Still rockin' those bibs!
    Sep 2004

DT Swiss EX 5.1 and Tubeless

Any experience with these rims? Can I throw in a rim strip and mount up tubeless tires? Any input would be appreciated
    Like half of everything I ride comes out of Jenson. Figure that out.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycra Matt View Post
    Any experience with these rims? Can I throw in a rim strip and mount up tubeless tires? Any input would be appreciated
    DT makes a conversion strip that you can put in for these. I have them on a bike. I've never tried a Stan's strip or ghetto on these rims, it would probably work, but I decided if DT makes one specifically for this rim I'd go that route instead of something generic.

You can get it here:
    DT Swiss Tubeless Conversion Kit at JensonUSA.com

Fat Guy Riding
    I've done it with Stans yellow tape and their standard valvestem. Worked fine.

Make sure right after taping that you put a tube in there, inflate to 40psi and leave overnight to help the tape seat properly. That's the key to sealing all the spoke holes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    A bike company should come out with a bike named after Mikey. the Santa Cruz Vandeman. That would pisss him off to no end.

Former Bike Wrench
    I Gorilla Tape'd a X470 rim and it was a very easy conversion, no drama at all. The 5.1 has a very similar profile, just wider. I used an air compressor and both Michelin (non-tubeless) and Bontrager TLR tires seated quite easily.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Running the DT kit with the ex500 (same wheel) as well. Presently my set-up on my smaller hardtail. Max2.35HR single ply. no issues. i go 225 + gear. no flats, burps, or issues at all.

mtbr member
    Ditto.

I've done a tubeless conversion with the DT 5.1D rims using a Stan's strip (not even sure it was the right one for this rim but it fit) and using a the ghetto rim strip method (cut 20" tube) as well. Both systems worked fine.

I will say that I had the front tire (Minion DHF EXO 2.5 single ply) burp after landing a 4' drop to off-camber slickrock with too little air pressure twice within the first week I had them set up tubeless. Since then I haven't had any issues running 25-28 lbs in the front and 27-30 lbs in the rear.

Former Bike Wrench
    I should also mention that my Specialized came with M520 rims (29er) with their blue tape installed and it was an easy conversion as well with Specialized 2Bliss tires. Though I did get burping below 25 psi.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I use Bontrager rim strips and valves in my 5.1Ds. Not very expensive at $10 per strip plus the valves.
    Snaps right in under the bead.
    Sealed up with a floor pump using 2.4 UST Trail kings.
    For good measure I did use sealant at the valve o-ring, and smeared some around the tire bead since I had it there and didn't want to go get my bottle of soapy water.

No burps and holds air as well as my Mavic EX 823s so far without any sealant. Fairly sure it is lighter, too.

Propr
    Yes. Currently using them on my Nomad with Schwalbe HD's and have used them with WTB Wolverines 2.2 AM TCS.

Works great, no burps at all. The rim strip is slotted on the sides and locks the tire bead in place...tight!

It can be very hard to get tires on and off...it takes some time. Your LBS will not like you if you make them put on Wolverines 2.2's!

Because the strip takes up some room on the rim it doesn't allow the tire to set down in the rim groove, this make is harder to put on the tires. It definitely comes off the rim better than going on it.

I would make sure to get tires with good sidewall protection. That way you will will have less likely the chance of sidewall damage in rocky sections making you have to put in a temporary tire boot and tube on the trail. It's do able...just not preferred due to the always changing environment of the trail and not being in your garage.

I've had no problems with the HD's. Make sure you get good valve stems with removable cores...that way you can take out the core and put in Stan's sealant every now and then for a refresh w/o taking off the tires. Think I used Mavic stems instead of the ones that came in the kit...I was told they seal a bit better and I've not had any issues with them.

Let me know if you need more info.
    12 Bandit Two9
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Tarmac SL3

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Most of this has been said already, but here`s my 2cents anyway -
    EX 5.1D is an easy rim to make any kind of conversion. Avoid those original DT Swiss tubeless kits, buying those is wasting money. Original red rim strip is far too soft and loose.
    Bontragers rim strips are ok, but one very good option is use one layer of Stans yellow tape and in addition, normal 19mm wide Schwalbes blue high pressure strip. Much better than most others.

Stans rim strip with integrated valve is ok, but there`s still need to use Stans tape below - if you broke your tire middle-of-nowhere and need to use inner tube, you`ll have to take Stans integrated rim strip away and then there`s nothing between inner tube and spoke holes...

Have had two sets of wheels with 5.1D`s for few years, never had problems with burbing etc.

Flaccid Member
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Do the DT Swiss valve stems have a removable core? Or is it just the Mavic & Stans with a removable core?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fcaw11 View Post
    Do the DT Swiss valve stems have a removable core? Or is it just the Mavic & Stans with a removable core?
    Yes, the DT Swiss supplied valves have removable cores.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I just did my EX500 rims ghetto with Gorilla tape and Notubes valves. No problems inflating them up at the gas station using Ardent 2.25 and 2.4 EXO tires. No leakage at all through the sidewall and only pinholes at bead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have a wheelset with EX500 rims. The DT Swiss conversion kit says to only use UST tires. Is that truely necessary? I want to convert them to tubeless, but would rather not have the heavier UST tires if I don't have to.
    2011 Santa Cruz Blur LTc
    2005 KHS DJ200
    2005 Rocky Mountain ETSX-70 (stolen)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Can I use a XR400 or 4.1 Dt swiss tubeless kit on a 5.1 or EX500 rims? everything looks the same diameter...