Keep on Rockin...

DT Swiss EX 471 rim, review...

For those looking at this rim for a 275 AM to DH:

Great rim.

This rim came stock on my 2015 Glory 0. I've run these rims through the rockiest DH courses and they've survived well beyond what I'd expect for a 500g rim on a DH bike. Initially I was thinking Gaint was off spec'ing such a light rim for DH use. Then saw Gwin ride one naked across the finish line, so figured I'd give them a shot.

They might even be overkill for AM (or Enduro as they now say) but for DH I've found my go to rim. I've even got a 2nd pair of the same stock wheel set used.

They are i25 but for the standard Maxxis DHF 2.5, DHRII 2.4 DH casing, they work perfectly. Also ran the Mary in a 2.5 and that too worked very well. At the pressures I ran (relatively low) I had no squirm despite the Mary's bloated size.

Thought about the FR570 but see no need.

This season I've added inserts and now get away with lower pressure and the total weight probably comes close to running the FR570. Unless you can find a true 2.6" DH tire (like the new Mary) doubt you'd need that extra width if running 2.5" tires that were likely designed around rims with an i25 or lower.

They setup up very well tubeless and 1" wide Gorilla tape is perfect. Beads are almost too tight but that's not a bad thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    i could see a lot of people running EX 511 front, EX 471 rear

mtbr member
    I considered this rim but I couldn't find the 28 hole version for a price I was willing to pay. Ended up going with the XM401, slightly narrower at 22.5mm. They come with nipples, which is cool. I tac welded some disc brake bolts to some old screwdriver shanks - one as a hand driver, the other for my drill.

DT makes a good rim.

Why run the EX 511 up front and not the XM481? XM too light?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    I considered this rim but I couldn't find the 28 hole version for a price I was willing to pay. Ended up going with the XM401, slightly narrower at 22.5mm. They come with nipples, which is cool. I tac welded some disc brake bolts to some old screwdriver shanks - one as a hand driver, the other for my drill.

DT makes a good rim.

Why run the EX 511 up front and not the XM481? XM too light?
    EX 511 / 471 makes more sense for a combo compared to EX 471 / XM 481, both wheels in the same class

xm 421 / 481 would be a lighter weight combo similar to the 471 / 511

mtbr member
    Its a bullet proof rim, a little on the expensive side but you get what you pay for. I have them on my 29er wheelset and its my favorite hoop. When I built my SB6 I ended up putting the Arc 30's on it, which by all accounts are a good rim, but when they die they're getting replaced with 471's.

I actually wished they made an EX hoop in 40mm for 27+ wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Question: do you break a lot of rims, and if you do, which ones have you broken?

I've built a set of EX 471 rims for a friend and liked how nicely they built up, but he's still recovering from injury and hasn't ridden them hard yet. I'm not in the market for rims, but I'm definitely curious to see how well the stack up in strength against comparable rims.

mtbr member
    The only rims I have broken broken that were good after market hoops were one Stans Arc and one Stans Flow, both broke on the seam and both were before the EX moniker as well. Stan's replaced both free of charge as well and I had no issues after. These wheelsets were also OEM's and not built by my wheelbuider. I did have a set of Hadley's laced to Flow's built buy my guy and I never had an issue with them. Those wheels lived through the final days of the 26" lifecycle, Knolly Endo, Mojo SL, Knolly Chilcotin and Knolly Endo v2.

I find I like the EX's by how little I've had to true them and the amount of bent edge's I haven't had. Some of it maybe luck, some of it maybe the material, but it's been good to the point where I will run them whenever I can. Also, FWIW the person who builds my wheels echo's your sentiments, the EX471's build up super well and there isn't a ton of fighting them to get true.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    xm481 would probably be fine for most, but i preferred going for the stronger front wheel. (theres only a 45gram diff 490 vs 535)

btw the ex511 come in 28H