Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    meow, meow.
    +1 on nipples not creating a watertight seal against the rim.

Fat & Single
    The face where the nipple touches the rim was the only part not corroded, its also got up to 120kgf holding it in position.

When I inflated my new setup the pressure of the air on the new tubeless tape pushes it down and the air hissed out through the valve stem so if theres antwhere moisture is getting in it will be the valve stem even with the ' O' ring in place.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

ENVE wheel nipple corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Condensation occurs when going from warm to cold. The can coming from the fridge generates condensation when the warm air contacts the cold can and the moisture condenses out of the air; the can "emits" nothing. So it would be going from his ride into his house that might generate moisture on the bike and parts.

lol
    There were two subjects referenced: cold can and hot day. The moisture emits (like the moon emits light) from the combination of the cold can and hot day.

I have seen a layer of condensation on my bike when bringing it from the cold garage to the basement to wrench.
    I have seen the same layer after doing night laps at 24 hour races and bringing into the condo for rest.

Trail Ninja
    Those nipples look corroded through and through, turning into powder. What kind of corrosion is that again?

mtbr member
    What kind/brand of brass nipples can be used to replace the alloy ones?

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    Those nipples look corroded through and through, turning into powder. What kind of corrosion is that again?
    Fuc%ed corrosion, you have just bought 2-3K worth of wheels, any corrosion is not good .... but i can now say, you get what you pay for. ENVE have acknowledged the issue and are dealing with it 100%, they have done really well by me and have sorted my issue.

They are a relitively new company with arguably the best carbon wheels on the market, they have encountered a stumbling block in dry climate/stans/gorilla/galvanic corrosion, no one could have predicted it but they are working through it very professionally.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Fuc%ed corrosion, you have just bought 2-3K worth of wheels, any corrosion is not good .... but i can now say, you get what you pay for. ENVE have acknowledged the issue and are dealing with it 100%, they have done really well by me and have sorted my issue.

They are a relitively new company with arguably the best carbon wheels on the market, they have encountered a stumbling block in dry climate/stans/gorilla/galvanic corrosion, no one could have predicted it but they are working through it very professionally.
    Certainly like the sound of a 100% solution. And this thread has been good at putting out info to find a fix. What are components of the solution they have come up with for you.

Trail Ninja
    For reference, what did you wash your bike with?

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    What are components of the solution they have come up with for you.
    Lets say my corrosion issue was pretty bad and they have got me to test out a new nipple, cant say too much more as ive signed a confidentiality agreement.

Only sharing some info as i started this thread, im super happy with enve's input and can say again..... you get what you pay for.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis View Post
    For reference, what did you wash your bike with?
    Water only, its an occasional hose down.... not even every ride, bikes stay pretty clean here.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    The face where the nipple touches the rim was the only part not corroded, its also got up to 120kgf holding it in position.

When I inflated my new setup the pressure of the air on the new tubeless tape pushes it down and the air hissed out through the valve stem so if theres antwhere moisture is getting in it will be the valve stem even with the ' O' ring in place.
    Could the corrosion on nipple faces be ground off against rim to bare metal when you unwound the nipples?

But the valve stem hissing is a strong argument for nipple sealing actually happening on Enve rims (I haven't run mine tubeless, never noticed the hiss).

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hopefully a solution will soon be available. In ordering a wheelset I would not want the Pillar alloy nipples used if they even are anymore.

Trail Ninja
    I live inland desert conditions. Wonder if I should do anything with my wheels, even though they've been running for years. I took a look inside and I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

I just figured Enve knew what they were doing and that corrosion shouldn't be a prob. I have first gen rims. If I saw that, I'd be pretty upset too. I thought corrosion was something that coastal and northern climate (salted roads) and maybe heavy sweaters would be more of a problem for. You saying you live in a dry desert like climate and using only water for washing. Time to look up galvanic corrosion to see if it needs some sort of catalyst, like an electrolyte (salt).

meow, meow.
    Varaxis, since your rims are that old, they may have been built with nipples from a batch that Pillar actually took care to anodize..

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

It should also be pointed out that galvanic corrosion does not only occur in water. Galvanic cells can form in any electrolyte, including moist air or soil, and chemical environments.

From the Internet.

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Two loose spokes led to discovering significant corrosion. ENVE has their own brass nipples in stock. Unfortunately, my LBS broke many spokes during disassembly and the wheels were built by them, so I'm out of a bike to ride for a couple of weeks, and cost Aerolite spokes plus new nipples plus the cost of rebuild. My first gen ENVEs were fine, but I used a split tube or tubes. But....I had to pay to respoke my SS wheels with Alpine IIIs, so there yah go.

mtbr member
    Wow, talk about timing..... I was wondering if there was any corrosion issues between aluminium nips/carbon wheels and was gonna search this today and just came across this!

I am planning on putting a set of carbon rims using Industry 9 hubs/spokes that I have but am now a bit concerned with the aluminium spokes having issues - I suppose as long as the anodizing on the spoke is intact I shouldnt have an issue......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Wow, talk about timing..... I was wondering if there was any corrosion issues between aluminium nips/carbon wheels and was gonna search this today and just came across this!

I am planning on putting a set of carbon rims using Industry 9 hubs/spokes that I have but am now a bit concerned with the aluminium spokes having issues - I suppose as long as the anodizing on the spoke is intact I shouldnt have an issue......
    save the hassle and use brass nipples. peace of mind is worth the weight gain which is marginal

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    save the hassle and use brass nipples. peace of mind is worth the weight gain which is marginal
    Good idea, except Industry 9 spokes dont use nipples.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ano is not the problem. All Enves nipples are ano. It's the static charge causing the problem.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29or6to4 View Post
    Ano is not the problem. All Enves nipples are ano. It's the static charge causing the problem.
    My bad, I thought that having a hard anodized nipple it would be ok. So then I should really avoid using a carbon rim and the Industry 9 spokes as it *could* lead to a problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well I remember some engineering guru saying some type of grease will do the trick. Look back earlier posts. That should help.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

mtbr member
    OK, so I am not crazy - on page 3 of this thread people were mentioning it was because non-anodized nipples were being used in the Enve builds.

Also on page 3 it mentions using marine grease - to do the trick. I think I will place a call to Industry 9 and get their take on the situation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    You are correct. People said both but I had found out from Enve engineers that the pillars were and are anodized. Now have switched to brass.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Quote Originally Posted by 29or6to4 View Post
    You are correct. People said both but I had found out from Enve engineers that the pillars were and are anodized. Now have switched to brass.
    If Enve was using anodized nipples all along someone would have corrected this thread much sooner than your post.

There are pictures clearly showing the Pillar nipples. Please share pictures of the anodized pillar nipples that look exactly like the non anno.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast