Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Enve Twenty6 AM vs Carbon Haven

I am trying to lighten/speed up my Mojo HD currently with Flows and Stan Hubs. I have narrowed it down to a set of carbon rims. I am 180 geared up. here is how I see them stack up

Haven carbons
    1450 grams
    True UST
    36 POE - higher then I have ever ridden
    21mm inner diameter
    2 year no question asked warranty
    Hubs - older models have some issues, but newer ones seem ok.
    Hard to get spokes- not to worried
    Plenty of reviews, been out for a while.

ENVE twenty6 AM
    DT 240- 1450 g
    Kings - 1550. g
    24mm inner diameter
    No reviews of the AM models
    Not ust. Needs rim tape. But supposedly designed for tubless?
    Based on width sounds like they just shoved a bigger bladder in there DH mold ( same outer diameter but the am is actually wider inside)

I am leaning to the Havens, known entity, good warranty.

I know wider rims help hold the tire better and change the profile of the tire. But is 21 wide enough, especially true UST? Have tire treds even been designed with 24mm in mind? To me this seems to be the biggest difference on a daily basis (as opposed to rare breakage)

advice welcome

mtbr member
    Keep in mind that the Haven wheelset is a "system" wheelset, and if you're okay with that, then go with it. Have you found out how long the new model hubs have been out, and are you comfortable with them, or would you just be intending to rely on the Easton warranty? If you want to go with a true UST rim, maybe this is the better choice for you.

The ENVE AM rims have been designed with UST compatible rim beads and seats. There are reviews, and published for the AM rims. Besides ENVE stating that their clincher rims are all now tubeless on their website in various ways, you could also contact ENVE to confirm this fact. From all I read, ENVE invests a lot of time and money into R&D, and their AM rims were designed, tested, proven and released way before they ever thought of developing a DH rim. From reading their press release, the DH rim outer dimension is 31mm (30mm listed on the website) and the inner dimension is 21mm, which says to me that the DH rim has a thicker bead hook than the AM rim, and this makes a whole lot of sense to me. A competent independent wheel builder can build you a custom wheelset using these rims, or you can place an order with ENVE for them to do the wheel build. Lots of options.

If you are concerned about inner rim widths, you might want to also consider the range of inner rim widths available on aluminum rims, and all the various tire widths used on all those rims. Think of the Mavic EX823 rim for FR, also a true UST rim.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    I am trying to lighten/speed up my Mojo HD currently with Flows and Stan Hubs. I have narrowed it down to a set of carbon rims. I am 180 geared up. here is how I see them stack up

Haven carbons
    1450 grams
    True UST
    36 POE - higher then I have ever ridden
    21mm inner diameter
    2 year no question asked warranty
    Hubs - older models have some issues, but newer ones seem ok.
    Hard to get spokes- not to worried
    Plenty of reviews, been out for a while.

ENVE twenty6 AM
    DT 240- 1450 g
    Kings - 1550. g
    24mm inner diameter
    No reviews of the AM models
    Not ust. Needs rim tape. But supposedly designed for tubless?
    Based on width sounds like they just shoved a bigger bladder in there DH mold ( same outer diameter but the am is actually wider inside)

I am leaning to the Havens, known entity, good warranty.

I know wider rims help hold the tire better and change the profile of the tire. But is 21 wide enough, especially true UST? Have tire treds even been designed with 24mm in mind? To me this seems to be the biggest difference on a daily basis (as opposed to rare breakage)

advice welcome
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm wondering the same thing as you and am trying to prep for a custom build (I'm debating 26 or 29er). I just went through pro wheel builder.com and built up a set of enve's with king hubs, rim tape, and 32 spokes and they came out weighing over 1858 grams. I was suprised they weigh that much compared to the Eastons.

Granted I feel like the kings are a better hub (and I'd be buying local). What's throwing even more of a kink is the non-carbon havens. For the price and weight it seems like a no brainer. There half the price and only 200 grams heaveier than the carbon per Easton's website.

The Carbon eastons are around 2200 and the aluminum are only 900, that's a lot of coin I could spend on a nice fork or towards a frame. More food for thought.

Commit or eat sh!t
    My Crossmax SX has 21mm ID, and no issues with tire profile.

Another option you might look at are the cheap Chinese carbon rims that everyone has been looking to buy. $150 vs. $1000 Enve ones.

(Cheap) Chinese Carbon Rims?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by buddiesconfusion View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing as you and am trying to prep for a custom build (I'm debating 26 or 29er). I just went through pro wheel builder.com and built up a set of enve's with king hubs, rim tape, and 32 spokes and they came out weighing over 1858 grams. I was suprised they weigh that much compared to the Eastons.

Granted I feel like the kings are a better hub (and I'd be buying local). What's throwing even more of a kink is the non-carbon havens. For the price and weight it seems like a no brainer. There half the price and only 200 grams heaveier than the carbon per Easton's website.

The Carbon eastons are around 2200 and the aluminum are only 900, that's a lot of coin I could spend on a nice fork or towards a frame. More food for thought.
    Was that 1850 for the 29 inch? How much does rim tape way? Seems far off from 1550 on the ENVE site

I don't trust the Chinese ones. Carbon dosent bend it tacos. That's dangerous. If i was just doing cx I would consider it. But I have a trip planed to Moab and want to be able to trust my wheels.

Formerly of Kent
    A couple of points:

Both types of Enve rims (XC and AM), and both sizes, are UST.

My XC 29er wheels weigh 1440g. 28h, running DT 240s, with tape. Do the math, going to the slightly heavier rims, and you still have wheels well under 1600g.

Also, I'm fairly certain these rims will survive the apocalypse.

mtbr member
    AM 's are Not official UST, xc are

mtbr member
    Avoid the havens. I had 4 issues with the hubs. Newer hubs are the same design.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Bones2 if I remember right enve's website has the 1550gm weight with a non king hub and I think 28 aerolite spokes. Don't quote me. I think that's why the weight was so low. I don't think you can run the kings with 28 spokes or the aerolites. I'd check enve's site but I can't pull it uP on my iPhone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I finally pulled up the page your right it is 1554 gm with a king hub and 28 aerolite spokes. Is 28 enough spokes for an AM setup with a king hub?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus View Post
    Avoid the havens. I had 4 issues with the hubs. Newer hubs are the same design.
    wrong

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody View Post
    wrong
    Besides the preload adjuster, the hubs are the same.

Straight from easton.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My ENVE XC wheels rear with king hub, sapim cx ray spokes 32h 870grams
    front wheel 28h king 20mm hub 720grams. Will post ENVE DH rim with king hub weights when my LBS can get them!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I am currently researching the same thing for myself. As you mentioned the old easton hubs seemed to have had a lot of problems, which is kind of ridiculous considering how expensive the wheelset is. For me I just don't want to take the risk and I know the DT hubs are completely bulletproof so I'm leaning towards the enve with DT 240 hubs.

COTA member
    For me I just don't want to take the risk and I know the DT hubs are completely bulletproof so I'm leaning towards the enve with DT 240 hubs.
    Exactly, that is why I went with Enve XC29/DT240 on my new Jet 9 RDO. Running them tubeless with Geax AKA 2.2". Very pleased.

Poacher
    Sep 2010

Dry Side

Tubeless with rim strip? TnT ? Or no rim strip?

COTA member
    Enve's use Gorilla tape. One wrap ..

ENVE UST Kit Installation - YouTube

Not running Geax TNT, but one can if they want a stiffer sidewall.

mtbr member
    The new Easton preload system works perfect, period.

The enves are sick too. unfortunate you still have to wrap such exoensive rims with duct tape, wtf

mtbr member
    Im going to post just because Im so fricken stoked my wheels shipped will be here on monday.After much searching asking so on I got Mike C to build me some single speed
    race wheels and trusted him .I got Enve 29er xc rims Dt swiss 240's SS rear thrue axle
    Qr.Laced with dt comps front disc side,and Revolutions everywhere else.I think he said 3 cross front disc side 2 cross everywhere else.Should be uber light SS only wheels.
    Did I say Im stoked!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    You can get the Easton's for $1700 on ebay. I was hesitant at first but the seller has a 99.7% positive feedback rating from THOUSANDS of buyers, including numerous people that have bought $1800 road wheelsets from him.

I have Easton Haven aluminum wheels and I did have a different issue than most (brake rotor related...probably even MY fault) but Easton sent me a brand new wheel, total turnaround time of about 11 days. While the Easton's may or may not have an issue at some point, I trust them 110% to back up their product.

I priced the Enve's with DT240's and was quoted $2500. If I was paying full price for the Easton's, I may indeed go for the Enve's just so I could have the King hubs of my choice. However, for $800 less WITH a 2 year warranty, I'd go Easton. Good luck, you can't go wrong!!

COTA member
    Most places have at least 10% off the Enve wheels and rims. BikeBling for example, use the code "REALDEAL".

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Bones2, not the AM rims, but Fairwheelbikes just finished building these for me. Using these for XC/light AM riding.Troy Watson built these & he is one of the best in the Biz.
    Enve 26" UST, 28 hole, Fairwheel Enve custom decals.
    Sapim CX-Ray spokes.
    Pillar Alum. nipples.
    Extralite Ultra hubs. front 15mm TA.
    Thrilled with the weight @ 1169 grams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enve Twenty6 AM vs Carbon Haven-enve_extralite_studio_01_1.jpg  

Enve Twenty6 AM vs Carbon Haven-enve_extralite_studio_02_1.jpg  

Enve Twenty6 AM vs Carbon Haven-enve_extralite_front_scale_1.jpg  

Enve Twenty6 AM vs Carbon Haven-enve_extralite_rear_scale_1.jpg  

Commit or eat sh!t
    ^^ Awesome wheels. Congrats!

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input. Agree that the Enve cx wheels are great, true ust and light. But I (probably without grounds) think I would be worried on the days I do true AM riding. Have a Mojo HD with 180lb geared up rider. Pictures of tacoed wheels are scary. And the 18mm inner diameter sounds a little narrow.

The Enve AM's are NOT true UST and everyone keeps raving about the xc not the am's. Still haven't seen anyone talk about them except industry first rides.

1100 grams! Wow!

Still deciding, and think I am going to use these as motivation to loose 10 lbs myself

mtbr member
    Yody thanks for posting I know you put your wheels through a lot. I think the hubs are a non issue for me now. I know you went from haven to havoc aluminum, but I think the carbon havens should be at least as stiff and strong as the aluminum havocs

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast