Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Easton Havoc AM...any way to convert rear hub to 10mm thru axle?

I am really wanting to stiffen up the rear end on my bike, and I would love to get a nice thru axle on the hind end of my Heckler. Unfortunately the rear wheel is not as cool/adjustable as the front wheel (which can run QR, 20mm, or 15mm), so I am stuck looking for a better/stiffer quick release, which frankly doesn't really exist.

The DT hubs with 10mm options are sweet, and I was thinking I could pull something similar off. Has anyone drilled or done anything crazy to their rear hubs to fit a 10mm axle? Is this completely insane or even possible?

Just putting thoughts down, as foolish as they may sound.
    El Guapoooooooo

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    After doing some serious searching I found a few posts talking about Easton offering a conversion kit. I have found no info on the website, but I shot them an email to see what they say.

Hopefully they offer the kit, because I really don't feel like drilling things. I will keep everyone updated with the availability of this kit (I think it also comes with new bearings, which is sweet since mine are getting close to being shot).
    El Guapoooooooo

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Easton offers a bolt on 10 mm conversion with a new axle and bearings, I think more than $80. Call them, good luck if you leave a message:

800-347-3901 Wheel Division

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack'sDad
    Easton offers a bolt on 10 mm conversion with a new axle and bearings, I think more than $80. Call them, good luck if you leave a message:

800-347-3901 Wheel Division
    $80! That seams insanely high.
    El Guapoooooooo

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey
    $80! That seams insanely high.
    haha I wish it was $80. Here what they told me when I asked them the price
    Quote Originally Posted by Easton
    Yes, a 10mm bolt on kit will run you about $110, which you can purchase
    from us directly at
    877 835.6689
    Jennifer
    $110!!! that's 25% of the total wheelset price!

ups and downs
    The kit does come with a new bearing set, and a set of bearing drift tools. And it makes a huge difference in swingarm sturdiness.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    The kit does come with a new bearing set, and a set of bearing drift tools. And it makes a huge difference in swingarm sturdiness.
    it doesn't work with old bearings?

ups and downs
    The new axle is huge, it may be that it is stepped differently, I don't recall now. They might have just included new bearings to make sure that you don't have to worry about damaging a bearing while you're driving out the old axle and bearings. I have the bolt on axle conversion on my Havocs and it made a huge difference.

Although it's not a 10mm thru axle, it's a bolt on axle kit that happens to use 10mm bolts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks, rockyuphill, very helpful. However, $110 is so steep, I try asking easton if getting only the axle and bolts is possible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    They do sell a kit for $74 that doesn't include the tool.

To those of you who performed this conversion, did you use the tool or need the tool, or did you just slowly tap them in using a socket or something similar? I am wondering if it is worth it to grab the tool?
    El Guapoooooooo

ups and downs
    Here's a shot of the bearing drifts they include.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just to ask, is it possible to use a dt swiss thru bolt with this set up? Also did anyone try going it without the tools? how difficult did you find it if you did?

Spice
    Dec 2008
    Slightly off topic.... how many engagement points does the havoc hub have?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by socalrider46
    Just to ask, is it possible to use a dt swiss thru bolt with this set up? Also did anyone try going it without the tools? how difficult did you find it if you did?
    Looking at the pics no. The axle is threaded and two bolts attach either end.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

mtbr member
    May 2007

will someone sell, rent or loan these tools to me

Hi Folks,
    I picked up a set of havocs and want to do the bolt on axle thing
    If someone is no longer using these tools and wants to get back some of the cost, i'd be willing to buy, rent or loan them from you
    I can paypal in a hearbeat
    I'm going to order the axle parts soon
    G

mtbr member
    May 2007

just ordered the parts from Easton

I'm downgrading from mavic 729 on rear bolt thru 135m Hadley rear on a blindside
    Hope the hub is still enough and rim is wide enough as the single ply irc kevlar 2.5 trailbears have a tendency for the bead to slip off narrower rims even at high pressure (d521)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hi all,

Yes all of the parts; axle assembly, drifts, and bearings are available separately. We offer them in a kit at a discount because hammering the bearings out of the hub dents the races and will make them feel rough and create drag when the hub is reassembled with the used bearings and new axle.
    Bearing drift tools are necessary l for this hub because the driveside bearing is a press fit into the hubshell and a press fit on to the axle.
    In order to install this bearing and preload the hub properly these press fits must be done simultaneously. This means that both races of the driveside bearing and both races of the non-drive bearing need to be supported all at the same time.

I should mention that the drift kit also includes the tools necessary to press new bearings into the front hub.

Our testing shows that the bolt-on axle kit is roughly 40% stiffer than the quick release version but I am very interested to hear your experiences with this upgrade.

Also the 800 number has been inactive for some time now, our phone number is 877-835-6629.

Cheers.
    Easton Wheel Service

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Easton Wheel service...question: the bearings in my Havoc freehub are shot. Do i have to buy a new freehub or can the bearings be replaced alone? I replaced the other two bearings in the rear hub but the freehub should be done also. Is there a kit for that too?

Thanks (sorry fro jacking this thread)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    pretty sure the freehub bearings can be replaced as well. There is a pictorial guide somewhere on MTBR that I found through a google search.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Awesome..found it...thanks thorhild.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Easton Havoc 135 x 10mm

I am currently running the Havocs as my XC wheelset and running a set of Hopes (135 x 10) with the DT Swiss 10mm RWS, as my AM wheelset.

The only problem is that my Hope wheelset is on 25mm rims that when using a 2.35 or 2.4 front tire seems to squirm around a little. So I was thinking the Havocs with the 28mm wied rims might be better for running the wider tires, but I am not too fond of running the little QR and bombing down some of the trails.

I saw the comversion earlier in the thread to a 10mm bolt on, but is there a 10mm thru axle version as well?

thx

nocturnal oblivion
    Anybody have a link to the service guide that Easton for some reason removed? Here's the link to SBA's blog on the freehub service Gunnar-man found for those looking: http://forums.mtbr.com/blog.php?do=s...&e=2738&enum=2
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    May 2007
    good wheels ,esp when the bolt on is rockin
    but I just flatspotted a rear on a jump case w high pressure (like 60) and didn't even blow the single wall 2.5 tire and thin tube
    may have smashed anything but a mavic 729, but big difference

also have to grab and mar the straight pull spokes with pliers when tensioning sometimes, esp if loose

I'd like to swap the rim out, bmx style, just swapping over the spokes with the rim ziptied next to it
    need to look into how much replacement rims are, unless the easton peeps can answer first

i also pull the kevlar bead of irc trailbears off on this or other "narrow" rimes like d521

nocturnal oblivion
    Anybody know what bearings the 10mm conversion uses? Anybody do the conversion without the drift set? $110 is absurd.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblemumble
    Anybody know what bearings the 10mm conversion uses? Anybody do the conversion without the drift set? $110 is absurd.
    I did it with a couple screwdrivers, a few hammers, and a socket set. No special tools needed.

It was super sketchy but everything is running perfectly.
    El Guapoooooooo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast