mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Fast rolling rear tire with more climbing traction than Ardent 2.25

I am looking for a new 27.5 2.25-2.4" fast rolling rear tire with more climbing traction than the Ardent 2.25. Lately, I have been running my Ardent rear tire reversed, which results in a ton of climbing traction, but it is slower rolling than I would like. I'd prefer something with sidewall protection -- EXO, Snakeskin, etc. -- that is in the same weight range as my Ardent or lighter (<800g).

I'll be using this on my hardtail with a High Roller II front tire for trail riding in loose to loamy dirt in the PNW. I have a pair of Thunder Burts for very XC days, and a DHR II rear for burly days, so I'm not looking for anything on either end of the spectrum.

Thanks for any advice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Light, sidewall protection, more traction, rolls fast? Hmmm. Jumbo shrimp. Parkway. Military intelligence. Yikes. Tried the Ardent race 2.4?

mtbpete
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Light, sidewall protection, more traction, rolls fast? Hmmm. Jumbo shrimp. Parkway. Military intelligence. Yikes. Tried the Ardent race 2.4?
    I suppose "rolls fast" is relative. I'm open to a tire that's slightly slower than the Ardent. Does the Ardent Race have more climbing traction than the standard Ardent, or am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by changingleaf View Post
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic.
    Thank you. Looks promising!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    i will read and learn, for my 29 in

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SHREDINATOR5000 View Post
    I suppose "rolls fast" is relative. I'm open to a tire that's slightly slower than the Ardent. Does the Ardent Race have more climbing traction than the standard Ardent, or am I missing something?
    Smaller knobs, lighter tire. Can't have it all. I put on tires until they wear out, 2.5 dhf front, 2.3 dhr, rear. Never had I said" I want less traction" no traction, no bueno.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Good points. Thanks for the advice. Crashing sucks!

mtbr member
    Check out the Maxxis Griffin. I find it rolls as fast or faster than the Ardent, and is far less sketchy when cornering. Awesome grip with the MaxTerra compound too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Potential a lower knobbed tire with high TPI and lower pressure might work.

I think in reality though it could be more bike geo, fit, or just climbing form that you need to work on rather than tire selection. Do you climbed seated or standing, spin, or grind? In reality you probably need to pick which ones you don't do well at work on them all.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    WTB trail boss
    Nobby nic

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by HEMIjer View Post
    Potential a lower knobbed tire with high TPI and lower pressure might work.

I think in reality though it could be more bike geo, fit, or just climbing form that you need to work on rather than tire selection. Do you climbed seated or standing, spin, or grind? In reality you probably need to pick which ones you don't do well at work on them all.
    Hey, that's a good point. I've found supple tires at low pressure work great for me (Thunder Burts, Racing Ralphs, Rocket Rons), as do aggressive tires like the DHR II, DHF. The Ardents in particular do not work very well for me. I suspect it could be the ramp profile on the center knobs and the kinda low TPI.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I doubt the core issue is my technique or fit since I have no issues with most tires -- though technique can always be improved. I've been a decently competent XC racer for the past decade or so and have never had issues with cleaning difficult climbs.

I do spend most of my time training on singlespeeds these days, which is definitely a factor. I'm sure having more than one gear would help with the Ardents, but that's no fun!

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    P.S.
    Nobby nic is not so good on wet roots-stones.
    WTB Trail boss on wet will stick on self all muds on trail!!! (lots of knobs which are close to each other)

mtbr member
    I have been really happy with Bontrager XR3 team issue. I used them on the back of my 26er HT and 29er HT. I had an ardent on the back of my Singlespeed and put an XR3 to replace it due to the good results on my other bikes.

I ride in Arizona desert so value durability in rocks.
    Joe
    '12 Santa Cruz Highball 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5",Vassago Verhauen SS 29" XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I would generally rate the XR3 as less climbing traction than an ardent. Maybe a XR4 Expert or Nobby Nic could fit the bill. The Ardent is a pretty well rounded tire so it is going to be hard to find something that beats it out in both rolling resistance and traction.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Forkaster if not riding in wet, works good in loose but it slips on wet slick rock and roots.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus75 View Post
    Forkaster if not riding in wet, works good in loose but it slips on wet slick rock and roots.
    Interesting. I just tried Forekaster and for me it was good on wet roots. It is the knobiest tire I've used though.
    Last edited by arnea; 09-12-2017 at 11:05 PM. Reason: typo

mtbr member
    2.2 Ardent Race... One of my fav rear tires I've used ^^

2.25 Forekaster might be a goer...

Pre-2018 Conti MKII Protection Black Chilli, was a nice grippy climber.

Basically any other 2.2-2.25-2.3 tire will have more grip than the Ardent.

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Ardent Race.
    The centre knobs are evenly spaced and they give each knob a chance to dig a little compared to the Ardent where the centre knobs are paired closer together.Name:  tyre-image-ArdentRace_l.png
Views: 365
Size:  280.1 KB Name:  tyre-image-Ardent_l.png
Views: 369
Size:  335.2 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by arnea View Post
    Interesting. I just tried Forekaster and for me it was good on wet roots. It is the knobiest tire I've used though.

It's not terrible, won't pack with mud easy. Wet roots in the fall I need to switch to something with 3C.

No good in rock gardens..
    I ran the 2.35 Forekaster as a rear tyre over what passed for our winter and the 2.2 Ardent Race the rest of the time. Both tubeless EXO, non 3C. TBH I found the Ardent Race had less slippage under torque on iffy climbs in dry conditions. More actual edges working for it, would be my conclusion. BTW, this is on a 150mm Stumpjumper and I weigh 220lbs so it's not equivalent to hardtail use. Surfaces are mostly loose dirt and kitty litter over baked clay with intermittent rocky sections.

It's very dependent on terrain of course, as to what will provide traction in certain conditions. Is the tyre required to stick to the terrain (smoother, hard surfaces call for more rubber and smaller edges in contact with the surface like a centipede) or is it required to dig into the surface, in which case you want deep open unramped tread more like a 4x4 mud tyre. And there goes some of your rolling speed. No such thing as a free lunch, for the most part.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    I recently mounted an Ardent Race 2.2 as a rear and found it offered more traction than the low tread suggests. I wouldn't rate it as an XC racing tyre though, it's fast, but not as drag-free as Icons, Fast Traks etc. Unfortunately, I ride very rocky terrain and the sidewalls only lasted 200km. If you don't encounter a lot of sharp rocks I imagine it would be a good choice. My other gripe was the relatively low volume for a 2.2, but there's a 2.35 or 2.4 version.

My other suggestion would be the WTB Trail Boss. It doesn't look fast, but the closely spaced knobs form an almost continuous line along the center of the tread. It performs decently both braking and climbing too, so quite an allrounder. Sticky, gloopy mud is certainly not where it shines, but it works on almost any other kind of surface. The 2.25 is a tall tyre, much more volume than 2.2 or 2.3 maxxis offerings. I'd say it would be a good choice as an Ardent replacement as they're both Trail/XC allrounders but the TB outperformed the Ardent everywhere for me.

mtbr member
    Vittoria Morsa G+ TNT

Rolls as fast as Ardent, much better cornering and quite a bit better climbing traction. Plus they seem to wear better/last longer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    do you use the Morsa on the front also?

mtbr member
    I've had good luck with the Minion SS in dry conditions, rolls well and corners dependably. It seems to shed the loamy pine forest dirt pretty well, but your dirt in the PNW will be loamy throughout the whole ride where mine is just spots. Ask around see if people in the area have used them and how they worked out!

mtbr member
    As mentioned, Maxxis Griffin EXO is worth a look. I've run a 2.35 Forecaster rear and liked it although it's closer to a 2.2. Rolled and gripped well for me.