mtbr member
    May 2008

DT swiss 240s rear hub single speed bolt on to QR conversion

Is it possible to convert a DT swiss rear single speed hub from the bolt on axle set up to a quick release set up? I bought a used wheelset that is bolt on when I needed quick release. I see conversion kits to go from quick release to bolt on for somewhere around 60 dollars but none the other way. I assume this is backwards compatible but has anyone done this or have any information on how I might do this and how to order the parts?
    Last edited by Doctorsti; 06-19-2008 at 08:07 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I hear this is possible but now I need to find a online retailer that has these parts! Anyone have any suggestions. Universal cycle has them but they are on backorder.

Flaccid Member
    If you get the 135 QR kit... I'd be interested in your 10mm through axle spacers that are left over from the conversion. This is for a 135mm rear, with 10mm through axle, correct?

Check and see if Speedgoat has them... if not, Larry Mettler at Mtn High Cyclery in Loveland CO can get them for you.

PM me.

Thanks

Boyeeee
    Speedgoat has them. I'd confirm with their techs that this is what you need before you pull the trigger, though.

Another interesting way to go would be the 10mm endcaps and the 10mm RWS QR. I have this setup on my Blur 4x.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    If you get the 135 QR kit... I'd be interested in your 10mm through axle spacers that are left over from the conversion. This is for a 135mm rear, with 10mm through axle, correct?

Check and see if Speedgoat has them... if not, Larry Mettler at Mtn High Cyclery in Loveland CO can get them for you.

PM me.

Thanks
    as soon as I get the parts we will make a deal. I will likely never go back to bolt on so I will be glad to find the parts a good home as opposed to sitting in my garage for years.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BCBlur
    Speedgoat has them. I'd confirm with their techs that this is what you need before you pull the trigger, though.

Another interesting way to go would be the 10mm endcaps and the 10mm RWS QR. I have this setup on my Blur 4x.
    How is this different. I am not very familiar with the RWS system. As I understand it the skewer goes in and you twist the handle until it's tight. To unlock you push the red button and loosen the tension? How is this setup better then a standard skewer quick release setup?

Boyeeee
    In either the normal QR or RWS thru-bolt system, there's a 10mm interface between the hub and frame. The difference seems to be that the RWS system has better and more consistent clamping force. I was running Hope steel skewers before and the RWS system is actually a little lighter. The big downside is that the RWS skewer costs $55.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctorsti
    How is this different. I am not very familiar with the RWS system. As I understand it the skewer goes in and you twist the handle until it's tight. To unlock you push the red button and loosen the tension? How is this setup better then a standard skewer quick release setup?

It's better in the sense that it stiffens up the triangulation of the rear end, and has greater clamping force, preventing the axle from shifting under high torque in the stays. Not an issue if you are an XC guy or under 200 pounds, more an issue if you are a clydesdale with some serious weight and long legs. The downside is the 10mm RWS weighs more, which is an issue if you are a weight weenie, or don't like hauling dead weight around unneccessarily.

Boyeeee
    The downside is the 10mm RWS weighs more, which is an issue if you are a weight weenie, or don't like hauling dead weight around unneccessarily.
    Hmmm. When I went RWS front and back, I actually saved a little/tiny/minuscule amount of weight. I think you're right and I misspoke earlier, the rear RWS might weigh more than a standard skewer but the front might weigh less. The endcaps weigh less than the QR ones though, since the bore is bigger...

Speedgoat shows the combined weight of the front and rear RWS through-bolt skewers as 112 grams while the Hope stainless skewers weigh 114 grams.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

PM me.

Thanks
    The 240s SS is a true bolt-on. It is an older design not compatible with the through bolt AFAIK.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Boyeeee
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    The 240s SS is a true bolt-on. It is an older design not compatible with the through bolt AFAIK.
    I'd verify this with the SpeedGoat techs or DT directly. I converted my OLD 240 (pre-240S) hubs to through-bolt with the same conversion kit that works for the 240S.

Now that Shiggy mentions it, you might need a new axle to convert to/from the bolt on since yours is probably threaded. You might be able to do QR with just the end caps. This is something you definitely want to confirm before spending money.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by BCBlur
    I'd verify this with the SpeedGoat techs or DT directly. I converted my OLD 240 (pre-240S) hubs to through-bolt with the same conversion kit that works for the 240S.

Now that Shiggy mentions it, you might need a new axle to convert to/from the bolt on since yours is probably threaded. You might be able to do QR with just the end caps. This is something you definitely want to confirm before spending money.
    The singlespeed hub axle is threaded. No question. I would call DT directly about what is needed to convert (and Speedgoat shows 240s QR conversion kits as unavailable).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common