Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    transmitter~receiver

ENVE wheel nipple corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    possible leakage of Stans through gorilla tape
    Gorilla tape seems to me to have a bunch of holes in the backing layer that are only covered by the adhesive...
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 02-14-2013 at 06:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

Fat & Single
    I'll never use it again. 3M tensalized packing tape is the go.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'll never use it again. 3M tensalized packing tape is the go.
    Which variety, exactly? And where do you buy it? Seems hard to find small quantities of stuff like that.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    Which variety, exactly? And where do you buy it? Seems hard to find small quantities of stuff like that.
    Google 3M 8898
    I was never able to find less than 10 60m rolls, and its not all that much cheaper than Stan's tape, even when bought in quantity, and it is thinner than Stan's tape.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks. Guess it's not worth the hassle if it's not much cheaper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Google 3M 8898
    I was never able to find less than 10 60m rolls, and its not all that much cheaper than Stan's tape, even when bought in quantity, and it is thinner than Stan's tape.
    Here you go: Welcome to R.S.Hughes

I've taped and re-taped 4 sets of wheels for almost 3 years one one roll. Definitely cheaper than stans. As a bonus, it comes in two colors

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by compengr View Post
    Here you go: Welcome to R.S.Hughes

I've taped and re-taped 4 sets of wheels for almost 3 years one one roll. Definitely cheaper than stans. As a bonus, it comes in two colors
    Killer!! Thanks!
    My only question is why do you retape your wheels every year?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Killer!! Thanks!
    Broken or damages spokes and rim changes for the most part.

Fat & Single
    Killer!! Thanks!
    I had a 72mm roll and a 24mm roll bought and paid for from RS Hughes, they emailed me 2 days later and told me the shipping to aus was $120 for 2 rolls of tape via FedEx !

For anyone my side of the pond go to element14 for it but there is only a couple of sizes.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks for all this awesome discussion and info. I'm considering some new 9000 C-24 wheels for my road bike and researched my way here. Where does Enves or any typical composite material rate on anodic index scale compared to brass and aluminum?

~ B A D A S S ~
    I mark a door by using a vernier caliper for accurate distance and put small pieces of tape there. then I just line up the tape I want at a certain width with the small ones I already taped to the door. And then I just cut it off at the corner. Whats left on the door is the correct width tape.

Edit: sorry I was supposed to quote ozzy but somehow I was to incompentent to actually pull it off.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartbicycles View Post
    Specialized sucks ass.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    After reading Ozzys account and then hearing a little rattle in my rear wheel, I decided to have a look inside my Enves.

Now the front wheel was re-strung 3 months ago after a big off and the rear has been on for 12 months. I stripped down both wheels and found corrosion as suspected. ENVE wheel nipple corrosion.-al-nipples-2.jpg

So I replaced all of the nipples with brass nipples this time, hopefully I will get better wheel life out of them. Some of the nipples were so corroded that it was difficult to get them out or to get the spoke out. 8 spokes were damaged due to the nipple corrosion. I replaced a 9th spoke because I must have chomped a branch or something sometime.

Some nipples were destroyed, here are some with a little pitting ENVE wheel nipple corrosion.-al-nipples.jpg

I am showing this for the information of people in dry humid climates, watch your nipples on carbon wheels. As I have said above, I have had the same problem with DT Swiss carbon wheels as well. Im not here to bash any one manufacturer, it is the materials that we are working with here.

Kudos to Enve if they work to resolve this, as the problem is only prevalent in particular climates.

Thanks Ozzy for your story, it helped encourage me to check something I should have checked earlier.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    I am showing this for the information of people in dry humid climates, watch your nipples on carbon wheels.
    What's a dry humid climate?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    What's a dry humid climate?
    Georgia, in a drought. Or damn near most of the southeast in the summer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Good point meltingfeather, seems like a conflicted statement indeed.

Come on down to Australia and we'll show you some great tracks to ride. Dusty, hot and dry. Yet, very humid, you'll be sweating like you have never done before. It will melt your feathers.
    It is the sweating that eats em, in my opinion. It rains, and it is wet and cool yes, but the electrolysis isn't as bad with out the higher temps that we can get. Then, after the rain, moisture is present and the heat returns to make things sweat some more, because they didn't sweat enough before hand. It's the heat combined with humidity we get here. Saps the life out of you on long climbs. Well, that's what a sumize. Cheers

mtbr member
    "So I replaced all of the nipples with brass nipples this time"

What kind/brand brass nipples did you use?

Fat & Single
    Darwin here in Oz.... 35degC hot as fu#k and 95% humidity !

Not a pleasant place to be nevermind ride a bike, im breaking out in a sweat that isnt mine even thinking about it..... soaked to the skin 24/7.

In South Oz where i am its up to 45deg and really dry but i dont ride in that, 32deg is my limit and my bikes live in an aircon'd room in my house
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

In South Oz where i am its up to 45deg and really dry but i dont ride in that, 32deg is my limit and my bikes live in an aircon'd room in my house
    I wonder if condensation occurs when going from the AC room to outside? I know I have seen a sheen of condensation on my bike but can't remember when, or how drastic the temp change was.

I think of an aluminum can coming from the fridge on hot day and all the moisture that emits.

Fat & Single
    Its a dry 22deg. Besides the nipples are completely sealed inside the wheel, they are not subjected to the outside.

The nipples are sealed inside the rim with gorilla tape on the other side.

Im just ruling out a constant wet atmosphere for the issue.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

AZ
    banned
    Its a dry 22deg. Besides the nipples are completely sealed inside the wheel, they are not subjected to the outside.

The moisture could be introduced with the air that you inflate your tires with. Add the known corrosive properties of Stan's and the issue is compounded. A "dry" air source might be prudent to help preserve the stock ENVE nipples. Just a thought.

Fat & Single
    Why what a beautiful insight AZ

The real base issue is the non-ano soft alu nipples, the new brass are just as light.... cant say much more but ENVE have gone beyond their expectations.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    The real base issue is the non-ano soft alu nipples, the new brass are just as light.... cant say much more but ENVE have gone beyond their expectations.
    Agreed, since condensation would be distilled water, or pH neutral, and thus non-conductive...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

www.derbyrims.com

The Enve spokes are sealed somehow? That is not the case with any other wheel I'm aware of.

It does seem you had some bad nipples or moist shipping or storage conditions before you got the wheels. Only a few others have reported this problem. Good to hear Enve is taking care of you, finally.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    I wonder if condensation occurs when going from the AC room to outside? I know I have seen a sheen of condensation on my bike but can't remember when, or how drastic the temp change was.

I think of an aluminum can coming from the fridge on hot day and all the moisture that emits.
    Condensation occurs when going from warm to cold. The can coming from the fridge generates condensation when the warm air contacts the cold can and the moisture condenses out of the air; the can "emits" nothing. So it would be going from his ride into his house that might generate moisture on the bike and parts.

The inside is - theoretically - sealed from the inside by your tape. However, I had to pull boogers out of the rim cavity of mine a few months ago. Guess the gorilla tape let some sealant through into the cavity where the nipples are mounted. I'm a bit nervous and figure I'm going to have to inspect mine pretty soon. Since I re-taped it, no rattling/boogers in there, though.

Where the spokes go into the rim, however, isn't water or air tight as far as I can tell. Making that opening sealed would require a specific size and shape of spoke, and would make building the wheel pretty time consuming to set the spoke and then ensure it is, in fact, sealed. So I have to disagree that the nipples are completely sealed and would say they are completely open to the environment and only sealed from the sealant... hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    The moisture could be introduced with the air that you inflate your tires with. Add the known corrosive properties of Stan's and the issue is compounded. A "dry" air source might be prudent to help preserve the stock ENVE nipples. Just a thought.
    So now we're back to nitrogen for inflating our bike tires? Ugh! lol
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    10 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Condensation occurs when going from warm to cold. The can coming from the fridge generates condensation when the warm air contacts the cold can and the moisture condenses out of the air; the can "emits" nothing. So it would be going from his ride into his house that might generate moisture on the bike and parts.
    Other way around. Cold (relatively) bike into a warm, humid environment will generate condensation on the bike.
    You are right about the moisture condensing on the cold can. Your bike is not going to be cold when coming inside from outside and the air indoors is typically dried by air conditioning.
    Where the spokes go into the rim, however, isn't water or air tight as far as I can tell.
    I agree. Grease will help somewhat but isn't going to last forever.

So now we're back to nitrogen for inflating our bike tires? Ugh! lol
    lol
    I don't think the moisture that enters the tires with the inflation air is significant when compared to the sealant sloshing around in the tire, which contains a signficant quantity of water.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast