MCMXCV

DT Swiss 350 Front Hub Slight Lateral Play

I have a new DT 350 15x100 6-bolt front hub that has developed a slight amount of lateral play at the tire when installed in my Yari, and with the stealth maxle bolt on axle torqued to the recommended spec of 120inlbs.

The hub is a non torque cap hub installed into a torque cap RS Yari and only has 167 miles on it. There was no play when brand new and torqued to the same spec. There is absolutely no grinding or any other defects in the bearings, and the wheel spins forever when off the ground..... When it was brand new it didn't spin as freely as it does now.

The play is undetectable by eye but can be felt when the tire is off the ground and I grab the tire and wiggle it quickly left to right.... there is no up and down play. My previous Hope Pro 4 developed the same amount of play, but it took over 1,000 miles to do so.

Am I simply being too unrealistic to expect zero play in a modern hub with only 167 miles on it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    I have a new DT 350 15x100 6-bolt front hub that has developed a slight amount of lateral play at the tire when installed in my Yari, and with the stealth maxle bolt on axle torqued to the recommended spec of 120inlbs.

The hub is a non torque cap hub installed into a torque cap RS Yari and only has 167 miles on it. There was no play when brand new and torqued to the same spec. There is absolutely no grinding or any other defects in the bearings, and the wheel spins forever when off the ground..... When it was brand new it didn't spin as freely as it does now.

The play is undetectable by eye but can be felt when the tire is off the ground and I grab the tire and wiggle it quickly left to right.... there is no up and down play. My previous Hope Pro 4 developed the same amount of play, but it took over 1,000 miles to do so.

Am I simply being too unrealistic to expect zero play in a modern hub with only 167 miles on it?
    You could try replacement ng bearings. Theres a post in here somewhere comapring dt bearings, the 350ís arelower quality. My 350 level wheelset bearings went bad on its second ride, in driving rain on cindery trail.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
    No, you're not.

I do not think it is the bearings though. Have you been able to isolate the movement yet?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    The axle to hub fit has some play in it. It's in the fork as much as it's in the hub, but they all do it.

How much play are we talking about?