squish, squish in da fish

dually pressures?

hey guys what pressures are you running on your dually's? i'm 200 geared riding a HT with 2.35 tires, generally pick good lines, ride as fast as i can and aggressive with some drops. drops consist of 3-4' with somewhat good transitions. i'm a little hesitant as i've blown through 2 sets of p-35's & i ran those with same tires at 30/26.

mtbpete
    Did you dent your previous rims? Generally you want to run the pressure as low as you can, but high enough that you're not denting the rims or feeling the tire roll in corner. The stiffness of the tire, width of the rim and your riding weight do all make a difference. It's ok to feel the rim hit once during a hard ride, but if you're denting it you'll have to raise the pressure in the tires you're using.

yeah both sets were pretty dented. my 30/26 was the final psi i came to with those (p-35's) that i could enjoy. when i took the rear psi higher the rear end of the bike bounced way too much when i unweighted it for obstacles. i know it's a feel thing and depends on other factors, but just wanted maybe a base point. i guess i'll start high and work it down, but i am a lil gun shy now after the past 2 sets. 30/26 seems like too much for these rims but i guess i'll start there. hopping around the basement and rolling over square edges at 22/18 seems good, but that's obviously not at speed either.

mtbr member
    What kind of casing tires are you using. I've found using some of the tubeless ready tires allow you to go lower while still protecting the rims. I'm running TNT tires (Gato) and they have pretty stiff sidewalls so running them down to 20psi on P-35's is good. But non tubeless or lightweight tubeless ready (S-Works for example) seem to need more like 25psi.
    Origin 8 Scout 29
    Rodriquez Adventure

Blog

i'm running bontrager 29-4 TLR w/ tubes and then when mud dries i go to panaracer rampage, but i am going to try chunky monkey enduro (front) and a smorgasbord trail extreme (rear). all tubed cuz i change tires like underwear. unfortunately i can't hit the trails here in MI as we're still in a deep freeze

mtbpete
    You can always vary it based on the particular terrain you're riding. If there's not a lot of square edges you can reduce the pressure, but on high speed descents with square edges you'll have to raise the pressure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hey fishwrinkle, what bike and tires your running the duallys with? I have a karate monkey and am wondering if I could fit one with either a conti 2.4 trail king or at least a 2.4 mountain king (it's smaller than a 2.4 TK for some reason) in the rear. If you have pictures too that would rock.

Hey capt, I'm running them on a gen 2 nimble 9 and not very happy with the dually's as far as strength. I have two dents in the rear and one in the front. I questioned nick from velocity when I ran into him at the Detroit bike expo. He reassured me they were much stronger than the p35's, as I destroyed two sets last season. I'm done with velocity for good. Time to go carbon. GL with them. I'm running 30/26psi and geared I'm 200lbs. Any higher psi and the ride is to rough, that is tubed also.

update: long story short, the bike i ran this wheelset on is on a stand needing some love and several parts due to a crash. that being said, i'm now running the dually's with a 3" knard and a 2.35 rampage on a rigid ss and am loving it. my pressures are 28 and 15. i ride this bike as if it is my AM hardtail and the rims are still true.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I run 30psi front, 35 rear, on two bikes:

5.5" AM with 2.35 Nevegals
    8" DH with 2.5 Minion DHF/DHR

I also have a 4" SS/DJ with 2.2 Specialized Fasttrack tires, and I might go 5 psi more in each tire on that one. Been running the same pressures, but the front tire made an odd zipper noise during a hard landing last weekend.