Thread: E*thirteen TRS?

Just a flesh wound

E*thirteen TRS?

That is one choice. The other is Vittoria Morsa. Needless to say, the Maxxis Minion DH F and R are in the mix as well. I run LB 38mm external, 31.6mm internal. The TRS is designed for wide rims. The Vittoria Morsa is getting great press. The TNT version looks good. All tires are under 900 grams. E*thirteen is new to the game.

My wide rims have produced 3 sidewall flats running tubeless. Need something with more beef in the sidewalls.

Thanks!
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

Chris Bling
    I ordered up a set yesterday to try out. They look promising for sure.
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Just mounted up a TRS race front, first ride will be this afternoon. Nice profile on 30mm id rim and volume is there, very close in size to 2.5 DHF and Magic Mary. Weight came in at 885 grams, a bit lighter than the Magic Mary, DHF, and SE5 I've ran. Looking forward to this one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails E*thirteen TRS?-img_1954.jpg  

E*thirteen TRS?-img_1958.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks like a Michelin Rock'r and a Maxxis High Roller had a baby. It should be called the Rock'r-N-Roller.

mtbr member
    Ha.... would be a great name for a tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    The other is Vittoria Morsa... The Vittoria Morsa is getting great press. The TNT version looks good.
    Where at? I haven't seen much of anything RE: the Morsa, other than pre-release stuff about the Graphene (sp?) and one negative mention in a PB Jamis review.

Just a flesh wound
    I was referring to just the early stuff at Sea Otter, the self written Vittoria official release and the reviews from the team members. Popular Science also found the use of Graphene to be groundbreaking. So, interesting press and well presented descriptions. People who rode the Evil, shod with the Morsa liked the tires as well. Nothing negative yet. But I would love to hear about them first hand. I spoke with a friend who has the TRS Race on the front and he loves it. He felt it to be a bit sluggish on the rear. Maybe the Plus on the rear would be a better solution?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Mounted the e*thirteen trs race in front and the trs+ in the rear.

Gonna put them to the test for the first trail ride later. Will report my findings

E*thirteen TRS?-img_20160618_133909.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by greddyvox View Post
    Mounted the e*thirteen trs race in front and the trs+ in the rear.

Gonna put them to the test for the first trail ride later. Will report my findings

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160618_133909.jpg 
Views:	387 
Size:	412.5 KB 
ID:	1077305
    So I had my first ride with these. 23 psi in front, 25 in the rear.

First off. I felt the weight of these coming from a Hans dampf 2.35 front paired with a hans dampf 2.25 rear. Bike weighed about 150gm more in total with the tire swap.

Rode two laps of my usual loop, total of 12.7km which is around 7.9 miles. Muddy, wet in most parts. Some rocky switchbacks and series of small rocky drops are the toughest parts of the trail.

Climbing was noticeably tougher, possibly due to more rolling resistance as well as more rolling weight.

Downhills I felt I was definitely carrying more speed without pedalling more. Landings were better absorbed, I felt. More confidence landing drops into rock beds. No slippage at all on damp rocks, felt as though the tires didn't bounce off the rocks as much, though I was running same pressures as my previous Hans dampf.

Can't say much about durability yet. But the side walls feel more robust than the Hans dampf, and the knobs don't look like they will tear off or crumble like Schwalbe tires are known to do.

Overall, I would say these are truly enduro specific tires. You won't beat the XC boys on the long grinding climbs, but you could be getting PRs on your gravity segments. As for me, I was clocking similar times as I was on my previous tires. But the experience was different. Slower going up, faster going down.

mtbr member
    How heavy are these and are they single ply or dual ply?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissam View Post
    How heavy are these and are they single ply or dual ply?
    I forgot to weigh before mounting. But reviews indicate actual weight 920g for the race version. Supposed to be 880g for the rear trs+ version.

Single ply with reinforced sidewalls

Just a flesh wound
    Thanks for the review greddyvox. I ended up going with the Vittoria Morsa tires. I haven't mounted them up yet, but I will report back on them soon. They will be replacing my 3'rd set of Pacenti Neo Moto 2.3's. I have used them for years for two reasons, one, they used to be the only 650b tire, and two, they are good. Should be an interesting change.

I'm not as convinced that weight is as important as rolling resistance and grip, so hopefully these tires, which are heavier, won't kill me uphill.

mtbr member
    There was a thread on the Morsa on here a bit back. One of my friends tried them and liked them till it got wet. I rode with him last week and he's on a DHF/ Tomahawk combo DD combo now.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

Just a flesh wound
    I have one trail ride on the Morsas, 12.5 miles, and one day of lift served at Highland in New Hampshire. Very impressed so far. Going out tonight for a 20 mile night ride. I'll post up with more comments as I get to know them better. First impressions are that they roll really fast. The handle great. Haven't tried them in the wet yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Add the Onza Citius and Ibex into the mix in EDC casing. It's a single ply with lots of extra rubber around the bead and sidewall and weighs about 950gm. I used one on the rear with success where as I cannot make Maxxis exo tyres last, 2.4 is as big if not bigger than a 2.5 minion.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greddyvox View Post
    So I had my first ride with these. 23 psi in front, 25 in the rear.

First off. I felt the weight of these coming from a Hans dampf 2.35 front paired with a hans dampf 2.25 rear. Bike weighed about 150gm more in total with the tire swap.

Rode two laps of my usual loop, total of 12.7km which is around 7.9 miles. Muddy, wet in most parts. Some rocky switchbacks and series of small rocky drops are the toughest parts of the trail.

Climbing was noticeably tougher, possibly due to more rolling resistance as well as more rolling weight.

Downhills I felt I was definitely carrying more speed without pedalling more. Landings were better absorbed, I felt. More confidence landing drops into rock beds. No slippage at all on damp rocks, felt as though the tires didn't bounce off the rocks as much, though I was running same pressures as my previous Hans dampf.

Can't say much about durability yet. But the side walls feel more robust than the Hans dampf, and the knobs don't look like they will tear off or crumble like Schwalbe tires are known to do.

Overall, I would say these are truly enduro specific tires. You won't beat the XC boys on the long grinding climbs, but you could be getting PRs on your gravity segments. As for me, I was clocking similar times as I was on my previous tires. But the experience was different. Slower going up, faster going down.
    I wanted to slap these on my derbys after I go through the WT dhf/hr2 I got on. How are they feeling now that time has passed?

Do you have any pictures of how they look on wide rims like yours?
    Current Bikes

2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    They are a bit more square than say a Hans dampf

E*thirteen TRS?-screenshot_20160726-151001.jpg

As mentioned earlier they do roll slower and are a bit harder to get up to speed from a standstill, like when attempting a technical climb, because they are slightly over 900g

But they are absolutely grippy in the wet rocks and roots. I clocked a personal best on my usual trail loop. So they aren't holding me back in any way. Probably made time on the downhill bits cos confidence is way up
    Last edited by greddyvox; 07-26-2016 at 12:11 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Any more opinions on this one?

How's the race compounds holding up at the front? 40a and 42a for the surface compounds seems really soft, so was considering the plus.

Also how does the grip and mud clearance compare to a shorty or a Der Baron project in the wet/mud?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CS645 View Post
    Any more opinions on this one?

How's the race compounds holding up at the front? 40a and 42a for the surface compounds seems really soft, so was considering the s.

Also how does the grip and mud clearance compare to a shorty or a Der Baron project in the wet/mud?
    I've been using a pair of E 13's for a little over a month(Race front/Plus rear) As it's been said earlier, great grip, cornering. The sidewalls seem very stout. I'm 230 geared up and ride like an idiot, and so far the E 13's seem very durable.

At times they can feel draggy on uphills, especially in the fall leaves. For comparison, I'm coming off of a pair of Hans Dampf 2.35's. I like the HD's. But the E13's are a more confident ride.
    They SEEM to shed mud well, but I've never owned Shorties or Der Baron's so I can't provide a direct comparison.

I have a new Nobby Nick 2.35 pacestar and a new Purgatory Grid and I MIGHT, start experimenting with them as rears, but I'm in no hurry.

Overall, I'm very happy with the E13's.
    Last edited by Smokee300; 11-18-2016 at 08:01 AM.

Bodhisattva
    Several weeks on 29er Race front/Plus rear combo. Caveat: I like big meaty tires.

My thoughts generally align with Smokee300's above. Amazing grip, both center and laterally. Not the fastest on flats, but that's not why I bought them and I suffer the flats for the descents. I don't notice drag going up, since our trails tend to be loose, technical & sustained and I value climbing traction over rolling resistance.

No discernible wear on the front race - I wouldn't want to use that compound on the rear for local conditions, which are dry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

JB
    These tires are head and shoulders above HD. They ride very similar to how they look, amazing grip, not real fast rolling. Definitely a more trail-enduro tire. If you're looking for XC, look elsewhere. They don't give up any grip to a DHF, and are a touch wider to boot. Rolling resistance is similar. For what they're selling for, I think they're a bargin.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada 29er View Post
    These tires are head and shoulders above HD. They ride very similar to how they look, amazing grip, not real fast rolling. Definitely a more trail-enduro tire. If you're looking for XC, look elsewhere. They don't give up any grip to a DHF, and are a touch wider to boot. Rolling resistance is similar. For what they're selling for, I think they're a bargin.
    All good points. The pricing is certainly a plus

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Running a TRS+/Morsa combo now in AZ. My front DHR2 WT 3C side knobs stared chunking. Great combo except the weight. Both tires are big volume. Not Goma or TK big, but still pretty poofy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
    Running a TRS+/Morsa combo now in AZ. My front DHR2 WT 3C side knobs stared chunking. Great combo except the weight. Both tires are big volume. Not Goma or TK big, but still pretty poofy.

How do you like the TRS+ in the front?

change is good
    Sep 2004
    I like it. I think it corners more like a DHF 2.5 if not better. The casing is more compliant than the DHF but it doesn't seem squirmy. Like the 2.5 DHF, it's a lot of tire. I feel the Race compound may not hold up on the abrasive western trails. The 29er version weighed 989gm. I'm still happy with the DHR2 WT 3C as a front tire for the winter on the east coast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Coming off a 29er 2.5" DHF to a TRS race in front I honestly prefer the DHF. I think the side nobs on the trs aren't as stiff or supported as the DHF requiring you to run higher pressures to keep them from collapsing. That said the 2.35 TRS is the same size as the DHF and not a bad tires at all.

The knobs on the TRS seem to wear faster than the DHF but the casing is showing less wear signs... might be the higher pressure? No bike park days so I can't really speak to the sidewall durability yet.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Asked in another thread, how do they compare to Magic Marys?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by babesquatch View Post
    Coming off a 29er 2.5" DHF to a TRS race in front I honestly prefer the DHF. I think the side nobs on the trs aren't as stiff or supported as the DHF requiring you to run higher pressures to keep them from collapsing. That said the 2.35 TRS is the same size as the DHF and not a bad tires at all.

The knobs on the TRS seem to wear faster than the DHF but the casing is showing less wear signs... might be the higher pressure? No bike park days so I can't really speak to the sidewall durability yet.
    The race compund is way softer than the the regular trs. I find the regular trs side knobs on par with the harder dhf compund but hooks up FAR better. I think I would only run the race in slippery rocks/roots.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by WHALENARD View Post
    The race compund is way softer than the the regular trs. I find the regular trs side knobs on par with the harder dhf compund but hooks up FAR better. I think I would only run the race in slippery rocks/roots.
    That was kinda my guess, I actually just got a regular trs mounted up on the back last night, looking forward to comparing them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    [QUOTE=CS645;12920230]Any more opinions on this one?

How's the race compounds holding up at the front? 40a and 42a for the surface compounds seems really soft, so was considering the plus.

I've ridden the trs+ for eight months, roughly 2,000 miles.

I ride all mountain type trails: long, difficult climbs followed by fast, rough, chunky downhill. I will never get a different front tire; I chose the trs+ because I ride to all of the trails and it has about 20% life left.

Great cornering traction with a very predictable drift. I never had a flat or sealing issue and I ride in sharp, rocky trails at high speeds.

I'm 5'7'' and 145lbs with kit. I'd highly recommend this tire. My buddies have also highly recommended the race tire.

Just a flesh wound
    I'm thinking of ordering a set for the fall and winter season here in New England. I have the Morsa G+ 27.5 x 2.3's on by LB 32mm internal rims. Very little room in the back. How does the TRS compare to the Morsa on width? I measure 60.5mm with my calipers on the Morsa. Anyone else have a confirmed measurement for the TRS on a 27.5 rim?

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hands down the stickiest, grippiest tire I've ever tried. As a race tire, these things are money. As an everyday trail tire, they're a little much. Heavy, draggy and the race version is SOFT. My two weighed 990 and 1020 grams for 29er, so the website weights are a little optimistic. I use it as a front with something faster rolling in the back.

I don't enjoy pedaling them but when I'm riding at full pace downhill, its amazing how much you can get away with.

Having a nice day!
    Agreed. I'm running a TRS+ on the front and a Morsa on the back. Very happy with this tire combination when I want to set up my bike in bruiser mode. Both of these tires measure out larger than stated on my rims.

Just a flesh wound
    Which one is bigger?

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Prophet Julio View Post
    Which one is bigger?
    The Morsa was about 1-2 mm bigger on 29mm ID rims.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

change is good
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneStar View Post
    Agreed. I'm running a TRS+ on the front and a Morsa on the back. Very happy with this tire combination when I want to set up my bike in bruiser mode. Both of these tires measure out larger than stated on my rims.
    Love this combo although the DHF 2.5/Aggressor is awesome too. The Aggressor wears better than the Morsa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just a flesh wound
    I am going to switch to the TRS+ rear and TRS Race front for the slippery season (Fall). I love the Morsa, but it is not amazing on wet roots or slippery rocks, something we have in abundance here in New England.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So most agreed it is heavy and draggy, but compared to a DHF 2.5? Seems it is lighter by company stated weights. I'll also ask, any of you run Magic Mary's up front and how is the comparison?