yeah, uh............bikes

DT Swiss spokes for Easton Havoc wheels......Hard to find??

I busted a spoke on my last ride and took my rear wheel into the shop yesterday. Today I heard from the shop that none of their suppliers stock DT Swiss straight pull spokes, and that they'll check again on friday to see if they can get any (minimum buy also.....they can't stock up).

So is this a normal issue or did I take my wheel to a bum shop? I told the guy to order me a half dozen spares of each size (asymmetrical wheels) so I won't have to deal with this again, but damn, no one carries DT Swiss spokes????

anyone else run into this??

ups and downs
    If a shop has a spoke cutting/threading machine it's easy for them to convert a standard j bend spoke into a double ended black double butted spoke. Not many shops have a spoke cutting/threading machine.

from the easton website.
    ------
    Spokes: Custom DT oversized, straight-pull, stainless steel, black coating. 2.35/1.85/2.0 diameter with alloy nipples.
    ------

ups and downs
    DT Swiss Alpine III are triple butted 2.35 / 1.8 / 2.0, plenty close enough for rock and roll, but only in silver from DT Swiss. If you can get the Easton spokes that's the best route, but to get you back on the trail...

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    DT Swiss Alpine III are triple butted 2.35 / 1.8 / 2.0, plenty close enough for rock and roll, but only in silver from DT Swiss. If you can get the Easton spokes that's the best route, but to get you back on the trail...
    I just checked out the Aline III's, but they are J-end spokes. I need straight pull spokes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You could insert usual 2mm spoke. Try it, J-bend will lay around the ledge of a hub.
    I fitted on XC-One Easton. 2.35 spoke can be inserted too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Replacement spokes are available in packages of five through any bike shop or directly from our service center at 877-835-6629.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Easton Wheel Service View Post
    Replacement spokes are available in packages of five through any bike shop or directly from our service center at 877-835-6629.
    Not in Sweden. A real pain to locate replacement spokes over here and you don't make things easier by not publishing spoke dimension info on your site and by not answering emails.
    Sorry if I seem a bit pissed of but that's simply because I'm a bit pissed off.

Former Bike Wrench
    Part of the "fun" of buying wheelsets that use non-standard parts...not unique to Easton (cust service on the other hand sounds about right IME with them).

Best to always carry spares if you go the proprietary route on wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Too true! I'm not complaining about the performance though, these are great wheels for a do it all AM/FR bike. It's a bummer that they can't back up a great product with equally great service...

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker72 View Post
    Part of the "fun" of buying wheelsets that use non-standard parts...not unique to Easton (cust service on the other hand sounds about right IME with them).

Best to always carry spares if you go the proprietary route on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by twingate View Post
    Not in Sweden. A real pain to locate replacement spokes over here and you don't make things easier by not publishing spoke dimension info on your site and by not answering emails.
    Sorry if I seem a bit pissed of but that's simply because I'm a bit pissed off.
    I posted spoke dimensions that i pulled from the website a few years ago. Also, I've had shops bend regular j-end spokes and use them in the straight pull setup. It's not ideal, but it will work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish View Post
    I posted spoke dimensions that i pulled from the website a few years ago. Also, I've had shops bend regular j-end spokes and use them in the straight pull setup. It's not ideal, but it will work.
    Finding straight-pull spokes is no big problem but getting the oversized 2.35 type used is proving somewhat problematic. Bending 2.3 bent type to straight may work but generally not a good idea in the metal fatigue dept