Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Commit or eat sh!t

Easton Haven Carbon Wheelset 1450g 21mm Tubeless

This looks interesting. 300g less than Mavic Crossmax SX, which seems like the closest comparable. 2-year warranty. Now I finally see the price. $2300. No thanks.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/features/Int...on-Wheelset,78
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Easton Haven Carbon Wheelset 1450g 21mm Tubeless-full95952910_1270167816.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Those look and sound very sweet, but OUCH! $2300 will buy some nice wheelsets, and some nice back-ups, and back-ups to the back-ups.

11 is one louder than 10
    Sick looking wheels, illness inducing price.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Damn I love my Haven's but $2300 for carbon?? You can damn near get carbon motorcycle wheels for that much!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If I had $800 laying around I would buy the regular Havens in a heartbeat. They weigh under 1700 grams, hard to justify another $1500 to save 250 grams.

mtbr member
    i like. same price as the edge composites.

mtbr member
    As the saying goes, you have to pay to play. Wheels in this class are expenive compared to traditional alu MTB wheels, but are still cheaper than high end road wheels.

I can't wait until the price of carbon wheels comes down.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Wow! Those wheels cost nearly double what I paid for my frame. Got a deal on the frame but Wow! I've got the regular Havens, guess I'll have to live with the gold.Those are nice though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I wouldn't say they were cheaper than road wheels. Not
    long ago I got a new set of Zipp 404s for $1500.

Best, John

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    What worries me about these is they look to be a fantastic rim, ust out of box and sound strong but why only 36 engagements in the hub?
    I'd love to use my king hubs on these rims.
    Don't want to use edge rims as they aren't ust out of box.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingboy
    What worries me about these is they look to be a fantastic rim, ust out of box and sound strong but why only 36 engagements in the hub?
    I'd love to use my king hubs on these rims.
    Don't want to use edge rims as they aren't ust out of box.
    I dunno why the engagement. Personally I think POE is overated and would not determine what kind of wheels I was buying, YMMV tho.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Yody
    I dunno why the engagement. Personally I think POE is overated and would not determine what kind of wheels I was buying, YMMV tho.
    I agree. And 10 degrees is on the "fast" side in any case.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    I think it might be because when I swap back and forth between my kings and crossmaxes (48pt) I ocassionally notice the larger increments, especially on technical climbs.
    might turn into a non issue though - we'll see.
    Can these rims be rebuilt on king hubs or do they rely on a special spoke/hub interface due to rim mounting end?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I think it might be because when I swap back and forth between my kings and crossmaxes (48pt) I ocassionally notice the larger increments, especially on technical climbs.
    might turn into a non issue though - we'll see.
    Can these rims be rebuilt on king hubs or do they rely on a special spoke/hub interface due to rim mounting end?
    They are 24 spoke wheels and use standard type production spokes.

Good luck sourcing the rims and nipples separately.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    bumping this old thread cuz I fondled a pair of carbon haven's at my LBS last night. pretty slick, and weighed 1450g on the nose. I'll throw a pair of the alu havens on the scale if they have a set in stock when I go back, pretty sure I saw somewhere on the internetz a real world weight over 1700g on those. you'd have to be completely price-insensitive to pay retail for the carbons, but they look sick.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Been running mine for a couple of weeks now and they are a massive improvement over my crossmax sxs, much lighter, bike accelerates and changes direction much quicker/easier and they are so stiff there is just no flex in them at all. Im hammering them on 6-8ft drops and doing my best to break them but no joy so far.
    Also Tyres mounted really easily and zero psi lost sitting all week since being used last weekend.
    Very very impressed so far.....
    Will get some pics tomorrow......

flow where ever you go
    I'm only interested if front and rear hubs can convert to different sizes, like Hope and King do easily. Too much money if not flexible between bikes. I find conflicting information on this and can't find confirmation either way. I emailed Easton and got no response. Anyone?

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

mtbr member
    Front hub is either 20mm only, or a 15ta that can convert to a 9mmqr. Rear is 9mmqr that can convert to 12mmta

flow where ever you go
    Front hub is either 20mm only, or a 15ta that can convert to a 9mmqr. Rear is 9mmqr that can convert to 12mmta
    Thanks, better than nothing, but not flexible enough for me.

"I must not be crazy because I'm seriously questioning my sanity"

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    The rear on my 12x135 can be converted to 12x142 but that's it.
    Easton have optimised hub size and bearings for specific axles and uses. I guess this is what happens when you push for every last saving you loose some flexibility.

mtbr member
    I also emailed easton about getting Rim and Nipple to build up w/ king hubs. That was a month ago, still no response.

You would think a company like that would want those rims out everywhere, not just on their idea of the best hub rim combo.

Quote Originally Posted by noshortcuts
    I'm only interested if front and rear hubs can convert to different sizes, like Hope and King do easily. Too much money if not flexible between bikes. I find conflicting information on this and can't find confirmation either way. I emailed Easton and got no response. Anyone?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Been running mine for a couple of weeks now and they are a massive improvement over my crossmax sxs, much lighter, bike accelerates and changes direction much quicker/easier and they are so stiff there is just no flex in them at all. Im hammering them on 6-8ft drops and doing my best to break them but no joy so far.
    Also Tyres mounted really easily and zero psi lost sitting all week since being used last weekend.
    Very very impressed so far.....
    Will get some pics tomorrow......

Waiting to drool all over these pics...how are they doing for you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm not a big ebay person but wanted to see what you guys think of this listing. He has a good rating...when I have purchased in the past it was always through "top-rated sellers" so I've had good experiences.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Easton-CARBO...item2a0c719195

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by phidailo
    I'm not a big ebay person but wanted to see what you guys think of this listing. He has a good rating...when I have purchased in the past it was always through "top-rated sellers" so I've had good experiences.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Easton-CARBO...item2a0c719195
    Looks legit, his feedback is good, sold a lot of Easton wheels.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Looks legit, his feedback is good, sold a lot of Easton wheels.
    This is not an authorized Easton retailer, so no factory warranty. Check with easton before you buy and they will confirm this. Seems like a great deal, but not if they break within two years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast