mtbr member

DT swiss XRC 300 / 1.2 + yellow tape / DT Swiss tubeless ki

I have purchased a Cannondale Flash Team with DT Swiss 1.2 carbon wheels (XRC 300 rim).

I've mounted two layers of Yellow Tape with Schwalbe Rocket Ron's, but it's very difficult to inflate them.

I'm pretty experienced with this type of conversions, but these rims seem to be quite difficult.

Anybody converted these to UST using Stan's Yellow Tape or the Eclipe kit?

mtbr member
    I think the successfull way around it is to use the standard rubber rim strip. I've also got those wheels and will be mounting my rocket ron's up when my stan's kit arrives.

gone for a bike ride
    i've been using Race King Supersonic tubeless with 21mm Stans yellow tape + Stans olympic valves & Hutchinson Protect Air (no amonia) with DT XRC 330 rims without probs for a few months now, air loss is minimal between rides - very happy with the set-up

will have a spanking new XRC 300 based wheelset within a few weeks (from Europe) and will use the same method

the DT XR kit is easier to use than the yellow tape alone - but the rubber rim strip weighs 27g and the double sided tape about 11g vs just 5g for the yellow tape

if you use a rubber gasket under the valve collar dab a small amount of silicone sealant (same as for aquariums) around the valve threads that pass through the rim - that will stop with any slow air leaks around the valve which was the only prob i had early on using olympic valves

hope that's of some help

...no crashes please this season madskatingcow!

gone for a bike ride
    ........additional blah.........

when i installed the yellow tape: first i cleaned the rims with white spirits till they were immaculate then dried with a clean cotton shop towel/warm air

i overlapped the valve hole by 5-6cm either side with the yellow tape, then pressed it down hard onto the rims with another clean shop towel to spread the force as evenly as poss - bingo

when first inflating a new tire it helps to ride it first with a tube so it gets used to locking into the bead, use 2 scoops or 100ml of UST gloop to start to help the beads seal, then after a month of riding you should be able get away with just 60ml or less

...if none of that helps you could alway post the wheelset over here and i'll do it for you (jokes)

mtbr member
    Well, issue is that with the yellow tape and the Schwalbe tires (which fite loosely around the rim), that when you pull the tire to the edge over the while circumference of the rim, the tires slides back inwards because the tire bead had no edge to hook up to. When inflating, the air just blows out of the tire.

Other tires like Vredestein etc have a narrower fit and probably don't have this issue.

gone for a bike ride
    i didn't need tire levers either to install 26x2.25 Racing Ralf EVO SnakeSkin the other week on a DT XR 1450 Race Edition wheelset (same 21mm rim width as the XRC's) with yellow tape + olympic valves

the only way to get the new SnakeSkin Ralph's to bite the bead was to ride them for a few days with tubes then carefully break the bead on one side, quicky install the valve - then inflate like the house is on fire around me!

in one tire i threw in 250ml of Hutchinson's UST gloop (2x what i normally need for a new tire) before the beads eventually hooked up, both RR now hold air like they are UST

tip: when your inflating the tires (or trying to) recruit a 2nd person to hold the wheel and slosh the UST solution around in the tires to ensure the beads are wetted inside on both sides & don't skimp on the soapy water, DR Bronners works best for me

will also be using Rocket Rons on my XRC 300 wheelset - so really looking forward to mounting them up!

hope that's of some help

good luck

mtbr member
    It's no fun to rain on your parade, but DT-S doesn't recommend trying to set up their carbon rims for tubeless.

Check out "Stop 4" on p.1 of their user's manual: http://www.dtswiss.com/getdoc/e96cbc...57/Manual.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow
    I have purchased a Cannondale Flash Team with DT Swiss 1.2 carbon wheels (XRC 300 rim).

I've mounted two layers of Yellow Tape with Schwalbe Rocket Ron's, but it's very difficult to inflate them.

I'm pretty experienced with this type of conversions, but these rims seem to be quite difficult.

Anybody converted these to UST using Stan's Yellow Tape or the Eclipe kit?
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Yup, I know that. I already contacted DT Swiss about this about 4 months ago. They advise against it.

Contacted Cannondale, and they say it's no problem + the Flash comes deliverd with the DT Swiss Tubeless Conversion kit, check out the tech specs

Extras : DT Swiss tubeless kit & RWS Ti rear, new Cannondale LE SuperLight lock-on grips

mtbr member
    Mounted the Eclipse / DT Swiss UST conversion kit, same tires and voila : piece of cake, it worked (thanks to the edges that hook up the tire bead for easier inflation) !

gone for a bike ride
    nice one

...don't let DT Swiss catch you! (lol)

mtbr member
    apologies for raising a very old thread but i have a set of the xr1.2 wheels coming with the scalpel i have ordered. have you had any issues with burping? is a true UST tyre the way to go? not too concerned about the weight... more concerned with stability and reliability!!!

mtbr member
    Ridden the whole summer with my Flash Team Edition with Racing Ralhp's 2.25, DT Swiss (Eclipse) tubeless conversion kit : no burping, zero issues. Currently I've got the Contintental X-King 2.2's Racesport mounted, fits like a breeze.

Note that it is very important to use a high quality sealant like Eclipse, as it creates a real strong seal between rim and tire bead (as opposed to Stan's ..).

mtbr member
    Awesome. I also want to run some xk's. Regarding the sealant, you can tell the difference between stans and others?

gone for a bike ride
    no burps/probs here either - been using Race King SS 2.2, also RoRo EVO 2.25 & RaRa 2.25 - not used UST tires with DT XRC rims yet (no need!)

was using the DT XR tubeless kit for over a year & now yellow tape for about another, cannot really tell the difference - except perhaps the DT valves bigger rubber boots make for a better valve hole seal than Stans Olympic valves

mounted up 2 pairs of X-King 2.4 SS last week with the "new" slime pro on 2 wheelsets with DT XR rims + DT XR tubeless kits

one wheel was so easy to inflate, i bunged it on the rim, threw in a scoop + 1/3 of sealant, soaked the beads with suds, shook it about with one hand and floorpumped with the other and the bead caught in just seconds!

the other 3 had an innertube installed for a few days to get them to stretch them a tad, they then inflated very easily with approx 1 1/3 scoops of slime + lot's of suds

Stans sealant is okay - but i find i need to use more of it to get non tubeless tires to bead the 1st time - but that might not be the case with the new TR tires - no amonia in the new version Stans gloop so perhaps better for tires compared to Slime?

best