dusty paw tracks

Good job! Early season report: Geax Barro Mountain

I'm running some new tires this season and pretty fired up on em. Barro Mountain 2.3 up front, 2.1 in back - tubed version. Very light tire and big volume, plus a nice round profile that I love.

In the high desert of Bend the tire rips! Very grabby and great climbing tire. Cornering is superb. It's very supple 120tpi casing, very soft feel and sticky but I'm worried about pinch flats. So far no worries though. Loves to eat up rocks and doing great on forest littered trails.

We have super tacky conditions right now but there are a few sandy spots and I gotta say this tire pulls nicely in the loose. The widely spaced knobs are helping there. Had some time on a log ride and it was great on wood too.

Wicked tire! Already showing some wear from my road commute (about 2 miles) to the trails, so it won't be the longest lasting tread. But I'm looking forward to taking it to Oakridge and Umpqua in a few weeks. I'm a big fan of this type of tire - light and large volume. I'll put up with the flats if I get em, I'm not racing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slimTreeshadow
    I'm running some new tires this season and pretty fired up on em. Barro Mountain 2.3 up front, 2.1 in back - tubed version. Very light tire and big volume, plus a nice round profile that I love.

In the high desert of Bend the tire rips! Very grabby and great climbing tire. Cornering is superb. It's very supple 120tpi casing, very soft feel and sticky but I'm worried about pinch flats. So far no worries though. Loves to eat up rocks and doing great on forest littered trails.

We have super tacky conditions right now but there are a few sandy spots and I gotta say this tire pulls nicely in the loose. The widely spaced knobs are helping there. Had some time on a log ride and it was great on wood too.

Wicked tire! Already showing some wear from my road commute (about 2 miles) to the trails, so it won't be the longest lasting tread. But I'm looking forward to taking it to Oakridge and Umpqua in a few weeks. I'm a big fan of this type of tire - light and large volume. I'll put up with the flats if I get em, I'm not racing.
    Have you used this tire on any hardpack or loose over hardpack trails? How does it corner on that type of terrain? How about on rocks? Any problems with the sidewalls?

I'm trying to decide between the TNT Barro Mountain and the WTB Weirwolf to put on a second wheelset that I have for some somewhat abusive downhill trails. I've been riding on the Weirwolf for quite a while now and really like them. But this Geax tire looks awesome and I ride tubeless, so the TNT should hopefully be easier to air up than a standard 2.3 Weirwolf which may or may not air up with sealant.

Keep me posted as I would love to hear more about the types of terrain you are riding and the overall performance of the Geax.

dusty paw tracks
    I'm riding mostly loose and hardpack, some sand. The tires are kicking bootie. Rocks too have confidence inspiring traction and control. I couldn't be happier.

This summer I'll be riding more loose-over-hardpack on forest litter type of trails, pine duff, etc, and I'll find out about that.... I have a feeling it will perform well. Very sticky rubber.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I love these tires- used them in the Midwest and in Colorado. They do everything very well and roll pretty fast. I really like the Geax tires and am trying more of them.

mtbr member
    Cool, I think I might give them a try if I can find them reasonably priced somewhere.

mtbr member
    What is the recommended psi for these?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not sure- probably in the 30-55 range. I run tubeless at around 30 and I'm 185 plus gear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer
    Not sure- probably in the 30-55 range. I run tubeless at around 30 and I'm 185 plus gear.
    30 psi seems to be the magic number for me as well on my current tires.

Any suggestions on where to buy these? I've searched most of my usual sources (Jenson USA, Pricepoint, Cambria...) but none seem to carry this model. Universal Cycles lists them online, but they show a picture of the Lobo Loco next to the description . I'm going to call them tomorrow.

dusty paw tracks
    I like them between 30-35psi, seems to work perfect. Definitely lower pressure if you can get away w/ it because it spreads out the profile of the tire better. It's a pretty round profile w/ a peaky center... so when it's weighted at these pressures it grabs the trail great.

One thing is they're wearing pretty quickly... but they're so sticky and supple I'm not surprised. I've actually started driving the 2 miles to the trail because I want to avoid the pavement. One ride I do requires about 3/4 mile on asphalt, for that I'm just sucking up the extra wear. No biggee but whatever.

Buy them at www.WebCyclery.com - they can order you what you need.

Toby Wong?
    heh....i bought my Barro Marathon from Webcyclery early last year in the 2.3 sticky UST and liked it alot (Geax Barro Marathon 2.3 UST - review. For a while I was the only person Kevin knew who ran them.

I'm running the nobby nics now and like them too
    lets not make it a religion, it is recreation

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if the Barro Marathon is the same as the Barro Mountain?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taz8
    Does anyone know if the Barro Marathon is the same as the Barro Mountain?
    Nevermind. Found out that they are exactly the same tire.

dusty paw tracks
    tried them at 40psi today over hardpack conditions w/ loose layers. Basically sandy on firm. they felt pretty squirrely, but slid predictably and didn't scare me too bad. lower pressure is much better w/ this tire. the side knobs aren't that big so cornering is a bit different, different technique required.

i just wanted to add - this is one of the quietest tires i've ever ridden on pavement.