mtbr member
    May 2006

DT Swiss Onyx disc servicing

Hey all. Got yet another question for the pros (and looking for confirmation that my LBS aint worth %$S&!#)

Anyway...

Got play in the front and rear wheels. I can flex the wheels and see the gap between the rotor and pads change. The LBS said to tighten the hub cones, but upon further examination of the DT Swiss manual, there does not appear to be such items for my model on either front or rear hub. Is this a case of re-tensioning the spokes? Am I reading the manual wrong?

Thanks!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    1. You are correct, the Onyx does not have cones. It is a sealed bearing hub.

2. The spokes can not affect the movement you see in any way.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Any ideas on how to stop the play - or is this normal? The wheel flexes when I corner, causing the disc to scrape against the pads. It never used to. Both wheels are true.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I owned a set of onyx hubed wheels for a time. I recall they had an outer axle lock nut that when backed off/released you could access an adjustment nut for snugging up the hubs. Take a close look at that area just outside the bearing seals, you should see some kind of set up as I've described?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ok thanks. It might only be on the rear hub, and not on the front one. The diagrams for the hubs in the manual indicate there is some sort of nut on the rear.