mtbr member
    Jul 2008

DT Swiss EXC 1550. Tubeless

Hi, I have the opportunity to buy a set of DT Swiss EXC 1550 wheels http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Whee.../EXC-1550.aspx at a price that is almost too good to pass up.
    My problem is: I just read that DT Swiss do not recommend using tubeless with this wheelset, which makes them far less attractive to me because I don't know if I can go back to tubes after being on UST.
    Has anyone run a tubeless kit on this wheelset?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Get the wheels and convert them anyway;Live a little!

If you're worried about warranty then try not to make it obvious they were converted before you warranty them.
    believe in yourself! I believe in you!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    This chrismas, I got myself the exc 1550. Super awsome wheelset. I tried to convert it to tubeless using stans kit, but could never get a definate seal. Also, any time i ran less than 30psi, and took med to big off camber hits, it would burp. So now i just run regular tubes...
    Good luck-

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hi Buell1450- I found out form the Australian importer why they don't recommend you use a DT Swiss tubeless kit on them. Its only because if people over inflate the tyre to a really high PSI when installing the tyre to get it to seat there is a possibility of breaking the rim. The other issue is if people run very low tyre pressure and ride sharp edge rocks it could crack the rim.

Try a DT Swiss kit, thats what I am going to use.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I know that Dirt editor Steve Jones ran them tubeless in last years Trans Provence. In the mag he stated that he had no problems. I am guessing more people has tried to run the tubeless now since they have been around for a while.

I am considering to convert mine. Does anyone have any new experiences to share?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

EXC 1550 Tubeless

Hi, I've been running there wheels since they were available. I have two sets, on on a Moment, and the other on a pivot 5.7. On both sets i was never able to get a good bead seal. So i ended up running Ghetto Tubless. Look it up, it really works well and further protects the rim from impacts.
    Before i went tubeless, i did have a rim break. I was running 40psi when i hit a sharp rock at high speed. Is sounded like a gunshot going of.... It cracked vertically through a spoke hole through half the rim. It was covered under warranty. That same day, my buddy, who rides much heavier than me hit that same rock and totally destroyed a stans flow rim. So it shows that the exc1550 is a very stiff strong wheel.
    Regards

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    The DT Swiss EXC 1550's can be run tubeless.

I believe it says on their site that they are tubeless ready.

See here:
    DT Swiss - EXC 1550

You can see in the specs that the wheels come with tubeless tape. I would think that they are tubeless ready because of this

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Read again...

They come with rim tape, not tubeless tape. They are not tubeless ready and they specifically recommend against it. Go through the web page with more care.
    Regards.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yes, the point is that DT states that the wheels cannot be converted to tubeless. The wheels are amazing and I would like to try a tubeless conversion to save a few more grams.

buell1450: Did you use the gorilla tape ghetto set up or the inner tube ghetto set up?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I used just the inner tube with a regular rim strip to cover the spoke holes.
    The wheels are really awesome, they roll very fast and the lateral stiffness is incredible. Even though i did break a rim, i have never had to true them. they have gone to moab several times, tough colorado trails an to peru.
    I think that the advantage of using the inner tube in the ghetto tubeless is that when you run low pressures, the inner tube flexed with the tire bead, thus further preventing burps. It holds the seal longer.
    Anyways, get a set, with ghetto it works well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I have used the wheels for a couple of months with tubes and they are fantastic. I think I will try "normal" tubeless first since the weight saving with the ghetto set up will be marginal compared to running tubes.