Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

DT Swiss XR 400 with 240s hubs...what to do with them?

7K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Porschefan 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently I got a very good deal on on this wheelset. Even though it wasn't exactly what I was looking for it was one of those things where there isn't much risk because I'm sure that I can sell them if I decide to go in another direction.

I was leaning toward getting a set built using Flows or 819's with Hope Pro 2 EVO hubs before these came along and I may go back to that.

My first question about these wheels is what kind of tires would mount tubeless on the rims? And is the yellow rim tape in the pix enough to seal the spoke holes and provide a base for using sealant to mount tires? If not, what do I have to do to put tubeless tires on these? I measured the rims with my calipers and they seem to be 18mm on the inside and 23 on the outside.

I know these rims are not nearly as strong as Flows, and they are really an XC wheel. I figured that if they break, they break, and I've got the hubs to lace to Flows, or whatever. OTOH, even though I'm 210 lbs, I don't really ride hard enough to really batter anything, and they may be perfectly fine.

Another plus on this set is that the hubs fit my bike: 15x100- and 12x142-mm QR through axles. They are virtually brand-new--take offs from a Yeti ASR5 C.

That said, if any wheel -builders (or others) here are interested in trading these for Flows/819's on some quality hubs, feel free to PM.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The XR400 rim is a welded lightweight XC rim in the same manor as a Mavic X717. The current rim tape is simply for tubes, DT makes a rim strip to convert their rims to tubeless.
DT Swiss - DT Swiss tubelesskit

If you want to get rid of them...support MTBR and spend $2 to list them. If you price out the parts alone your at around $800 so you should be able to get plenty to build up the Flow or 819 wheelset.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.