Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Easton Hubs Working Flawless After Free Axle Upgrade

For anyone who doesn't already know. Easton now is offering for free, a upgrade kit for your Easton Hubs (XC, Haven, and Havoc). This kit is offered to cure any problems with the old preloader adjuster system coming loose and not holding proper tension (see the articles below). I wanted to report back and let people know that I've been running this new system for over 6 months and the wheels have been bullet proof since. I was one of the first guys to run the Havens when they first released and also was the first to notice and post up about the loosening issue. Even working through the first gen axle issues, I've been a big proponent of the Easton Wheel systems, as the customer service has been excellent and I really believe the wheels to be some of the best complete systems offered on the market (yes I'm a bit of a fanboy) Not to pat my own back but I tend to put my wheels through plenty of abuse so if mine have not had an issue, I don't think anyone else will either. I logged over 1000 miles on my set of Havens and 1200 miles on my Havocs. The Mojo HD they are on is ridden the way it was intended. No posing/all shredding (okay, well a little posing, lol)

A lot of people have voiced interest in the Easton wheels but that they heard about bearing failures and the hubs coming loose. This was true but that problem is a thing of the past. My wheels now spin very freely with almost no drag but also have absolutely no side to side play, and it has stayed that way with no adjustments for the entire time since swapping to the new system. The old system seemed to be a hit or miss, with some people never having a problem, and some couldn't get the hubs to stay tight. Some of this might be user error and some a design flaw. Either way the new system takes the guessing out of the equation.

Again, I honestly feel that both the Havens and Havocs are some of the best Trail/AM/DH wheels on the market today if you want a complete wheel system. I wanted to write this post in case anyone is doing research and is avoiding these wheels due to an old problem that has been solved

Easton Cycling - Road, Mountain and Tri/TT Wheels, Seat Posts, Handlebars, Stems and more.

News: Easton Offers Free Hub Upgrade Kit | Mountain Bike Review

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Easton Hubs Working Flawless After Free Axle Upgrade

Good to know, mine are on order. Tired of adjusting both my sets.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Buying the Haven wheelset is probably the best upgrade I've done so far. They have really made the bike more enjoyable and look pretty cool too. I bought mine from Pricepoint and are the early 2012 run so they have the rear hub with model #MI-120 which means I have to send the wheel in to Easton for a complete Hub replacement as opposed to just getting the kit if the model# ends in "1" I decided to run the wheel and see how it goes and so far so good! We go on vacation in July so I'll send it in while we're gone to reduce the down time. I'll probably have them send me the extra spoke/nipple kit and the 15mm through axle conversion at the same time just in case. Love the Wheels!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdslw View Post
    Buying the Haven wheelset is probably the best upgrade I've done so far. They have really made the bike more enjoyable and look pretty cool too. I bought mine from Pricepoint and are the early 2012 run so they have the rear hub with model #MI-120 which means I have to send the wheel in to Easton for a complete Hub replacement as opposed to just getting the kit if the model# ends in "1" I decided to run the wheel and see how it goes and so far so good! We go on vacation in July so I'll send it in while we're gone to reduce the down time. I'll probably have them send me the extra spoke/nipple kit and the 15mm through axle conversion at the same time just in case. Love the Wheels!
    Awesome. The havens are definitely fun wheels. Good plan on sending them out while on vacatuon. Sucks to have to do it but its pretty good support that they will swap the entire hub out for free when yiu dont even have problems with the existing one.

mtbr member
    Love my Havens

COTA member
    Been happy with Easton EC90 XC Carbon 29" pre and post hub upgrade.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Not a user of Easton's wheels, but Bell-Easton knows how to keep their customers happy. Any issue I've ever had has resulted in replaced/repaired product (within warranty, granted, but without hassle).

mtbr member
    Nice that they give you the entire kit to replace bearings as well. Now I never have to worry about sending the wheel back in as I have all the tools myself and they were free at that!

mtbr member
    bump

wal
    mtbr member
    May 2012
    How long did it take for your upgrade kit to come in after you talked to easton? I emailed them a while back and haven't heard or received anything. Guess I need to call or email them again...

mtbr member
    I've emailed them twice in 2 weeks and have heard nothing...

On a slightly different subject, has anyone experienced breaking spokes. A friend of mine had 3 spokes break in the middle ( just as he was loading the bike into the truck). A clean break on 3 spokes approximately in the middle of the spoke. He heard a ping and spokes were loose/falling out of the hub. . No sign of damage to the spokes ( they are completely straight).

I am thinking its a defect of some sort, as I've ridden my wheelset much more than he has and we purchased the wheelset at the same time.

mtbr member

My havoc rear hub seems play free but I installed the 10mm bolt on axle kit a couple years ago. Any idea if the bolt on kit fixes the problem as well? Just curious.

Also in reply to above post... I have never even had to tighten my spokes since purchasing. My guess would be a defect.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
    Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkat273 View Post
    My havoc rear hub seems play free but I installed the 10mm bolt on axle kit a couple years ago. Any idea if the bolt on kit fixes the problem as well? Just curious.

Also in reply to above post... I have never even had to tighten my spokes since purchasing. My guess would be a defect.

Sounds like you have the older Havoc wheels. Those wheels never had an issue

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wal View Post
    How long did it take for your upgrade kit to come in after you talked to easton? I emailed them a while back and haven't heard or received anything. Guess I need to call or email them again...
    Took a lil bit to get a response for me, but they eventually hit me back and sent out the kit.

mtbr member

Cool Thanks

Here is the thing about equality, everyone's equal when they're dead. - Gavroche, Les MisÚrables

LCW
    mtbr member

Easton Hubs Working Flawless After Free Axle Upgrade

Got the shipping notice for my kit... I have the M1-121 Havens
    2011 Yeti 575 - 2015 Fox Float 36 RC2 160 / Fox Float X - 30.6 lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Cool-blue Rhythm

I have the 120's and the rear wheel is a qr, does anyone know if it can be upgraded to 12x142 thru axle? I appreciate any help thanks in advance.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

mtbr member
    I called the toll free number a week or so ago and received the bearing upgrade kit today, but they only send out one set of bearings, so I need to get back on the horn and get the other set.

EDIT: it's only the rear hub, so only one set of bearings is needed. Question for the OP, did you replace the front also or just the rear?
    Last edited by smithcreek; 05-20-2013 at 12:50 PM.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Its for rear only, to address the constant adjusting. Never heard of trouble with the front hubs.

Got mine, two sets actually because i have two pair havens.

Couple things:
    Don't be surprised if the tools come a few days after the bearings.

The new bearing nut is left hand threaded. Only problem is, my axle is right hand threaded on one of my two rear wheels. So, i had to reuse the old bearing nut, which, except for the threading, seems to be identical depth and other measurements. Hopefully no issues. Anyone else experience this or have an authoritative answer from Easton?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B-RAY View Post
    I have the 120's and the rear wheel is a qr, does anyone know if it can be upgraded to 12x142 thru axle? I appreciate any help thanks in advance.
    YES...If you have your proof of purchase, and the wheels are within the two-year warranty period, then you can have Easton change the axle configuration when you send them in for the free hub replacement. Easton replaces the hub and spokes, but uses your existing rim. If the hubs are not covered by warranty, they'll upgrade the hub into whatever configuration you want for $200.

And you've got to call them. The email response time is pretty slow, probably due to everyone looking into hub upgrades.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just found this thread by accident as I was searching for bearings for the third time for my Easton Haven rear hub. I have had continual problems with the bearing tensioner coming loose and then causing play in the wheel I suspected a design flaw or something as the last set of bearings were Silicon Nitride ones that are supposed to be indestructible. I called the number on Easton's website and was greeted by a very friendly lady who took my details and said the bearings and tools will ship in a couple of days. When they arrive I will post again and report. It is very rare in this day and age a manufacturer admits to a design flaw but then go the extra mile and offers free upgrades to cure the problem. Way to go Easton!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Received the Bearings & drift kit only to find that my Axle is a right handed thread also. (thought I was losing my mind trying to put it together as it's one of the last steps in the process) Like you, I put the old righty cone nut on. I'll be bugging Easton to see if the left threaded set up is better, stay tuned. Now at least there is even torque on the bearings unlike the previous design. Hoping the bearings stay tight & last a good bit longer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Talked w/Easton about right handed axel situation. Not much discussion, they're just going to send me a left threaded one. Makes more sense being the wheel spins to the left. Great customer service!!

no trees are safe
    You know I scratched Easton out of my search list for wheels, but reading this makes me wanna buy their Havens again. Good service indeed.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Thanks Jekyll, i had the same question,i will email them

Sent from your phone, which i hacked into

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast