Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    ~ B A D A S S ~
    Brass muddafukkas, brass! I have chrome plated brass nipples on my powder coated alu rims even. Brass is the answer. And 3al2,5v corrosion enhanced titanium is the second answer, and cobalt/chromium based superalloys is the final and ultimate answer to this. Costing about 1000-5000 times as much.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

Fat & Single
    I now own 6 sets of carbon wheels (only 1 set of ENVE, the rest are Chinese Carbon) ... 2 mtb, 1 CX and 3 fatbike sets. All of them built with brass nipples, would never build another set of carbon wheels with alloy nips.

Galvanic corrosion accelerated by stans leaking in or water getting into the nipple chamber... or whatever causes this issue, not worth the weight weenie 20-30g going alloy over brass. Far stronger wheels and will give you some piece of mind that you are not riding a set of ticking time bombs.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Huckin' trails

ENVE wheel nipple corrosion.

The set I build a year ago and rode several times this winter deep in snow is holding great ! No problem with the brass nipples nor with the undrilled rim bed, if it's only that the plug they glued to patch the hole from the bladder when molding the rim got pushed in the rim cavity on both rims when I installed tubes at 50psi to do a city bike event this June. Looks like the tube pushed the plugs hard enough to fail (no rim tape), but I never had a problem before because I ran tubeless from the beginning when I built them. I'm glad that I used brass and have total peace of mind for ridding year long
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    I have enve 26DH rims. Had no issues 1st season with the rim, but started having corrosion issues 2nd season. Switched to Pillar brass internal nipples.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    ENVE wheel nipple corrosion.-image.jpg
    Can anyone tell me what this is? I only just noticed it today on my M60's. The wheels are only a week old. They are true. And the surface is smooth not scratched at all.

Fat & Single
    Nothing to worry about, its mould(UK)/mold(US) marks from the lay up or something. There's a few threads on here about the white looking mark up the spline of ENVE wheels, mine are like that from 3 1/2 years ago and still going strong.

Dont stress
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks Ozzybmx!!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    anyone know how to date my enve all mountain rims?
    besides flowers and chocolates?
    they have serial #s in rims but i cant make sense of them.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Got my Enve AM wheels back today. They changed the nipples under warranty thanks to my LBS. Question is, what have they put on them now? The wheels came back already taped up so I couldn't see, but I'm guessing (hoping) they haven't put alloy nipples back in.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc

Fat & Single
    Lightweight brass nipples... google "enve brass nipples" or look back through this thread.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    This is a very common problem I've certainly had it confirmed by a few bike shops and I have friends riding the wheels and all have experienced corrosion. As mentioned in the responses the wheels need to be inspected every 6 months and most probably a few nipples will need replacing. I think there might be a reaction with the Stans and the nipple. Wonder if Enve has an official statement?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Had 1 spoke pull thru nipple. Found this thread. Enve rebuilt my wheels under warranty with brass nipples. Going to use Orange Seal instead of Stans. Suppose to be less corrosive and made in Tx.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by Hippo1 View Post
    Wonder if Enve has an official statement?
    My guess is they want to take care of everyone as quietly as possible. The incredible premiums paid for their wheels don't allow for much risk in the mind of the consumer.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

~ B A D A S S ~
    First rule of Enve nipple corrosion: you do not talk about Enve nipple corrosion.
    Second rule of Enve nipple corrosion: you do not talk about Enve nipple corrosion.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jocar83 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	142.3 KB 
ID:	933696
    Can anyone tell me what this is? I only just noticed it today on my M60's. The wheels are only a week old. They are true. And the surface is smooth not scratched at all.
    I have exactly the same thing on the same location on my Enve M50's - one ride, followed by a hand wash. Same thing happened with my Reynolds 29'er carbons : when contacting Reynolds, they told me they didn't apply clearcoat on their rims. The surface is porous, which means dirt can enter - resulting in this 'haze'. It won't affect performance though, but sucks big time when you sell a kidney to get Enve's.

Perhaps we should send Enve a mail ?

After riding Specialized Roval SL's 2014 since spring this year, I found the M50's harsh, less dynamic, less comfortable (filtering trail shatter), and way stiffer (perhaps a little too stiff). They 'higher' rims have a lot to do with that. Weight wise, without rim tape and valves : Roval SL's are 1344g, Enve M50 1512g (with DT Swiss 240S RS-1 28H straight pull front hub and 240S 28H straigh pull rear, Sapim Race / Laser spokes and alu Pillar nipples).
    They Rovals are so amazing that I don't know if I would get the Enve M50's again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    guess not!
    had to take em to the shop and re-lace them.
    they looked purdy bad and started failing.
    350$ out of pocket..............

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    I have exactly the same thing on the same location on my Enve M50's - one ride, followed by a hand wash. Same thing happened with my Reynolds 29'er carbons : when contacting Reynolds, they told me they didn't apply clearcoat on their rims. The surface is porous, which means dirt can enter - resulting in this 'haze'. It won't affect performance though, but sucks big time when you sell a kidney to get Enve's.

Perhaps we should send Enve a mail ?

After riding Specialized Roval SL's 2014 since spring this year, I found the M50's harsh, less dynamic, less comfortable (filtering trail shatter), and way stiffer (perhaps a little too stiff). They 'higher' rims have a lot to do with that. Weight wise, without rim tape and valves : Roval SL's are 1344g, Enve M50 1512g (with DT Swiss 240S RS-1 28H straight pull front hub and 240S 28H straigh pull rear, Sapim Race / Laser spokes and alu Pillar nipples).
    They Rovals are so amazing that I don't know if I would get the Enve M50's again.
    I don't see jack sh1t in that pic. I see a one way carbon layer and light reflecting on it creating a "white" band at the closest part of the radius.

No need to clear coat carbon, its impregnated in epoxy or other hybrid plastic matrix from the start. The clear coat only protects the epoxy from yellowing but not all epoxys turns yellow or degrade from uv light exposure.

The only haze I see in that pic is the carbon itself and the light reflecting on it. it seems to be very fine/thin filament carbon and thats why it doesn't look like a mirror like polished metal does, but that haze look is how its supposed to look imo.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by car bone View Post
    I see a one way carbon layer and light reflecting on it creating a "white" band at the closest part of the radius.
    That is not light reflecting, but dirt that entered the carbon surface, next to the spokes - resulting in a "white" band. Due to this, my Reynolds wheels looked after 5 rides like they were trashed for over a year.

transmitter~receiver

That is not light reflecting, but dirt that entered the carbon surface, next to the spokes - resulting in a "white" band. Due to this, my Reynolds wheels looked after 5 rides like they were trashed for over a year.
    White dirt, eh? U live in southern New Mexico, I s'pose?

mtbr member
    We have a smartass

Can also be dried soap, tire sealant, etc.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    We have a smartass

Can also be dried soap, tire sealant, etc.
    You're all wrong. It's obviously jizz. Someone saw those desirable Enve rims and just got a little overexcited is all...
    Fall in Fruita/GJ. F' yeah! Lunch Loops are riding sweet and so is everything else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLd View Post
    You're all wrong. It's obviously jizz. Someone saw those desirable Enve rims and just got a little overexcited is all...
    Now I must clean coffee off my screen.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Don't run jizz as sealant people!!

Specialized sucks ass.

~ B A D A S S ~
    Imo the phenomenon looks optical/surface dependant. just look how it disappears around the spoke holes where the tension is high, the light gets reflected somewhere else. This is quite similar to how they test optical surfaces for curvature, flatness, surface qual, focal length, how sphericial (or parabolical/hyperbolical) they are, max realistic resolution and so on, These are often quoted in like 1/4 or 1/8 wavelength (thats nanometers) out of spec compared to the theoretically perfect ones. And all this is visible in pics or with your eyes.

Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Deleted due to upsetting ozzybmx
    Last edited by FlaMtnBkr; 12-12-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Fat & Single
    As mentioned a squillion times in this thread. The nipples that fail are "pillar" branded alu nipples, these are non anodized or coated, so wide open to corrosion of any type.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    While I didn't read all squillion posts, I was just pointing out possible problems, many of which had already been suggested, and possible solutions. Apparently you have it all figured out because the nipples aren't anodized. I'll retract my post since it obviously bothers you. Good luck with your wheels.

Fat & Single
    I'm not upset, its doesn't bother me at all. I took the time to answer your question and simply pointed out that if you had "bothered" to read the first few post of this topic it would have saved you asking the question in the first place.

My issues was nearly 2 years ago going on the date when I started this topic, wheels have been 100% since going brass ENVE nipples.

Cheers
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I did read the first page and it was not mentioned there. But you're right, I didn't bother to read the next ten pages and skipped to the last.

Regardless, I realize the nipples being aluminum is a problem. And not being anodized just makes it worse. But being aluminum is not the 'why', which is what I was attempting to discuss. And it looks like people are still having problems so it doesn't sound like it has been fixed or even addressed? Maybe this is wrong and it has been fixed on new wheels?

Obviously the easiest solution is replacing with brass nipples which is what you did. But an expensive high end wheelset shouldn't need that and it's adding weight you didn't sign up for when dropping a bunch of coin.

But it sounds like people have addressed the problem enough and my input isn't going to change anything when the change needs to come from the company. So I was beating a dead horse which doesn't help anything.

No hard feelings and I hope your wheels are working great now that you have the bugs worked out.

I will keep searching for the answer to one of my questions, of ammonia in home brew tire sealant attacking aluminum rims, elsewhere.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaMtnBkr View Post
    And it looks like people are still having problems so it doesn't sound like it has been fixed or even addressed? Maybe this is wrong and it has been fixed on new wheels?

Obviously the easiest solution is replacing with brass nipples which is what you did. But an expensive high end wheelset shouldn't need that
    My issues raised its head really quickly, my wheels were less than a year old and popping spokes. ENVE addressed the issue immediately and sent me replacement nipples (to me) as I build my own wheels and I trust my build better than anyone else I know (cost wise too), I rebuilt my wheels and they have been 100% ever since.

BTW ENVE have now built all wheels with their lightweight brass nipples, any issues arising lately and in the future are old build wheels just starting to have issues.

It's no rocket science, ENVE are at the pinnacle of wheel innovation , you have to push a new product... you can only do so much testing, who would have known they would have had immediate issues in dry climates and slowly shown issues in more damp environments.

They have looked after anyone who has had a problem, so that's a definite win for them.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

~ B A D A S S ~
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post

ENVE are at the pinnacle of wheel innovation ,
    my azz.

Specialized sucks ass.

Fat & Single
    my azz.
    Bonz'e... 5 years ago there were only a few who made carbon MTB rims, ENVE were up there with Reynolds, Easton... ect there is no doubt they done their bit to get carbon MTB wheels on the map.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Fat & Single
    ENVE's fail with alloy nipples has made the choices with Chi carbon rims easier, once bitten, twice shy... ENVE's fail has paved the way.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

~ B A D A S S ~
    I don't know what credibility reynolds and easton has, if any at all, regarding wheels. I buy my rims from Mavic and DT, they at least know what they're doing.

These (enve) wheels are obviously **** wheels that will fail.

Specialized sucks ass.

transmitter~receiver

I don't know what credibility reynolds and easton has, if any at all, regarding wheels. I buy my rims from Mavic and DT, they at least know what they're doing.

This is an obviously stupid post.
    That is all...

change is good
    Sep 2004

Not true. My nipples went bad and I break a spoke about every three months but they are by far the best wheels I've had. I have a set of LB wheels that were just built. So far, so good. I'm partial to the ENVEs because of my history with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Wow, that sure doesn't sound like a case FOR Enve wheels?! That sounds like a terrible track record. I don't remember a spoke breaking except on a junk high dollar wheelset that kept having issues (rim cracking was big problem) and that I eventually tossed and built a reliable set I still have.

How are your wheels not "**** wheels that will fail"? Just curious cause they must make up for those downfalls in some way for you to still like them so much. Or did I completely miss sarcasm?

change is good
    Sep 2004

I weigh 250lbs, built like a linebacker, ride a 29er, broken several frames, and I love east coast rock gardens. Yes, they are more durable than the Mikesee wheelset I had. No fault against him, it was the components. I break spokes on all my wheels with the ENVEs having less frequency of breakage.

~ B A D A S S ~
    IMO you got the wrong tool for the job!! get the strongest spokes you can get. Breaking spokes is totally unacceptable to me at least. I know DT has some really beefy ones. alpine or something. Don't fool yourself with this ww crap. But since you have been a member here since 2004 I'm sure you already know this.

Specialized sucks ass.

change is good
    Sep 2004

IMO you got the wrong tool for the job!! get the strongest spokes you can get. Breaking spokes is totally unacceptable to me at least. I know DT has some really beefy ones. alpine or something. Don't fool yourself with this ww crap. But since you have been a member here since 2004 I'm sure you already know this.
    Preaching to the choir. Alpine IIIs on my rigid SS. I was so pissed. I may have to go to different drive side spokes on the ENVEs but the Aerolites are breaking at the nipple.

~ B A D A S S ~
    What spokes are you running now?? I would go alpine all over and be done with it. Or even titanium if it still wouldn't hold up. 6al4v that is. its a lot better than all stainless **** imo. not thinking of spokes specifically though. but yeah 6al4v is practically unbreakable in most conditions. and I pretty much break stuff for a living.

Specialized sucks ass.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Alpine III/36h Flows/Phil Woods on my rigid SS. The spokes on the SS break mostly at the nipple and the occasionally the middle. The Aerolites break at the nipple and I was under the impression since the spoke is thick there (2.0 I believe) and the Aerolites are way strong, going slightly larger at the nipple with Alpine IIIs may not be of benefit. I could work on my skills.......

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456