mtbr member

DT swiss EX 5.1D and Shimano Deore XT hub

I just bought a new rear wheel for my Hardrock as I dented my old Deore hubed sun rims rhyno lite stupidly deciding I would ride up some stairs. How are these wheels and hubs? My deore hub wasnt really a hub that I would use over again and lace them to new hoops but I feel as though the XT is a much better hub that my old one. Will these stand up to urban riding and my 2.5 maybe 3.5' drops off stairs and stuff I do when I ride street? I guess all im really looking for is a review of ethier the hub or the hoop....or maybe both....thanks!
    Whats Next? SOME DIRT JUMPS!!!!!

mtbr member
    The XT hub/EX 5.1d rim is an AM build. Of course your Hardrock frame is more an XC frame than an urban frame, and you probably know at some point your frame is going to be the weak point to fail.

I think I'd like to see you riding a FR rim like the Salsa Gordo, and a FR/DH hub like the Shimano Saint, unless you're a lightweight.

XT hub reviews: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...26_127crx.aspx

Saint hub reviews: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...66_127crx.aspx

Gordo rim reviews: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wh...15_139crx.aspx
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Funny you should mention the saint hubs because I was actually looking at a set of front and rear wheels for the bike instead of the 5.1d. They were single tracks with saint hubs but I was told these would not fit which is a bummer as I was ready to buy them. I am a pretty lightweight kid to so im a little eaiser on stuff because of my lightness. thanks for the links to,....dont know why I didnt think of that!
    Whats Next? SOME DIRT JUMPS!!!!!

mtbr member
    Since you're a lightweight, you should be good to go with the 5.1d, as long as you keep enough pressure in your tires and ride 2.0-2.2 inch wide tires, for enough volume. The rim is good for 2.5" tires, but I doubt your frame is.
    Hey everybody, ride my wheels! They ride good, real good.
    I'm a wheel builder. SRLPE Wheel Works. Send me a PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The 5.1d rims are surprisingly tough. When you ride street, pump up your tires. Bent rims mean not enough tire pressure. I run 35-40 psi on my 5.1ds, and if I were going to use them for street I'd go up to 60 (but I have a set of heavy duty wheels with DH tires).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    sorry if I jack your thread but I'm looking for a rear wheel too and was looking at DT 4.2d
    is it worth going with 5.1d over 4.2d? I'm a pretty light kid also and ride mostly XC with no more than 2' to 3' drops