mtbr member

Experience with Extralite hubs

Hi,

I've been trying to use the search function on the forum to get some info on these hubs but haven't been able to find any information.

Anyone with experience on the extralite hubs? Does these hold up well and how are the bearings. I'm considering the Hyperlefty for my next build, but the lack of feedback on them scares me a bit.

mtbr member
    They are very light and strong, but only use o-rings for seals. If you ride primarily in dry conditions, go for it, but do keep up on cleaning and lubricating the o-rings. The bearings seem to be high quality. There's some info here.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    These would be mainly used in a race wheelset, so I guess it wouldn't be too bad. I've been running Tune Cannonball for last season and it's been pretty good as well.

Did you notice any advantages of the straight pull spokes in the build?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Had used Extralite whellset for a an year.
    Extralite hubs are masterpiece of milling techniques, very impressive! At first look they are easy for maintenance which was required for regreasing and preloads adjust . But really there were big mess with correct installation of protective o-rings, as I remember. Front hub preload system and qr axle caps worked , although they were not reliable for big abuse at close look. I hope Sergio has changed things in new generation hubs. With thru axles all should be ok.
    Rear hub had seize when rotated by hand because those years there were titanium (!) pawls and they were soft for that point.
    Also using a teflon bushing instead of bearing - weight weenie trick - is subject for rolling resistance question, imho. Longevity and geometry constant too.

Bearings into hub were Japan made and very high quality, later I have used them very succesfully into old American Classic hubs that were famous by bad bearings.

IllumaDucati
    Quote Originally Posted by figo View Post
    I've been trying to use the search function on the forum to get some info on these hubs but haven't been able to find any information.
    Try this search: Extralite+hubs+site:forums.mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Straight pull spokes eliminate the j-bend from the spoke at the hub interface, and this permits the spokes to operate closer to pure tension. This improves the performance, and is important for racers trying to optimize their equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by figo View Post
    These would be mainly used in a race wheelset, so I guess it wouldn't be too bad. I've been running Tune Cannonball for last season and it's been pretty good as well.

Did you notice any advantages of the straight pull spokes in the build?
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Sounds good, I think I'll give them a try, after reading the articles posted in the search I'll give the front (Lefty) hub a try and wait with the rear.