mtbr member
    May 2008

DT Swiss M1900's or upgrade to I9 Enduro's right away?

My new bike is coming with DT Swiss M1900s. I want a wide, durable rim and am not as concerned about weight so those seem to fit the bill.

I haven't found a lot of reviews on the DT Swiss M1900's but I would also like a durable, high-ish POE hub so that's where I have some concerns as far as the wheels go. I do like to earn my upgrades, but could get the I9 Enduro S for 20% off now.

Should I jump on it or wait and see how the M1900's do?

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    My new bike is coming with DT Swiss M1900s. I want a wide, durable rim and am not as concerned about weight so those seem to fit the bill.

I haven't found a lot of reviews on the DT Swiss M1900's but I would also like a durable, high-ish POE hub so that's where I have some concerns as far as the wheels go. I do like to earn my upgrades, but could get the I9 Enduro S for 20% off now.

Should I jump on it or wait and see how the M1900's do?
    The star ratchet in the DT is the benchmark for reliability. Can be upgraded to 54 poe.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I would ride the M1900 for awhile and if you do decide to upgrade, you will have a backup wheelset.

As far as the Enduro S goes (as opposed to the Enduro 305), they are fine but not remarkable for the money, even at 20% off. You can get a pretty nice set of hand built wheels for $600. My opinion on the Enduro S may differ if they didn't dumb down the hubs by removing half the pawls.

Travis, I believe the 1900 series come with the 370 hub which uses a traditional 3-pawl system and not the star ratchet. Looks to be the main difference from the M1700 which has a 350 based hub with the star ratchet.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by c_trail_biker View Post
    I would ride the M1900 for awhile and if you do decide to upgrade, you will have a backup wheelset.

As far as the Enduro S goes (as opposed to the Enduro 305), they are fine but not remarkable for the money, even at 20% off. You can get a pretty nice set of hand built wheels for $600. My opinion on the Enduro S may differ if they didn't dumb down the hubs by removing half the pawls.

Travis, I believe the 1900 series come with the 370 hub which uses a traditional 3-pawl system and not the star ratchet. Looks to be the main difference from the M1700 which has a 350 based hub with the star ratchet.
    Yep, I was reading the hub is a 370 too. Do you know the POE?
    Seems like a lot of people said they breaking after a few rides but may just be anecdotal based on a google search. I agree though, I should at least put some miles on them and I imagine DT Swiss covers them for a year or so under warranty.

mtbr member
    Did your wheels come off a Primer? Mine did too. I upgraded to a set of custom wheels with DT Swiss 32h XM 481 (30mm ID) and I9 Torch 3* hubs for under $600 shipped. I didn't want the Centerlock rotors, narrow rim, non-star hubs, etc. Now the M1900s are my back up set.
    Figuring this all out as I go!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRider View Post
    Did your wheels come off a Primer? Mine did too. I upgraded to a set of custom wheels with DT Swiss 32h XM 481 (30mm ID) and I9 Torch 3* hubs for under $600 shipped. I didn't want the Centerlock rotors, narrow rim, non-star hubs, etc. Now the M1900s are my back up set.
    They're off a YT Jeffsy 27.5. The 27.5 version have a 30mm ID, so I believe the 29er version are a lot more narrow.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    any idea on the weight of your custom wheelset and from which vendor? thanks!

mtbr member
    Spec'd at 1,912g but they are still on their way so I won't have a chance to put them on a scale until later this week or early next.

I gave Bicycle Wheel Warehouse a shot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Spec'd at 1,912g but they are still on their way so I won't have a chance to put them on a scale until later this week or early next.

I gave Bicycle Wheel Warehouse a shot.
    I have had good luck with BWW in the past.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by c_trail_biker View Post
    I have had good luck with BWW in the past.
    Lots of people did, and feedback like yours is what got me to trust them. I still have to see the wheels, but all of my interactions with them have been smooth and they were quick to get back to me. I didn't want any of their canned options, but they have a custom wheel builder and I assembled a great set at an excellent price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    I'm riding a 2017 YT Jeffsy 27 that came with M1900s, unfortunately the 2017s came with 22.5mm iW rims and I'm finding them to be 'OK' but definitely regretting overlooking this during the bike selection/ordering process.

I too am looking at making a switch sooner rather than later, I'm debating between the Trail 270 and Enduro 305. The type of riding I do sort of falls between the two, but is it even worth the upgrade?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbeh View Post
    I'm riding a 2017 YT Jeffsy 27 that came with M1900s, unfortunately the 2017s came with 22.5mm iW rims and I'm finding them to be 'OK' but definitely regretting overlooking this during the bike selection/ordering process.

I too am looking at making a switch sooner rather than later, I'm debating between the Trail 270 and Enduro 305. The type of riding I do sort of falls between the two, but is it even worth the upgrade?
    Damn, you're right. I just got my bike and the rims are definitely more narrow than my Arches. I like wide wheels with a high POE so that will convince me to upgrade assuming it becomes my main bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    Damn, you're right. I just got my bike and the rims are definitely more narrow than my Arches. I like wide wheels with a high POE so that will convince me to upgrade assuming it becomes my main bike.
    Bummer. You can check, the iWidth is printed on the rim, just to the right of the "27.5" logo.

It's puzzling as to why YT spec'ed this bike with the 22.5mm rim, when there's a 30mm option?! Maybe to push users toward the higher spec'ed bikes? Lame either way.

I've been running the stock 2.4 High Roller II's so far and they're not bad, not terribly squirmy at 24/25 PSI but I'd love to be able to throw a 2.5 DHF on the front and drop the pressure. Eh.

Other than the rim width, I love the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbeh View Post
    Bummer. You can check, the iWidth is printed on the rim, just to the right of the "27.5" logo.

It's puzzling as to why YT spec'ed this bike with the 22.5mm rim, when there's a 30mm option?! Maybe to push users toward the higher spec'ed bikes? Lame either way.

I've been running the stock 2.4 High Roller II's so far and they're not bad, not terribly squirmy at 24/25 PSI but I'd love to be able to throw a 2.5 DHF on the front and drop the pressure. Eh.

Other than the rim width, I love the bike.
    Likely because they got a deep discount on a model from DT Swiss has a surplus of that isn't selling anymore.

Danger Zone
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    The star ratchet in the DT is the benchmark for reliability. Can be upgraded to 54 poe.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
    The M1900s do not come with a star ratchet design; it uses a 3-pawl system.

The engagement really isn't as terrible as I thought it would be. Much better than what came stock on my Specialized Enduro. That being said, I am currently looking to swap out the hub for a Hope Pro 4. The wheels seem fine but the hub is virtually silent. I'm not big into the 'angry bees' sound, but most of my local trails are combination hiking/biking trails so I want something a little louder for the safety of myself and any hikers or dogs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I run 650B M1900's (30mm ID) on my Firebird. They've been given a hiding and still run true. They have the 36t ratchet upgrade, which could be better, but they run very quiet which I love. My only gripe is a small one - that DT Swiss have managed to misalign the graphics on each side of the wheel so I can't match the tyre logos on both sides. It's an attention to detail that I can't believe they overlooked.

Danger Zone
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtersNZ View Post
    I run 650B M1900's (30mm ID) on my Firebird. They've been given a hiding and still run true. They have the 36t ratchet upgrade, which could be better, but they run very quiet which I love. My only gripe is a small one - that DT Swiss have managed to misalign the graphics on each side of the wheel so I can't match the tyre logos on both sides. It's an attention to detail that I can't believe they overlooked.
    Can I ask how you did the 36T upgrade? The M1900s are a 3 pawl spline hub, not a star ratchet style, so as far as I know you can't do the ratchet upgrade.

For the logos I removed the ugly "M1900 spline" text and just left the DT Swiss logo. Lined those up with the Maxxis logos on the drive side so at least it looks a little better than that hot mess DT Swiss put together. They're still misaligned on the non-drive side, but it's better than nothing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldFly View Post
    Can I ask how you did the 36T upgrade? The M1900s are a 3 pawl spline hub, not a star ratchet style, so as far as I know you can't do the ratchet upgrade.

For the logos I removed the ugly "M1900 spline" text and just left the DT Swiss logo. Lined those up with the Maxxis logos on the drive side so at least it looks a little better than that hot mess DT Swiss put together. They're still misaligned on the non-drive side, but it's better than nothing.
    The upgrade came standard with the Firebird XT/XTR model. Spline hubs I believe. The cassette just slides off though and the star ratchets can come right out. My logos are wet decals or something, no edges to lift so won't come off. Thought about going stealth too :/

*edit: I got the model wrong 😅 they are "DT SPLINE-TWO M1700 30mm Inner w/ 36T star ratchet upgrade". So not M1900.. Oops

Danger Zone
    Quote Originally Posted by ButtersNZ View Post
    The upgrade came standard with the Firebird XT/XTR model. Spline hubs I believe. The cassette just slides off though and the star ratchets can come right out. My logos are wet decals or something, no edges to lift so won't come off. Thought about going stealth too :/

*edit: I got the model wrong 😅 they are "DT SPLINE-TWO M1700 30mm Inner w/ 36T star ratchet upgrade". So not M1900.. Oops
    The M1900 has waterslide decals too. I had to use industrial strength Goof-Off to get them off. That stuff is nasty, but it works. Don't even try it without chemical-resistant gloves and ventilation. Same stuff I used to redo our floors.