mtbr member
    Jan 2004

DT Swiss XM 421 vs. Stan's' MK3 Arch rim?

I was set to pull the trigger on a set of Stan's Arch MK3 when I came across the DT Swiss XM 421.

https://www.dtswiss.com/Components/Rims-MTB/XM-421 .

Dimensions seem similar - DT Swiss is 4mm taller, not sure if that has to do with Stan's short sidewall height. Thoughts?
    Last edited by keen; 12-13-2016 at 01:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'd go with the DT, I wasn't impressed by the Arch MK3 which I killed in a month of use on my hardtail trail bike. The shallow depth of the Arch leads to easy flat spotting, there's just not enough vertical strength or stiffness in the rims. I think Stans was trying to build some vertical compliance into the rims for a more comfortable ride, but in real world use it just leads to loosening spoke nipples and flat spotted rims.

As for DT, while I haven't used the 421 yet, I've liked what I've seen from all of their newer generation rims like the 471 and 481. They're not soft & noodly like the 430 and earlier generation rims, the new ones feel much more solid. Also find they're straighter out of the box than Stans, this makes building them up and getting a good even spoke tension easier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    I'd go with the DT, I wasn't impressed by the Arch MK3 which I killed in a month of use on my hardtail trail bike. The shallow depth of the Arch leads to easy flat spotting, there's just not enough vertical strength or stiffness in the rims. I think Stans was trying to build some vertical compliance into the rims for a more comfortable ride, but in real world use it just leads to loosening spoke nipples and flat spotted rims.

As for DT, while I haven't used the 421 yet, I've liked what I've seen from all of their newer generation rims like the 471 and 481. They're not soft & noodly like the 430 and earlier generation rims, the new ones feel much more solid. Also find they're straighter out of the box than Stans, this makes building them up and getting a good even spoke tension easier.
    The last DT Swiss rim I used was a 5.1 which dented easily and this was running tubed w/ pressures in the 30's. Ok that was years ago so most rims have changed & hopefully for the better. The Arch MK3 is billed as a trail / enduro rim which sounds like it should take some abuse - were you running really low pressures when you "killed" the Arch?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    The last DT Swiss rim I used was a 5.1 which dented easily and this was running tubed w/ pressures in the 30's. Ok that was years ago so most rims have changed & hopefully for the better. The Arch MK3 is billed as a trail / enduro rim which sounds like it should take some abuse - were you running really low pressures when you "killed" the Arch?
    I was running tubeless at 28-30psi, 150lbs rider, though it should be noted that I'm a lot harder on rims & tires than most riders. I put a bunch of wobbles and flat spots into the rim and it just got to the point where the spoke tensions were too far gone for the wheel to be safe.

As for DT, the 5.1 is something like an 8-10 year old model so it's definitely in the soft & weak era of DT's rims. Back in those days they had a different design philosophy and made their rims on the soft side so that they wouldn't crack apart & explode, they've learned and gone in another direction since then. Everything DT has released in the past 2-3 years has been solid, they run the rims harder so they don't dent nearly as easily and the new rim profiles are also stiffer & stronger than before.

Keep on Rockin...
    Tuned in.

Stan's stuff has always worked well for me. My last build was with an Arch mk3 and its held up well.

The 421 caught my eye and I'd like to try it.

From what I can tell it's tougher brother is the EX 471 and I run that for full bore DH and that one has held up great, so I'd think the 421 could stand non-DH abuse.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    FWIW, I built a wheel for a 27.5 plus using an XM551 rim. Very happy so far. Now, my 29er needs to have the wheel rebuilt and I'm thinking about switching out to that XM 421. Only issue is, no retailer currently has it. I was told end of January at the earliest.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by adagioca View Post
    FWIW, I built a wheel for a 27.5 plus using an XM551 rim. Very happy so far. Now, my 29er needs to have the wheel rebuilt and I'm thinking about switching out to that XM 421. Only issue is, no retailer currently has it. I was told end of January at the earliest.
    You can get more Plus out of your 29 by using the XM 481 at 525g and 30mm inner width with rounded profile tires like the XR Team Bontragers. XR2 is 2.35 -long wearing and fast rolling. Some 29 forks will fit 2.7-3" 29+ tires. So you could use one on that rim although wider 40-50mm inner would be better. Too bad the XM rims are 27.5 only so far.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by keen View Post
    I was set to pull the trigger on a set of Stan's Arch MK3 when I came across the DT Swiss XM 421.

https://www.dtswiss.com/Components/Rims-MTB/XM-421 .

Dimensions seem similar - DT Swiss is 4mm taller, not sure if that has to do with Stan's short sidewall height. Thoughts?
    Reviving this thread, any latest comments on the xm421 vs arch?

Barely in control
    Yeah, DT every time. I've never built a wheel so easy as the XM series. And they come with great nipples. Here is the tool: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1