mtbr member
    Feb 2008

dt swiss rims -vs- dt swiss hubs?

Hello - I've heard some criticisms of DT Swiss rims, mainly that they ding easily and it's hard to get tires on them.

However, DT Swiss hubs seem to be more of a "safe bet." In other words, I haven't seen a pattern of criticism about DT Swiss hubs.

Therefore, I'm assuming that I'm not likely to experience any "gotchas" with the DT Swiss 350 hubs.

Have you heard of any bad experiences with DT Swiss 350 hubs? Or does the DT Swiss 350 seem like 1 of the most solid "no brainer" choices you can make for a mtb hub?

mtbr member
    After owning DT 240's for several years I decided to give the 350 a shot. It was on the rear of my Pugsley through most of the winter. Not much time with it, but it's had a rough life already. Lots of snow and mud in those months. I pulled it apart a few days ago and it was still clean inside. So far it certainly seems like a no brainer choice. Not sexy but a real workhorse.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ianic - thanks for your feedback! I actually prefer the look (and price) of the 350 over the 240.

I'm getting my bike frame powdercoated in low gloss black for a low key look so I actually prefer the black & white 350 over the blazing red 240.

I love the sound of the 350 with the 36 poe upgrade (sounds like an airplane flying overhead) so I'm glad to hear you think the hub is a no-brainer!

mtbr member
    Yup, DT hubs are superb - I have also run the DT rims for years, and while they can get dinged, it was never anything catastrophic, nor did it ever interrupt a ride.

Word of caution on the 36 POE upgrade - I have heard that there are some potential reliability issues, so keep your 16POE parts as spares just in case.

mtbr member

Re: dt swiss rims -vs- dt swiss hubs?

Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Word of caution on the 36 POE upgrade - I have heard that there are some potential reliability issues, so keep your 16POE parts as spares just in case.
    When they get quite it's time to clean and lube em.
    Takes only a couple of minutes, no tools. Invest in the DT grease. It's enough for 20+ rebuilds.
    Over 2yrs on mine with no problems. Just keep up with servicing them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The only downside to the 350 vs the 340 is axle convertibility. Otherwise, you're getting a fantastic hubset. If you want a noisy freehub, that could also be considered a downside, since DTSwiss hubs are like the stealth fighter of mountainbiking. Stick a baseball card in spokes to remedy.
    As stated, they aren't "sexy" insomuch as bright colors are "sexy". It's a black hub.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I like quiet hubs. I think 1 reason why I haven't ridden my current mtb more often is because of the loud "click" the hub makes.

If DT Swiss is "stealth" that's a good thing in my book. I watched a vid of a Chris King hub on YouTube and it sounded like it was screaming which I def don't like.

Is the following vid a pretty fair representation of the DT Swiss 350 with 18 poe vs 36 poe?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Depends on what vid you're referring to.........

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    That's what it would sound like if you lived in an echo chamber and your freehub had zero grease in it.
    Now rewatch the video with your fingers stuffed into your ears and down pillows over your speakers and you'll get a better idea.
    DT Swiss hub is never that loud.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    thanks jm2e - even better!

@trailgrinder
    What dt Swiss hubs are standard on a superfly? Which ever DT internals they are running they are about the perfect sound and no too loud or completely quite but also have been bullet proof.

mtbr member
    The 350's are about the same weight as SLX hubs, but have half the engagement and touchy reliability with the upgraded ratchets. They're also 3x more expensive. Im sure they're good hubs, but they're not too competitive! SLX hubs are also quieter, but dt hubs arent too loud to begin with.

I like DT's stuff a lot. I had a 240 hub, but it was about 50 bucks used. Great hub, but no way im paying the asking ~$400 for one! Even the 350's end up around 200 bucks.