Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    certified mtb addict
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Heres the nipples from the rear wheel...

Wow. That is a horror show.

I know Enve doesn't make the nipples, but this has put a real dent in my attitude toward their gear.

mad dog
    May 2007
    I bought a pair of used Enve's "in awesome condition" ha, ha....

exactly the same issue on front, am yet to look at the rear.

Seller claimed wheels are a year old which seems about right from above posts.

I bought a full set of new nipples and then snapped 2 spokes getting them off....
    Not sure if i should just go straight for the brass nips...

I have a set of crests rims with bladed spokes and alu nipples which are almost 3 yrs old and have never had a spoke spanner on them.

Enve have not answered my email from 2 weeks ago yet. I will try the direct contact Ozzy pmed me....

I bought the wheels for 2 main reasons (over other options)
    1 Enve's reputation of bullet proof wheels.
    2 Enve's reputation for awesome customer service.

Levi Early
    well any thought of purchasing a set of these wheels just went out the window....

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by mad dog26 View Post
    I bought the wheels for 2 main reasons (over other options)
    1 Enve's reputation of bullet proof wheels.
    2 Enve's reputation for awesome customer service.
    I brought in a set of ENVEs here recently and like the way they built up and have been riding them for a little over 2 months. After seeing this thread I wanted to check the nipples. I did not find fluid in the rim which is a plus but they are already showing signs of corrosion. ENVE may not cover nipple corrosion but if that is the case they will soon have significant issues asking nearly $3K for a wheelset.

For a company taking a small financial hit offering replacement nipples with a brass option it would provide a significant return on the investment. If they deny replacements then the company will be short lived. Will follow up after I speak with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have been battling this same issue on albeit different (and much much cheaper) wheelset. Been riding since 1990 and have never had to deal with this before. Very discouraging.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8

mtbr member
    I know this is an Enve thread, but has anyone had any issues w/ Reynolds rims/nipples and corrosion?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Plays with tools
    I feel the need to stick up for Enve. I've built ~100 of their wheels and I've owned 3 different sets and have several customers with them. Only one of them has had problems with nipple corrosion. On top of that their customer service is top notch. I've seen them warranty things they shouldn't have, just to keep a customer happy. So even though this thread makes it look like everybody is having this problem my sample size is a little bigger and I'm inclined to say that it is a relatively small number of wheels that are suffering from this.
    Last edited by customfab; 02-07-2013 at 04:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I hope your are right customfab, as I just bought a set of ENVE AM 29er wheels over other carbon options due to their "known" reliability. Fingers crossed!

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I know this is an Enve thread, but has anyone had any issues w/ Reynolds rims/nipples and corrosion?
    Just built up a set a week ago of Reynolds but used Brass nipples. Even with Alloy nipples I would expect that on the Reynolds would not have the issue as bad as you would see the corrosion (If it started).

On the Enve the nipples are hidden from view. If you don't check them then they "could" fail while riding. After talking with Enve it sounds like they are aware of and in process of a solution. From the sounds of it Enve cares about their product and customers. Hopefully a solution is on the horizon with it being available to customers seeing corrosion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The decision to use non anodized nipples still baffles me. ENVE employs some of the best engineers to design a rim but then go with a nipple that compromises longevity and rider safety? Where were the engineers when this business decision was made? Classic example of the left hand not talking to the right and a business person making an engineers decision.

To all the engineers out there - don't back down when an accountant, product manager, or supply chain inserts their misguided opinion on your product.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I don't know why a product like Tef-Gel is not used. I use it on boats and have had no problems.
    TEFF GEL TEFGEL Corrosion Eliminator at West Marine

Plays with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by dlennard View Post
    I don't know why a product like Tef-Gel is not used. I use it on boats and have had no problems.
    TEFF GEL TEFGEL Corrosion Eliminator at West Marine
    That stuff sounds cool. Description says it's for nickle based alloys, does it work on aluminum?

mtbr member
    What size are the nipples that Enve uses? would like to get a wrench to have on hand.

Would dripping some oil on the nipples keep them from corroding?

ups and downs
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

meow, meow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tree View Post
    What size are the nipples that Enve uses? would like to get a wrench to have on hand.
    3/16". I used Park Tool SW-16.3 to build mine.

As for corrosion protection, I'd try to get them anodized. It's a real shame that 7075 alloy is used bare.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit Rider View Post
    To all the engineers out there - don't back down when an accountant, product manager, or supply chain inserts their misguided opinion on your product.
    That's when you make them sign-off on your design spec/drawings...cite names, company(s), and your objections, and have it locked into the project documentation...from experience in the EPC(L) industry. It's Engineering, Procurement, and Construction...what they don't tell you in the private sector is the "Litigation" part New grads, beware!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    I feel the need to stick up for Enve. I've built ~100 of their wheels and I've owned 3 different sets and have several customers with them. Only one of them has had problems with nipple corrosion. On top of that their customer service is top notch. I've seen them warranty things they shouldn't have, just to keep a customer happy. So even though this thread makes it look like everybody is having this problem my sample size is a little bigger and I'm inclined to say that it is a relatively small number of wheels that are suffering from this.
    I am with you on this. I have seen Enve warranty some things that no way would I ever think they should have replaced. I have built hundreds of Enve rims and have not seen a single case of nipple corrosion. I do coat the nipples in heavy marine grease on the outside and inside on the threads. I started doing that from the beginning because of the problems I have seen with galvanic corrosion between carbon and aluminum parts.

I have actually seen many different parts on bikes have corrosion issues, it is not an alloy nipple problem. There are so many dissimilar metals touching each other on bikes that corrosion can be a big problem depending on your environment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ligero View Post
    I am with you on this. I have seen Enve warranty some things that no way would I ever think they should have replaced. I have built hundreds of Enve rims and have not seen a single case of nipple corrosion. I do coat the nipples in heavy marine grease on the outside and inside on the threads. I started doing that from the beginning because of the problems I have seen with galvanic corrosion between carbon and aluminum parts.

I have actually seen many different parts on bikes have corrosion issues, it is not an alloy nipple problem. There are so many dissimilar metals touching each other on bikes that corrosion can be a big problem depending on your environment.

Well Ligero. I hear what your saying about YOU building Enve wheels without nipple corrosion. But you obviously know something Enve doesn't. Because the wheels I bought from Enve and they built does not have a lube on them and there in lies the problem. WHY NOT?

I brought this issue to people's attention awhile ago with my Edges and they were very quick to rebuild at no charge. Enve rocks but why has a simple solution like lubing the nipples at build time not been adopted?

Food for thought.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 29or6to4 View Post
    Well Ligero. I hear what your saying about YOU building Enve wheels without nipple corrosion. But you obviously know something Enve doesn't. Because the wheels I bought from Enve and they built does not have a lube on them and there in lies the problem. WHY NOT?

I brought this issue to people's attention awhile ago with my Edges and they were very quick to rebuild at no charge. Enve rocks but why has a simple solution like lubing the nipples at build time not been adopted?

Food for thought.
    Not really a good reason but time has a lot to do with it. When you have a huge backlog of orders and then you have to factor in another two steps (greasing and the cleanup after the build) to the build those steps may get skipped because of lack of time.

Not saying that is the reason or even a good excuse but something to consider.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Not really a good reason but time has a lot to do with it. When you have a huge backlog of orders and then you have to factor in another two steps (greasing and the cleanup after the build) to the build those steps may get skipped because of lack of time.

Defiantly something to consider. But they are losing quite a profit margin when you take in the time to warranty a wheel set. Tear down,new spokes, new bad nipples, build and ship...with a beautiful wheel box.
    High Ho Sultan, Lets GO

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

ENVE wheel nipple corrosion.

I wouldn't blame the builder as I bet they assumed an anodized nipple. The blame lies solely on the guy who put the nipples on the work bench.

Eliminate the root cause of the problem.

Fat & Single
    A short update from my issue. I cant say too much but im being looked after very well by ENVE on this issue now and can 100% say my faith in their Customer Service Dept is restored and they have surpassed what level of duty/care i would have even expected.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Hey Ozzy, sorry about those issues you are having. That stinks, but at least they are taking care of you. I do have a question, why not ti nipples? Is this not an option? I am also looking into Reynolds wheels with AL nipples from I9. I will ask if they have seen these issues as well.

Fat & Single
    Yo Maz, the non-anodized nipple issue is a first.... an soft alloy internal nipple in a tubeless wheel, sealed from the inside apart from a possible leakage of Stans through gorilla tape in a dry and dusty enviroment.... who would have guessed the reaction.

I was 100% alright about fixing the issue myself but now ENVE have got on the case and its all good.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Yo Maz, the non-anodized nipple issue is a first.... an soft alloy internal nipple in a tubeless wheel, sealed from the inside apart from a possible leakage of Stans through gorilla tape in a dry and dusty enviroment.... who would have guessed the reaction.

I was 100% alright about fixing the issue myself but now ENVE have got on the case and its all good.
    That's great to hear.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast