Merendon Junkie

Even tension on repaired rim?

Hello everyone,

A cousin took a dive the other day (on my bike) and bent the rear wheel. He was able to ride it back home but there was a very evident wobble although it didnt hit the stays, about 8 mm side to side and a 2mm dip. I was able to get it true but the tensions were all over the place. Some spokes were really tight and some really loose. I then tried loosening all the spokes till they went slack and true and retention from there. I basically got the same result, some very tight and some very loose spokes. If I tried to even out tension, trueness went out of wack. I reached some sort of middle ground where the tension was not so uneven but the rim still has a small wobble.

Did I do something wrong? Is there a way to true back a bent wheel and get acceptable tensions between the same side spokes or is this just not posible once a rim is bent in a crash?

Cheers
    Abel

mtbr member

Get a new rim, then a new cousin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I do have a couple or rims like that, there's absolutely nothing you can do, "bending them back" is not an option. ^^ that suggestion or live with it until you replace the rims/ wheels
    2014 Kona Process 111a FS (29er)
    2013 Trek Fuel EX7 FS (26er)

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    Is there a way to true back a bent wheel and get acceptable tensions between the same side spokes or is this just not posible once a rim is bent in a crash?
    It's junk.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    +4 toss it out.

The uneven tension exists....because certain spokes has to constantly keep the compromised rim somewhat 'straight."
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Merendon Junkie
    Thanks for the replies guys. I was planning on replacing that rim with a carbon rim (chinese). Im gonna go ahead and order it sooner than I thought. My front rim is carbon, it been great. In the meantime, how would you ride it? true but with tension all over, or more or less trued and more or less evenly tensioned? Or would you not ride it at all? It gonna be about 1.5 months till I get my rim here.

Cheers

mtbr member

Thanks for the replies guys. I was planning on replacing that rim with a carbon rim (chinese). Im gonna go ahead and order it sooner than I thought. My front rim is carbon, it been great. In the meantime, how would you ride it? true but with tension all over, or more or less trued and more or less evenly tensioned? Or would you not ride it at all? It gonna be about 1.5 months till I get my rim here.

Cheers
    What kind of riding does this wheel see? I would go for the more or less approach unless you can feel the wobble. You really don't want to have some spokes that are very loose or you risk starting to break spokes for tension cycling.

Merendon Junkie
    Its a 29er hardtail, rearwheel. Basically rocky terrain, some roots. Very little air if any. My kid cousin is riding this bike now, he is visiting his parents before starting his phd. He is a very strong rider, 210 pounds geared up, very little fat. We do XC rides mostly, 30 to 70 kms per ride.

mtbr member

Its a 29er hardtail, rearwheel. Basically rocky terrain, some roots. Very little air if any. My kid cousin is riding this bike now, he is visiting his parents before starting his phd. He is a very strong rider, 210 pounds geared up, very little fat. We do XC rides mostly, 30 to 70 kms per ride.
    Yeah, so as I said before... unless you're racing and it's super critical, I would go with the middle option between tension and trueness to try to prolong the life of the rims/spokes until you are ready to replace.

In the end though... There is no one "correct" choice here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    ^^^+1, good advice

mtbr member
    In the meantime, how would you ride it? true but with tension all over, or more or less trued and more or less evenly tensioned? Or would you not ride it at all? It gonna be about 1.5 months till I get my rim here.

Cheers
    If it were me and I was going to ride it for awhile before it was replaced I'd re-bend the rim to even out the tensions. Not the stomp on it or throw it on the ground methods I've seen on U-tube, you can be really precise if you have a solid slot you can insert the rim into and bend it back at the same place it got bent in the first place.

I've re-bent tons of wheels with great success.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    If it were me and I was going to ride it for awhile before it was replaced I'd re-bend the rim to even out the tensions. Not the stomp on it or throw it on the ground methods I've seen on U-tube, you can be really precise if you have a solid slot you can insert the rim into and bend it back at the same place it got bent in the first place.

I've re-bent tons of wheels with great success.
    Where do you find good quality but cheap solid slots nowadays?

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fefillo View Post
    Where do you find good quality but cheap solid slots nowadays?

You might get lucky with a sewer grate, but I bet the city paid WAY too much for them.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    You might get lucky with a sewer grate, but I bet the city paid WAY too much for them.
    I guess that would work fine if you are ok with dirty slots.

Ok... I'm done! Sorry.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Hey, no jumping the gun, I said you might get lucky with a sewer grate.

mtbr member
    A sewer grate is no good, the slot needs to be solid at least 6" deep. I built one on the underside of my workbench.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I do not have the slot available to me but I do have a square frame I use for my wheels. I stood up on the WTB i23 rim, and it looked like it bend back a bit but nowhere to making it close to the original shape. My conclusion is that if it gets bent to the point where the spoke tension is all over the place, with huge deltas between spokes, then it is time to replace the rim