mtbr member

Durability issues with MAXXIS High Roller LUST?!?!!

Edit: Maxxis resolved the issue with a very generous warranty claim

---------------------------------------------------
    Original post:

this tire has really become the tire I hate to love.

I love the performance with this up front and a slant six on back of my hard-chargin' hardtail, but the durability problems combined with the ridiculous cost of this tire are an infuriating combo

First I had issues with the tire getting punctured while running tubeless at reasonable PSI (wasnt so upset at this point..these things happen)

Then I started getting these weird spots where the air would come through the tubeless layer and make huge bubbled up raises under the tread layer...I stopped running them tubeless

Then small cracks started to develop in the tread layer

Now the kicker, I have a 3.5 in. crack in the tread layer running lengthwise near the cornering edges (ie: the cornering knobs near the crack and be easily peeled back with your finger)...doubt any rubber glue would be strong enough to fix but open to suggestions

Part that really makes me is that these are extremely expensive and i have plenty of tread life left. I really think for these prices integrity of the tire should well outlast the tread life

have others had issues with maxxis LUST, or specifically the HR LUST? wonder if my experience is one-off bad luck or are these LUST tires just not worth the cost?

EDIT: i will add that I've had awesome luck running regular non-lust maxxis tires as tubless tires...plenty of different tires, HR, minion, ardent and i've actually never had an issue. This was my first and only LUST tire from them
    Last edited by ride the biscuit; 07-09-2013 at 08:03 PM.

JeffcoHo
    I would take pic's and send it in. I have had nothing but good luck with Maxxis products. I had a 2.3 x 26 Lust highroller 70a tire on the rear of my bike for over a year or a lot of hard riding. I never once had any problems with it.
    ‎"Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears." -Marcus Aurelius

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Just out of curiosity, what sealant are you running? I have gotten the "bubbles" before and i believe it was caused by Stan's sealant, which is known to be corrosive. OTOH a LUST tire ought to be designed for it, so who knows. I've had good luck with Maxxis tires in general, so i can't really offer much except to suggest that you try to warranty it through Maxxis.

You ought to check out the Slime Pro sealant, it's non-corrosive and doesn't ever dry out...i've had good luck with it.

mtbr member
    it was stans. ive read that about stans, but if using stans is a no no then that is totally bass-akwards

it seemed like the bubbles formed when I pumped the tire up to max pressure and let it sit for a while to make sure the bead was seated well and not leaking air

mtbr member
    I appreciate the replies, guys!

The irony of the situation is that I have nearly a whole quart of stans sealant left, but after years of being a tubeless-or-bust guy, I'm sort of at the point where I dont care about running tubeless much anymore.

My full suspension bike sees some heavy action and sometimes it is actually nice to have the extra support provided by the tube. And on the other end my hardtail that serves XC/trail duty is no lightweight but by comparison to my FS, its so light and fast rolling I dont really feel the need to futz with tubeless to lose those extra grams of spinning weight.

mtbr member
    Well, i contacted the shop i bought it from. I gave them the gist except the use of sealant which does void warranty, and they still said that there wasn't a chance maxxis would warranty it. I trust their judgement, its a great shop.

Anyway, I know its an amazing performing tire, but I for one will never buy maxxis LUST again.

I know some will think I'm over-dramatizing a natural part of our sport, but there are plenty of less expensive options that offer great performance out there.

Lastly, here's the visual:

Durability issues with MAXXIS High Roller LUST?!?!!-maxxis-lust-rip2.jpg

mtbr member

Durability issues with MAXXIS High Roller LUST?!?!!

Been running the same tire on the front of my Mojo SL for 2 years (it's not my primary bike). It's well worn, has seen a good deal of miles and conditions and the thing is rock solid, no tire degradation whatsoever and it holds air amazingly, despite the fact that I'm sure the sealant is a big alien booger. Maybe just a fluke?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    Well, i contacted the shop i bought it from. I gave them the gist except the use of sealant which does void warranty, and they still said that there wasn't a chance maxxis would warranty it. I trust their judgement, its a great shop.
    Your LBS was not correct. There's a very good chance that Maxxis will warranty your tire. Contact Maxxis USA directly - (866) 509-7067
    Tire Design & Development Engineer. The opinions expressed in this forum are solely my own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bholwell View Post
    Your LBS was not correct. There's a very good chance that Maxxis will warranty your tire. Contact Maxxis USA directly - (866) 509-7067
    YEah, after I posted I decided to still try it...just havnt done so yet. but i will certainly post results

mtbr member
    I called Maxxis.

Even though I lost my proof of purchase the rep looked at my picture, and they are inviting me to submit a claim form. I submit a form, then they will pay for me to ship it to them to make a decision.

They have been very easy to reach and courteous over the phone and email. Pretty good customer service so far even if it does get denied.

Will post up with resolution.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ride the biscuit View Post
    I called Maxxis.

Even though I lost my proof of purchase the rep looked at my picture, and they are inviting me to submit a claim form. I submit a form, then they will pay for me to ship it to them to make a decision.

They have been very easy to reach and courteous over the phone and email. Pretty good customer service so far even if it does get denied.

Will post up with resolution.
    I have a maxxis high roller UST tire that did the exact same thing when I ran it tubeless. I seated the tire, aired it up to specs, came back and discovered it had about a 2 inch bubble that was herniating outside of the tire right in the center. This was about 50 psi and went away after about 30 psi. Obviously a defect. I never followed up on a warranty and still have the tire, however it's no longer on my bike. It was a brand new tire and has never been used. I never ran it once I noticed the defect since it was for a DH race.
    Maybe I'll give'em a call, too. Ridiculous you have to pay for shipping. Some companies like easton will pay for shipping both ways and send you a warranty replacement. Of course, it's a USA company. Not so sure about MAxxis. I wonder how Schwable handles their claims? You may find yourself better off switching tire companies based on your outcome. Let us know.

mtbr member
    No, they said they would pay shipping.

Even before my OP, I hadnt truly considered dropping maxxis entirely. at the end of the day performance is king, and i think it just as much of a risk to pay ~$90 for another brand/model only to end up not loving the way the tire handles

I will say that I agree with the common opinion that the high roller is one of if not the best tires. and on top of that, the LUST model has just the right casing spec to hold that boxy shape so well that its the best HR model for most kind of riding.

Actually if this ends well for me, it is likely going be a 180* scenario and push me into maxxis fanboy territory, especially considering the circumstances clearly violating some of the official warranty terms.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Durability issues with MAXXIS High Roller LUST?!?!!-img_0472.jpg
    Here's my Maxxis HR LUST over a year old, but ridden once.

Used Stan's once I saw it herniating and then rode it. Didn't feel good so I ditched it. I'll call and see if they'll warranty.

mtbr member
    Wow!!! There was a brand new high roller lust waiting for me when I got home! They paid UPS to come pick it up from my house last Monday, and turned it around super quick.

That is really incredible customer service and pride/integrity in their product, especially since I had actually voided multiple terms of the warranty:
    -no proof of purchase
    -well older a year
    -had obviously used sealant

fanboy'd