The Mud Stud

Easton XC One or Shimano XT/Mavic 717 for lightweight trailrider. Please recommend!

Hey guys. I recently found a blazing deal on a set of easton xc one's and need a new wheelset for my stumpjumper fsr. I ride a mixture of aggressive cross country and moderate to aggressive trail riding. Nothing I do would I really consider quite all mountain worthy (though that definition blends into trail riding so whatever). I weigh 135 lbs with gear and my current wheelset is an older mavic crossride set. They are nice but a bit flexy and a reasonable weight, though not exactly light. Would I be ok with the XC One's, or would I be pushing them beyond their limits? I don't jump much anymore. When I do its no more than three or four feet but even thats rare now, and the trails around here are rooty and hilly midwest singletrack. I really like the lower weight that I'm pretty sure would have a nice effect on performance since its rolling mass. I also found a nice deal on a set of mavic xc 717 disc rims laced to shimano xt 778 hubs. They aren't as light, and are centerlock, so the all up weight would be about 200g heaver than the eastons and 150 lighter than my current set. Any input would be appreciated!
    Last edited by Dirt Bringer; 04-10-2012 at 12:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I recently bought a set of XC ones as well. Deal was too good to pass up. They were substantially lighter than my original Giant wheels on my Trance 4, but I have not had any substantial time on them yet to tell you if they're durable. I did read a lot of good reviews on the review section of the forum though and several magazines rated them well. They are light and stiff and I did notice in increase in acceleration with them. They are supposedly not tubeless ready according to Easton, so keep that in mind? Also, Easton recommends you use a cassette that uses a spider cog instead of each gear being seperate. So far I'm happy w/ mine. Just giving it time to be able to say if they're durable.

The Mud Stud
    I also found a set of shimano xt hubs laced to mavic 717 rims, I'm not sure if this is a better idea. They aren't as light (1750 grams) and a set of mavic crossrides (1900 grams). I'm not sure which is the better idea here for a lightweight trail rider.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    As light weight as you are, you should be able to have your pick of wheels. 135lbs is a very light rider. The XC ones should be able to easily handle that.