Thread: Dust a Duster?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Dust a Duster?

I ride a Rumblefish Elite which currently has the stock Bontrager Duster 29s. I weigh roughly 200# geared up and ride somewhat aggressively at times. For a while now I've been considering getting new wheels for all the usual reasons. However after doing some research it seems that the duster wheels are actually fairly decent and fairly light. I've looked at several different wheelsets but all of them have something about them that I don't care much for and all too often they are narrower than what I would like. My top three reasons for upgrading are better hub engagement, added bling, quicker/lighter is always nice.

So, after not finding a wheel set that fully suits me and my 800-1000 budget I have been considering just getting some Industry Nine or Chris King hubs & Lacing them to my duster rims. In the process I would also powdercoat some custom graphics into my duster rims for the bling factor. So I guess the remaining concern in my reason for posting is I'm wondering if the Duster rims are going to be stiff enough to suit me down the road as I progress as a rider. Furthermore am I going to blow them up if I ride hard enough has anyone here ever trashed a Duster rim under normal use?

Save Jesus
    The Duster is a very decent rim, sub 500g, UST compatible with the TLR rimstrip, 32 spokes, so they are stronger than the Rhythm, 23mm width, etc. I believe the WTB i23 rim is a little heavier and a little stronger, if you want an upgrade.

Powder coating may or may not weaken the rims due to baking them at a high temperature.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: Dust a Duster?

So no reports of trashing a duster rim?