Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10
    Huckin' trails

ENVE wheel nipple corrosion.

Lol ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Huckin' trails

Anyway, 006_007 you'll be pleased to learn that I just finished installing all the 32 nipples on the front rim after 1.5 hours. All 12mm brass in electroplated black and gold, with lube on the nipples head.

ENVE wheel nipple corrosion.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1386518367.241202.jpg

Then later I was up till midnight lacing the wheel. Now I have to do the rear one.

Oh, and that I had pancakes for breakfast.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Huckin' trails

Well rear wheel is done too.

ENVE wheel nipple corrosion.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1386556579.279656.jpg

ENVE wheel nipple corrosion.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1386556712.562679.jpg

meow, meow.
    These are hookless, right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Only took an hour and a half per wheel? That is pretty cool. Any pics of how you actually did it?

Huckin' trails

Quote Originally Posted by AKamp View Post
    Only took an hour and a half per wheel? That is pretty cool. Any pics of how you actually did it?
    Well to be honest it was more like 6 hours total for both wheels to install the nipples, then lace them up.

You can't really take pictures of how-to, but it's easy to explain. Just take a long derailleur cable with both ends cut clean, then solder the tips so they don't fray. Next you need cable crimps that you will cut open so you can slide them onto the cable and crimp them on and off later. Then you insert the cable trough the farthest spoke hole and push it in till you can see it by the valve hole. Proceed to grab the tip of the cable with needle nose pliers and pull it out off the rim by the valve hole. Pull enough cable so you can slide in a nipple and a crimp and pull everything back to seat the nipple in the hole, making sure the cable will be long enough not to be pulled back into the rim. Next tie a rubber-band around the nipple to prevent it from falling back into the rim. Then pull back the cable till the crimp comes out and remove the crimp by pinching it the opposite way you first pinched it. Then pull the cable back out from the nipple and start over again with the following farthest hole, etc. Also I put some lube on the nipple head before pulling it into the rim so it would lube the nipple seat on the rim. Use silicone or teflon lube on the cable if it doesn't slide easily.

It's just painful when you're doing it all over again for the third time because of bad spoke lenghts and other planning issues. But this time it's for good. Tires, rotors and cassette are mounted, nect step is to ride to the bike coop where I'll have the pro Park trying stand and the tension meter so I can bring them up to high tension and perfectly round and straight.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    These are hookless, right?
    Nope, they are the 30mm wide by 33mm deep 26" DH rims from LB. They are UST compatible and have a nice profile, but aren't hookless. They were originally intended to be hookless, but many people told LB they wanted clincher rims afterward. I wish they would have kept going with the hookless design though.

meow, meow.
    David, thank you for clarification. But why did you want them hookless? What are the advantages vs hooked besides easier manufacturing?

Huckin' trails

Quote Originally Posted by J. Random Psycho View Post
    David, thank you for clarification. But why did you want them hookless? What are the advantages vs hooked besides easier manufacturing?
    2 main advantages, first is stronger sidewalls and easier/cheaper to manufacture (big deal in carbon tech) and second is the possibility of higher sidewalls to prevent burping even more and easier to seat the tire tubeless.

But stronger rims are the real deal with hookless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Anyway, 006_007 you'll be pleased to learn that I just finished installing all the 32 nipples on the front rim after 1.5 hours. All 12mm brass in electroplated black and gold, with lube on the nipples head.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386518367.241202.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	853038

Then later I was up till midnight lacing the wheel. Now I have to do the rear one.

Oh, and that I had pancakes for breakfast.

Ok, but I was never concerned about how you installed your nipples (nor did I learn anything from it)

Looks good - hope you have the right size spokes this time!

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Ok, but I was never concerned about how you installed your nipples (nor did I learn anything from it)

Looks good - hope you have the right size spokes this time!
    Thanks. While we're at it, let's keep it on the corrosion topic. I also switched all my bolts and nuts to stainless, as well as my cables and spokes are stainless too. I'm gonna hit the snow trails with this bike in a few weeks once it's packed down.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    agreed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    FYI, just weighted the difference between 32 pillar internal brass nipples and 32 DT external aluminium nipples and it is 8.1g...

I can live with the extra weight

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Is that the rattle sound?

This is my bike... a 2013 F29 Ultimate. The noise is getting louder and louder...

Enve front wheel rattle sound. - YouTube

Already checked... and thetre's nothing to do with the tire or sealant.
    The sound comes from inside the rim.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eduluke View Post
    Is that the rattle sound?

This is my bike... a 2013 F29 Ultimate. The noise is getting louder and louder...

Enve front wheel rattle sound. - YouTube

Already checked... and thetre's nothing to do with the tire or sealant.
    The sound comes from inside the rim.
    That's what mine sounded like with the nipple corrosion issue, however, when I removed the rim strip in addition to corroded nipples I also found little balls / clumps of hardened spoke prep compound rolling around inside which I believe was also causing some of the noise (like ball bearings rolling around inside the rim). Easy enough to check. Pull up the rim strip and look at each nipple with a bright flashlight. It will be quite apparent if you have a nipple corrosion issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I have the same problem.

(sorry about my english)

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    ENVE solves the problem under warranty???

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10