mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Easton ec90 xc hub options?

Hi everyone,

I have a set of easton ec90 xc wheels. The rear hub simply cant take it, and it failed quickly. These hub failures have already been talked about alot. Easton will give me a replacement, but that will fail too.

I was wondering if anyone knows of another manufacturer who makes a compatable straight pull spoke hub that my lbs might be able to lace to these rims.

These are awesome wheels, and i would really like to find a way to keep using them, but at this point i'll always be worried the rear hub could blow up at any time.

Thanks

COTA member
    What exactly is failing? The cartridge bearing? Easton Part number 6803. I am just wondering if one stays on top of keeping the pre-load tight and replaces the bearing each season will that be enough to preserve these hubs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, i keep the preload adjusters tightened exactly how there supposed to be. I check them before every ride. They are only 4 mos old and the bearings are fine. Right now you can spin the cranks and the hub doesnt engage at all. Broken spring or pawl or something. Easton rep will be at the lbs this week and see what it is. If something just broke wouldnt be that big of a deal - maybe. Problem is these hubs creaked and popped for most of the time ive had them. I just dont think they can hold up under heavy stress. Front rim and hub are perfect. I'm staying with the front for sure.

ups and downs
    If these are the 24 spoke Eastons, the ideal hubs would be from XTR WH-M975 wheels. Also straight pull and reliable (with the correct grease on the pawls). If you find someone who trashed a set of the very expensive XTR scandium rims and didn't want to replace them, you could buy the wheelset for hubs.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thank you. I'll check it out.

aka 'Grover'
    The EC90XC freehub body can be removed without tools with the cassette still on. Take the wheel out of the bike, hold the back of the cassette and pull it off the axle.

You'll probably find a some grit/moisture has got in there and one or more of the pawls are sticking. If you ride the hub like this for a while it'll put extra stress on the spring and distort or break it. This will stop the hub engaging.

The Easton rep will probably just pull the freehub body off, clean it out and install a new spring. I suggest once fixed you just increase your maintenance schedule on the freehub body which takes all of five minutes.

Easton could improve the sealing of the engagement mechanism, but this would result in increased drag and slower wheels. It's a trade off and I'm personally to spend the five minutes every so often for such a high performance wheelset.