mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Easton Haven Disc wheelset

does anybody have any direct experience or informed opinion about the Easton Haven Disc wheelset as a potential upgrade to 2011 Spec Stumpy FSR Elite? the stock wheelset is out of true far too much for my weight (200lbs+) and aggressive trail riding. as an aside, i ride tubes, not tubeless for what it's worth. also, is there a big difference (need?) to upgrade from quick release to thru-axle? what's involved to make that change if it's best?

mtbr member
    With the Easton Haven Disc wheelset, you'd be reducing your spoke count rather than increasing it. You end up with a heavier, stronger rim to counteract the reduced support from the fewer more widely spaced 24 spokes, which increases the inertia of the wheel set (ease in accelerating/decelerating).

You would do better to be looking at 32h front/rear spoked wheels. At your riding weight and style, you would be better served looking at 28 mm external/23 mm internal width rims to provide better support to your tires (as examples: DT Swiss EX 500, ZTR Flow, WTB Frequency i23). I would use tires with widths ranging from 2.2" to 2.4", anything narrower will require higher air pressures and therefore reduce traction, while making sure the tire widths will fit your fork and rear triangle clearances.

I closely match your weight and riding style, and find QR hubs are fine for me. A 15TA or 20TA front hub will require you to get a different fork that can accept one or the other TA diameters, you would have to choose. For your QR fork, your alternatives would be a 9mm Through Bolt, or 9TA such at the DT Swiss RWS system, for possibly some increased stiffness. A 20TA front hub and fork is probably overkill for a Stumpjumper.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    excellent feedback. to be honest, the research on wheelsets is proving overwhelming with nothing really coming across as great to me in terms of durability + reliability + reasonable weight + quick engagement + value for money. one or more of the criteria seems to be unmet in a big way with almost any wheelset i try to do research on. by the way, i haven't been able to find any reviews on the wheelsets you're mentioning, but appreciate it nonetheless and will keep an eye out for them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

great response

Quote Originally Posted by 4slomo View Post
    With the Easton Haven Disc wheelset, you'd be reducing your spoke count rather than increasing it. You end up with a heavier, stronger rim to counteract the reduced support from the fewer more widely spaced 24 spokes, which increases the inertia of the wheel set (ease in accelerating/decelerating).

You would do better to be looking at 32h front/rear spoked wheels. At your riding weight and style, you would be better served looking at 28 mm external/23 mm internal width rims to provide better support to your tires (as examples: DT Swiss EX 500, ZTR Flow, WTB Frequency i23). I would use tires with widths ranging from 2.2" to 2.4", anything narrower will require higher air pressures and therefore reduce traction, while making sure the tire widths will fit your fork and rear triangle clearances.

I closely match your weight and riding style, and find QR hubs are fine for me. A 15TA or 20TA front hub will require you to get a different fork that can accept one or the other TA diameters, you would have to choose. For your QR fork, your alternatives would be a 9mm Through Bolt, or 9TA such at the DT Swiss RWS system, for possibly some increased stiffness. A 20TA front hub and fork is probably overkill for a Stumpjumper.
    Excellent written response with logical constructive suggestions - you are right on concerning spoke count, etc for this persons riding style and weight. To bad the bike mags are clouded by ad revenue and cannot offer this kind of advise. Thanks for your contribution.