar. Specialized are now selling only "tubeless ready" tires, as are several other manufacturers. If you are not aware that means a conventional type casing with a UST type locking bead but you have to use sealant. Of course they are a lot lighter than UST.

I took the delaminating tires back to the LBS where I got them. The Specialized rep. replaced them with a set of Eskars and they asked me if I want to try them. As I couldn't find any Fat Alberts. I decided to give them a try, sealant and all.:prft: I did some research and there are a lot of guys who are raving about them. People are saying that they are better than the Resolution. I mounted them a few days ago but haven't tried them yet. It's been raining cats and dogs in the NE for the past few days. The sun is out today so I'm going to give them a try.

I've ordered the Fat Alberts so I'll keep them when they arrive.

Ronnie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.