mtbr member
    May 2018

Fastest MTB tire?

Hello MTBR,

I bought a new 29" MTB as using for %50 city %50 off-road.

I was looking for fastest 2.25 MTB tire. Anyone knows which is fastest MTB tire? For all road use.

mtbr member
    The fastest tires for MTB will wear VERY quickly on pavement. I have enjoyed my Schwalbe Thunder Burt immensely, it's on the rear. I have a Schwalbe Rocket Ron on the front and really enjoy that as well.

I have a bike that I use on pavement and gravel roads and it has Maxxis Ikons in the cheapest flavor. They seem to hold up pretty well for my purposes and are fast enough.
    My bikes are faster than me.

All fat, all the time.
    Tires aren't fast, riders are.

psycho cyclo addict
    Tires with low rolling resistance definitely improve overall efficiency and speed.

#1 for me are Schwalbe Racing Ralph's. I run them on all four of my 29er's (except for 3.0" Chupa & Knard tires on the front of my single speeds for extra cush) and my wife's 3 bikes.

She was skeptical at first that any particular tire could make a noticeable difference... no more.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

Barely in control
    What you want is Vittoria Mezcal G+.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Schwalbe Big One pace star is the #1 absolute fastest (least rolling resistance), but it barely has any tread.

Next is the first 'real' MTB tire (still barely any tread)
    Continental Speed King II RaceSport

https://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tyres/mountainbike-tyres/speed-king-2-2

so, the answer is the Conti SKII

"Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm kinda looking for something similar for a future "gravel hardtail" project, and maxxis tread lite is appealing. Looks like an old school file tread with some side knobs. Never seen it in person though. Not sure of durability on pavement.

The tip on buying the cheap version of ikons or racing ralphs or whatever and replacing frequently isn't a bad idea either.

EAT MORE GRIME
    this is the Conti SK II tire

"Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Barely in control
    If you want fast, the answer is Vittoria G+, Schwalbe Pacestar/Addix speed or speedgrip, or Conti Black Chili. From there it is a matter of durability, so Schwalbe is off the list.

Mudhorse
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    Schwalbe Big One pace star is the #1 absolute fastest (least rolling resistance), but it barely has any tread.

https://www.continental-tires.com/bicycle/tyres/mountainbike-tyres/speed-king-2-2

Another vote for the Speed King here. It might be a little bit squirmy on the loose stuff because of the nearly-bald centre section, but the side knobs will kick in to mitigate any drift.

bicyclerollingresistance.com has figures that will directly translate to efficiency on the road. There's no standard test for efficiency on the trail because there are so many other factors that come into play (as soon as the terrain gets bumpy then the tyre starts acting as an additional suspension component. The definition of rolling resistance requires a smooth surface for testing).

The test in the link above is for a Speed King with a RaceSport carcass fitted with a butyl inner tube. RaceSport sidewalls are too porous for tubeless, but a latex inner tube will give almost identical rolling resistance numbers as tubeless, if you don't mind the faff of dusting everything with talc when fitting and inflating daily when riding. Go for the Speed King ProTection if you want to run tubeless - this will have a marginally higher rolling resistance than the RaceSport with a latex tube, and will be slightly heavier, but it will be a bit more comfortable and a lot more puncture resistant.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Grassington View Post
    Another vote for the Speed King here. It might be a little bit squirmy on the loose stuff because of the nearly-bald centre section, but the side knobs will kick in to mitigate any drift.

bicyclerollingresistance.com has figures that will directly translate to efficiency on the road. There's no standard test for efficiency on the trail because there are so many other factors that come into play (as soon as the terrain gets bumpy then the tyre starts acting as an additional suspension component. The definition of rolling resistance requires a smooth surface for testing).

The test in the link above is for a Speed King with a RaceSport carcass fitted with a butyl inner tube. RaceSport sidewalls are too porous for tubeless, but a latex inner tube will give almost identical rolling resistance numbers as tubeless, if you don't mind the faff of dusting everything with talc when fitting and inflating daily when riding. Go for the Speed King ProTection if you want to run tubeless - this will have a marginally higher rolling resistance than the RaceSport with a latex tube, and will be slightly heavier, but it will be a bit more comfortable and a lot more puncture resistant.
    Man - that like a slick. Less knobby than many of the new generation "gravel" road bike tires. I'm guessing some "gravel" like a WTB Riddler might be good option for this as well.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Tires aren't fast, riders are.
    Try a sticky compound DHR, and a race king.

Its not a small difference.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post

Big One for sure except:

• On trails you can flat tubless ones very easily (a friend of mine did that last year on an 80+ mile ride and we were contemplating leaving him as bear bait )

• If it is even slightly wet you can lose your arse in a heartbeat because they offer zero traction in those conditions
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】