mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Easton Haven front wheel, 20mm to 15mm adapter.

Im looking to get a batch of axles made up to convert Easton's 20mm haven front wheel to fit forks with a 15mm axle since Easton don't make the conversion.

I've just received the sample from the manufacture and running it on my wheel. A few changes will be made for the production ones which includes being polished, tighter tolerance's on certain sections, no grove next the threads, will have the holes to adjust the bearing pre-load like the original axle.

Price will be £30 plus postage(from UK, will post around the world)
    Please post here if your interested or email me at fraser AT face-parts.co.uk

Here is a few pics of the sample one;

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Easton Haven Coversion

Yes - definitely interested.
    Do you have any idea on estimated delivery times?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hi,

I think it would be about the end of july.

Cheers, Fraser

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That'd be great - put me down for one please.

I'm assuming it's not rocket science to change these - haven't had the hubs apart on these wheels yet: new for a project that morphed...

Chris W

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    Are you sure?
    This is from a email they sent me when I inquired about it....

Yes, these are now available.

Convert 20mm to 15mm

1 of each of the following

AXLE M1-_12 F 15X110

Preload adjuster and seals are the same

Best,

Ben Clemens | Customer Service / Wheels Lead

EASTON CYCLING

735 Pacesetter Dr. Rantoul, IL 61866

800.456.2355 ext. 6917

mtbr member
    This is a 20mm to 15mm adapter made by Easton.

Easton Haven 15mm Axle Adapter Kit from Bike Bling

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    So - looks like this is an adapter:

?just slides into the 20mm - bit like a shim?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Had a look on the tube:
    Seems this's a straight replacement, but I can't find the axle coded as per Easton's Ben Clemens (12F) listed...

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    This is the part number from Ben ( who is out for the next two weeks btw...)

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    You there Dimitrin?

Can't find the axle by either identifier!

Sorry to keep pestering, but have you manged to get hold of one of these?
    If so where & I'll get one there too!!

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    The link a few post back to BikeBling seems to work. Or you can call Ben at Easton Cycling Customer Service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yes - link fine:
    I suppose I was wndering if you'd already got one & used it to convert a Haven?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Contacted Bikebling - the above link goes to an adapter, which converts 9mm to15mm, they can't say whether it'll convert 20mm:
    Has anyone used this adapter?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpineninja View Post
    Contacted Bikebling - the above link goes to an adapter, which converts 9mm to15mm, they can't say whether it'll convert 20mm:
    Has anyone used this adapter?
    You maybe right that the link is for a 9mm to 15mm conversion because I looked at the Easton website and they only had a 9mm to 15mm conversion and 15mm to 9mm conversion.

However, I spoke with the Easton rep at Sea Otter and asked him about a 20mm to 15mm conversion because I was thinking about doing that. He told me specifically that they have a 20mm to 15mm conversion and that I could find it retailers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yeah, I agree all the evidence suggests it does exist, but I can't find it even with the part number supplied by Ben Clemmens & no answers forthcoming from Easton!
    I might ring them direct...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've got the adapter listed above and it's the right one. I got it direct from Easton for $20.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That's excellent!
    How did you get it, because it's not listed?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I called them directly... I think I called (800) 217 9434. It was either that one or the one noted above and spoke with a very helpful woman who's name escapes me at the moment. She looked it up and confirmed that the part number was correct, then took my order right there and I had it in about 3 days.

I was sweating for 2 weeks waiting on my wheels because the availability of a 15mm adapter drove my decision to go with the 20mm hub specifically so I could switch the wheels between both of my bikes.

I'm giving Easton the benefit of the doubt that it's just a very new part and they haven't had a chance to update their marketing and technical collateral yet. None of the retailers I spoke with are aware of the part's existence either.

Funny thing is that the part looks virtually identical to the one pictured above. Coincidence?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Could you post some pics? Package, code and this things...

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ziurpe View Post
    could you post some pics? Package, code and this things...

Thanks.
    +1!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Date: 1-15-13

I ordered the conversion axle direct from Easton as well by calling their 1-877-835-6629 number. $25.00 shipped. Part number 2033179, as listed above by another poster.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelybar View Post
    Date: 1-15-13

I ordered the conversion axle direct from Easton as well by calling their 1-877-835-6629 number. $25.00 shipped. Part number 2033179, as listed above by another poster.
    Yep - I got it directly off Easton as well, just make sure it's 13F not 12F

Now I need the tool to release the preload nut...any ideas?

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    I use these to adjust mine. It may not be ideal but it works and is what I already had on hand.
    Snap Ring Pliers with Interchangeable Heads

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Correction!!

Oops - going mad: it's the 12F as listed by Ben Clemens you want - just had a look at the packet again:
    Sorry!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

The Park Tool SPA1 or SPA2 pin spanner will work. I believe it's the red one but double check the size. They make an adjustable version as well.

Park Tool Co. » SPA-2 : Pin Spanner: Red : Crank Tools

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

The right tool

Quote Originally Posted by crlavoie View Post
    The Park Tool SPA1 or SPA2 pin spanner will work. I believe it's the red one but double check the size. They make an adjustable version as well.

Park Tool Co. » SPA-2 : Pin Spanner: Red : Crank Tools
    Absolutely spot on:
    SPA2 - Red: much more substantial & better made than the web photos suggest.
    Don't bother with the adjustable one as the slight spring tension holds the tool in place - half the price too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hey guys,
    I ordered the same axle (20mm to 15mm), from my bike shop in Quebec city, Canada. Canadian distributor for Easton is OGC.
    When I got to pick up the axle, bill was at $89,99 + taxes. I was shocked, and left, upset, without the axle.
    You guys are saying you got it for $20? And this is what I understood when I emailed Ben at Easton.
    Can you guys explain anything about this!?
    Nonetheless, I want an axle and email Easton about this.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gregmazo View Post
    Hey guys,
    I ordered the same axle (20mm to 15mm), from my bike shop in Quebec city, Canada. Canadian distributor for Easton is OGC.
    When I got to pick up the axle, bill was at $89,99 + taxes. I was shocked, and left, upset, without the axle.
    You guys are saying you got it for $20? And this is what I understood when I emailed Ben at Easton.
    Can you guys explain anything about this!?
    Nonetheless, I want an axle and email Easton about this.
    I rang Easton US direct.
    $20 + postage to the UK - our customs let it through without import duty.
    Total was under $40 + an international phone call to a very pleasant & helpful lady...I love American customer services!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I called the guys in US and they told me I cannot order from them; I have to deal with the canadian distributor, which is still $105. Damn it.
    Thanks for help on this thread though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi,
    I'm desparately looking for a 15mm conversion kit for my easton haven front wheel. My local dealer as well as the distributer for switzerland keep telling me there is no conversion kit for my hub!
    Can anybody confirm that the conversion kit in post #5 actually works with a 20mm M1-112 front axle?

Thanks in advance for your help!

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    it should work....
    You can ask them if the Havoc conversion kit is the same for the Haven, I suspect so....
    Easton Havoc rueda delantera de kit de conversión :: HIBIKE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Easton Haven front wheel, 20mm to 15mm adapter.-2013-m1-hub-compatibility-r.gif  

Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    At last I have one, purchased in a shop through the Easton Dealer in Spain (Teambike) 28 €.

Easton Haven front wheel, 20mm to 15mm adapter.-img_3112.jpg

Installation PDF

Easton Haven front wheel, 20mm to 15mm adapter.-install-1.jpg

Easton Haven front wheel, 20mm to 15mm adapter.-install-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Hey guys/girls hope this is not terribly off topic...... Im new to the forum but saw the talk about the easton havens and was hoping I could get some insight from some of you seasoned riders. I am in the process of building up a new 29er frame and are really considering the eastons but as I am sure most of you know there have been ATLEAST a few issues with the rear hub, so I wanted to get some other impression about what other people had to say and there experiences good/bad with these wheels.
    By the way I am also considering the american classic all mountain 29 as well so if any one has experience with these as well that would be great. Again i am sorry if this is off topic...

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by wolverine.NC View Post
    I wanted to get some other impression about what other people had to say and there experiences good/bad with these wheels.
    I have been using a set of 2011 Havens for over a year. They did do a rear hub update at one point. Make sure you get the one with the preload adjuster reverse-threaded if i'm not mistaken. IIRC the 1st gen would automatically loosen themselves as you rode.
    I have had zero issues with mine. I had to tighten the preload after the first few rides, but ever since then they've been absolutely great.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    what other people had to say and there experiences good/bad with these wheels.
    I can answer that. First I'll say that I bought my set of 29er havens 'cause I wanted an AM wheelset from a well known manufacturer. My experience would suggest that they are not a true AM wheel. They are flexy and take a dent from roots and rocks a little too easily. I have also had to get a bearing upgrade kit 'cause the stock bearings apparently sucked. Why would anything on a wheel of that price suck? I am only happy with the way they look.

FM
    mtbr member
    considering the eastons but as I am sure most of you know there have been ATLEAST a few issues with the rear hub, so I wanted to get some other impression about what other people had to say and there experiences good/bad with these wheels.
    well, for contrast mine have been awesome. I bought my haven carbon 29's used in august '12, at this point they've seen at least three seasons of use. They've seen several whistler trips up the the sea-to-sky corridor (north vancouver to whistler) and lots of local all-mountain riding, black diamond trails any chance I get. They are still more true and stiffer than any set of aluminum wheels I've owned.

I have replaced the bearings and axles, price for all that has been very low (Easton's provided a lot free of charge). Only complaint is that if you try to order small parts through a non-wheels easton person, you will get the wrong parts.

Also, I do use a digital tire pressure gauge. I suspect many that are having issues aren't watching their tire pressure closely enough. FWIW I cracked a flow prior to buying the haven carbons.

Dirty minded
    Nov 2008
    It's been a love hate relationship. I have been riding on 2011 carbon Havens for just over two years now. I came off of 26” I9s, so the bar was set pretty high. I must admit that my riding buddies tell me that I beat the crap out of them. I weigh 175lb, ride rocky terrain about 45 mi. per week. I too wanted an all mountain set of wheels, and Easton seems to have a good reputation. The local rep made sure I got a set with the 121 rear hub that had reverse threaded tensioning nut. That dad gum nut required constant attention, every few rides I had to check and/or tighten it. The rear wheel was also popping spokes about every 4 months until I used my park tensiometer to go around and round the wheel and ensure that the spokes on either side were equal with others on that side. I basically measured all spoke tension on one side, determined the most common tension among them, then made them all equal that tension on that side. I was very careful to use my trueing stand to keep the wheel round and true. It really didn't have extreme variation, but after I did it I stopped breaking spokes. I guess if you only have 24 skinny little spokes they better be dead nuts on the money tension wise. I found out that a upgrade kit was available for the rear hub and requested it from Easton. Upon installing it I noticed that the tension nuts used an o-ring to create friction upon the axle which was apparently supposed to keep it from loosening. The original o-ring was much looser fitting than the the new nut and o-ring. I also made a point to ensure that there was not any grease on the axle where the o-ring touches it. The new tighter o-ring does not require very much attention and seems to hold properly. My I9s use a tiny set screw to secure the tensioning nut, which seems to be a better solution to using an o-ring, though it does seem to hold now. Lastly, about 1 month before the 2 year replacement warranty came to an end I manged to develop a slight crack in the rear hoop at the bead seat. The rim still held air but it was cracked. They sent a new one, but it did take a month from when I sent it in to when I received the replacement.

All that being said they are very fast, quiet and light, and seem plenty stiff for my 175lb arse, I still charge hard on them and like em. If you are a hard rider, weigh more than 180lb, and don't mind a fairly loud hub, I would probably recommend a set of I9s.

Easton has a new hub design for this wheelset that should be available at some point in 2014. It appears to be much more robust with much better engagement. If I were considering this wheelset I would be sure to wait for a set with the new hub.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Easton Haven front wheel, 20mm to 15mm adapter.

Well i got my conversion done. My buddy at the bike shop tried the spanner tool (red handle) and it didn't fit, so i used my snap ring pliers and a pair of channel locks. I put a rag around the hub insert to protect it from the channel locks, but it still got a little scratched. FYI. The rep. told the bike shop that the M121 hub is changeable, but another type is not. So, bottom line is , it works.

Members who have read this thread: 5