mtbr member

DT Swiss XM 490 29er rims ??

Anyone using these? I'm trying to decide what rim to use with some Hope Evo's for an XC hard tail build, and this one caught my eye. Was also looking at Stan's Arch.

The DT's are a little bit heavier than Arch but also wider, have eyelets and are welded. (are Stan's welded?) I don't mind a little extra weight if it translates into durability. I'm a little skeptical about rims with no eyelets, and I'm not planning on running tubeless.

Arch EX: 460g, 24.6mm wide (21 inside)
    XM 490: 500g, 26mm wide (Not sure of the inside width )

mtbr member
    Well, I found the inside width of the XM's: 19.6mm. That's too bad, I thought these would be wider.

Doesn't look like there are a lot of choices out there for a wide, eyeletted and welded rim...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Saw these too. Not sure why they're so narrow either, particularly the inside. Seems like a waste.

mtbr member
    Eyelets and being welded dont add to durability or anything at all. It truly is completely irrelevant.

mtbr member
    Pacenti TL28...wide, light, welded, eyeletted, tubeless

As mentioned above Eyelets and Welded doesn't always mean better quality but the rims I mentioned meet all of your criteria.
    Former bicycle mechanic for 8 years, current soil scientist.

Blog

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Pacenti's look good to me too. My only nit is I wish the 31's were not such a large weight increase over the 28's. They're 50+ grams heavier then Flow EX's but the TL28's are likely what I'll pick. Can't justify Carbon yet and I want something wide, light and strong. I don't see any other option.