meow

Exiwolf expodes off Crest rim- anyone else?

A couple of days ago I replaced a ZTR 355 29" rim with a new Crest, and mounted the Exiwolf tire on it that had been on the 355. It's a tubeless setup using Stan's. Aired it up to about 45 lbs with a compressor and a few minutes later BOOM! It blew off the rim, sending goop everywhere. I saw there was a lot of semi-dried Stans on the outside of the bead so I cleaned it all off and remounted it. It held, so headed out for a ride tonight, and 2 minutes later it blew off again.

Has anyone had this happen? Could it be the Exiwolf/Crest combo?

mtbr member
    The bead is stretched and ruined on that tire. It's no longer fit for use even with a tube.

Which Exiwolf do you have? The TCS version has a UST bead, which is not a good match for a Stans BST rim. (Heh, that's a lot of TLAs. )

Save Jesus
    Agree with Colin. Running these tires on Stan's rims caused you to over-stretch and ruin the bead. However, I am 85% sure that you can still run these tires with tubes on REGULAR rims.

meow
    It's the non UST, non TCS version. Looks like the 'hook' on the Crest compared to the 355 is almost non existent.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    From what I was told by the WTB guy at Downieville, Stans rims and WTB tire are NOT compatible.

You mileage may vary.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    45 psi is too much pressure for that rim. Even when setting the bead you shouldn't air it up more than 30 psi or you're bound to have a blow-off; at 30 psi they will seat just fine (use soapy water as suggested in the Stan's videos). I've never had a problem when following this guideline. I've run several Kendas and Schwalbe TLRs on Arch EXs and Crests. I stick to non-UST tires.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by driven916 View Post
    I've run several Kendas and Schwalbe TLRs on Arch EXs and Crests. I stick to non-UST tires.
    Yes, that is nearly mandatory with a BST rim. I'm sure there are a few people riding UST-type beads on a BST rim, but many more people have tried that and failed. You can plainly see the beads aren't compatible if you inspect them closely.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Yes, that is nearly mandatory with a BST rim. I'm sure there are a few people riding UST-type beads on a BST rim, but many more people have tried that and failed. You can plainly see the beads aren't compatible if you inspect them closely.
    I don't disagree, but the OP said he has the non-UST, non-TCS version. I just think this particular case was a case of over-pressurizing the tire. All I'm saying is that for Stan's rims one really shouldn't inflate their tires over 30 psi or they may likely experience a blow off, UST bead or not. Some people have trouble using Specialized 2Bliss with BST but my buddy's has been just fine- he just doesn't put over 30 psi of pressure. Stan's rims are made for low pressure, not high.