mtbr member
    Feb 2006

DT Swiss 340 Rear Hub Problem

I can't get the freehub off my 340 hub. I have a 240s and have never had trouble getting the freehub off (by disingaging the locking mechanism in the center of the freehub and then pulling on the cassette - the freehub pops off). However, I am not having the same luck with the 340. I read the manual which said to pull on the center of the freehub and the cassette should come off like the 240s. I tried pulling very hard on the center of the freehub to no avail.

What am I doing wrong??

meh....
    i have 240s and 340 hubs. most likely you're not pulling hard enough. it sounds like you have already removed the cassette, or at least removed the lock ring. try leaving the cassette on, or putting it back on and just thread the lock ring on loosely. put your fingers between the cassette and the spokes and sort of pry up on the cassette with your fingers against the spokes. maybe use some light gloves on your hands.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    i have 240s and 340 hubs. most likely you're not pulling hard enough. it sounds like you have already removed the cassette, or at least removed the lock ring. try leaving the cassette on, or putting it back on and just thread the lock ring on loosely. put your fingers between the cassette and the spokes and sort of pry up on the cassette with your fingers against the spokes. maybe use some light gloves on your hands.
    I understand about pulling the cassette from the hub. However, I can't unlock the freehub from the hub (by uncoupling the lock ring). I thought the lock ring was the flange in the center of the freehub body that needs to be pulled (or disengaged from the axel). But I can't budge the flange (by pulling it - to be redundant).

Hopefully I am making sense.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah
    I understand about pulling the cassette from the hub.
    do you mean pulling the cassette from the freehub body/rotor? DT calls this the rotor. just so we're on the same page.

However, I can't unlock the freehub from the hub (by uncoupling the lock ring). I thought the lock ring was the flange in the center of the freehub body that needs to be pulled (or disengaged from the axel). But I can't budge the flange (by pulling it - to be redundant).

Hopefully I am making sense.
    the freehub body/rotor isn't connected to the hub via the lockring. all the lockring does is clamp the cassette on the freehub body/rotor. you don't have the skewer or thru bolt in the hub do you? probably not. i think you just need to pull harder.

remove the skewer/thru bolt if it's there, put the cassette back on if it's off and screw the lockring on loosely, put the wheel on the floor and hold it down with your knees and grip the back of the cassette at 3:00 and 9:00 and pry with your fingers levering against the spokes. it'll pop off. it has to. the only things holding the rotor on the axle and hub are the seal between the rotor and hub, and an o-ring inside the endcap.

if they haven't been off in some time they might be a bit sticky. at least the o-ring can be because it never rotates in relation to the axle, it's in a static position. the seal between the rotor and the hub body move against each other so i don't think that's the problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    OK, so all I have to do is lay down the wheel cassette side up, hold down the wheel, grip the back of the cassette, and pull.

There is nothing else to do??

meh....
    OK, so all I have to do is lay down the wheel cassette side up, hold down the wheel, grip the back of the cassette, and pull.

There is nothing else to do??
    that's it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    that's it.
    All Right. I'll give it a shot tonight and let you know.

Thanks

meh....
    All Right. I'll give it a shot tonight and let you know.

Thanks
    how'd it go?