Ow!

Easton Haven Carbon 26" Wheels flex

Just wondering if anyone has noticed substantial drive side flex in the rear wheel. I purchased a set a few months ago, replacing a set of CB Iodines on my Blur LTc. Other than weight, I really didn't notice much difference from the Iodines, except I could feel more flex. Ignored it and rode on. I had a Geax Sturdy TNT on at the time. I recently installed a Hans Dampf on the rear, which is much wider. Started getting rub (or much more rub) on the chainstays. Checking it out, I could push the rim (not tire) by hand so that the tire hit the stay. Put the Iodines back on with the HDs, and not near the flex.

I think I read in the 29er forum that someone else noticed this, but I am assuming that 29er wheels would likely flex more than 26er wheels. Anyone else?

Oh, I weigh 250lbs, which I am certain makes a difference. Thanks.

transmitter~receiver
    stay rub can be caused my stiffer wheels.
    you might try a wheelset with more spokes.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I can;t speak for the easton, but I have a set of Enve Dh rims on my downhill bike and they are way way stiffer then my previous Dt 600 and 500 rims. So much so, it causes you to feel flex in other components. I have heard some of the easton wheels had a problem with the bearing housing getting sloppy which could be the cause.

transmitter~receiver

Quote Originally Posted by The Beater View Post
    I can;t speak for the easton, but I have a set of Enve Dh rims on my downhill bike and they are way way stiffer then my previous Dt 600 and 500 rims. So much so, it causes you to feel flex in other components.
    lol
    What other components can you feel flex in and how do you distinguish the flex you feel between components?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have Easton Haven Carbons and if they are new wheels they should be some of the stiffest lateral flex wheels you have ever had, and this is common with most high end carbon mtb rims.
    If they are not, as you say, I would have the spoke tension checked and the hub play checked. Easton has a new hub upgrade, which went into effect earlier this year and may or may not be on your hubs. That said, even the earlier revision design didn't have a lot of play to allow that much flex. Call Easton if any of these issues seem apparent. Their customer service is pretty good.
    What The Beater is referring to, and I agree with, is as an experienced rider you can feel the flex of different components on a bike, have it be the wheels, cranks, bars, stem or frame itself. What the wheels may be doing is exploiting a flaw within your current setup that wasn't noticed before because of the previous wheel flex. The wheel absorbed more force that wasn't transmitted in other components, in your case perhaps the rear swing arm.

Ow!
    Thanks speedsterR. Stiff is what I expected. I also have a set of Reynolds AM wheels on another bike, and noticed the increase in stiffness immediately. I had the Havens on my Blur LTc, which is the stiffest frame I have ever ridden, though there is always some flex. I checked it again. I do not think it is the hub--seems tight (I also have the old rear hub, so no upgrade). Spoke tensions are very even (impressive actually), though I do not know what the tensions should be. I am going to call Easton for advice, including spoke tension.

It just could be that I weigh too much for this wheel-flexwise. At 250lbs+ for most of my adult life, I flex frames and wheels that those less than 200lbs seem to not feel. But I will see what Easton says.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Iv noticed big amounts of flex with my 26" carbons havens too.the front wheel has just came back from the easton service centre after I buckled the rim,it was replaced under warrant which is great but the wheel still flexes loads.
    Have you heard anymore from Easton?its a bit of a mate to contact them from the uk.
    I weight 215 lbs so a bit lighter than yourself

Ow!
    I spoke to Easton. They seemed perplexed, and not very helpful. I am certain they would look at them for me if I sent them in, but I have my doubts for any improvement. I am just assuming that I am used to very stiff wheels. Put them on my 456 carbon, which are working out well. I am going to switch them back to the LTc this weekend, but, of course, with a different tire than the HD. They are probably the toughest wheels I have, so I will try them again on a bike I beat on more. I am not that impressed with the HD on the back anyways. I do not feel any flex with the front, though. I wouldn't get rub on it (Marz 55), but it seems to track well.

nimble biker
    was there any crack on the wheel?

mtbr member

Re: Easton Haven Carbon 26" Wheels flex

I got rid of mine for this reason, they were light but not the stiffest wheel I have had. Ran them on a Mojo HD

Singletrack Addict!!!
    So what happened?
    The world needs a huge socio-economic change...be it. We all need to ride more....

mtbpete
    Unless these wheels were built incorrectly with very low spoke tension they should be pretty stiff. Often when a tire is hitting the chain stay while riding it is caused by frame flex. Another culprit is the skewer. I've seen many external cam skewers that slip in the drop outs. Internal cam skewers such as Shimano's are much better. Another possibility is that there is play in the hub, but I don't think that hub has any adjustment.

Ow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Relayden View Post
    So what happened?
    No certain if this question is for me, but here ya go.

I have them on my Blur LTc right now, using a Geax Sturdy tire. I can still feel the flex in the rough, and sometimes the not-so-rough. My prime biking season is just now starting, so I think I will change wheels soon to either CB Iodines (which was on there before--pretty stiff) or my own hand-built King 819 or 823. It certainly was nice to have a very light wheelset (noticeable on the trail), but that flex is too much.

Just to give you an idea on how much I feel flex--I took the Marz 55 160mm off the Blur LTc (need to do maintenance) and installed a Marz 44 150mm. Rode it yesterday on a fairly easy trail with some rocks (lower 50 year near Tucson). Pretty good, but I could feel some flex from the forks. Marz 44s are the stiffest 32mm forks I have ever used.

The Havens are likely going back on the On-one 456 carbon HT, which is pretty stiff frame, but not nearly as stiff as the Blur LTc. Or sell them.

Ow!
    Another update if anyone is interested. The rear hub started having a lot of play that adjustment didn't take out. It was the older version, so sent it back to Easton under warranty. They replaced the hub with the new version. I put it back on the LTc, and it seems to have less flex, so, when I was posting before, either the hub had play that I couldn't detect when adjusting or maybe spoke tension is better after the rebuild. It still flexes more than the wheels I have built, but not as much as before. I will keep them on the LTc, just because the weight is so noticeable.

If I knew how much they flex, I probably would not have bought them. But, got them, so will use them.

transmitter~receiver

Flexiness is everything for sure.
    Fork is stiff but then could feel fork flex, spoke tension is impressively even, but increased tension could be it, or the hub had play that you couldn't detect, even though you can somehow distinguish all the various flexiness factors in the different components of your bike.
    Cool story, bro.