mtbr member

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification

After stripping down recently a front DT Swiss 240 Centerlock and few DT 350's I've noticed they are not the same quality, many questions have brought up ever since . As with the cheap pawl-version hubs made by DT and licensed for Bontrager, Roval, Syncros... all bearings in DT range seems to be very diferent:

180's: Ceramics
    240's: Japan made, stainless or 52100??? The seal is different (black facing inwards ease smoothness while red is facing out with better protection apparently).
    350's: almost convinced they are Taiwan made with similar outer and inner seals. 52100 chromoly.
    370's-pawls: low quality bearings I don´t even bother to research.

240's come with seals engraved with Japan made writtings as I show you in the next pictures. The version I came across says 6903 but they are actually MR18307 (18x30x7mm). They have extreme black hardcoated bevels (pressfitted automatically by machinery at the factory??).

What's their maker?? EZO bearings? NSK?? SKF Japan??? It's a big mistery for me working many years as a wheelbuilder with this brand. I'd like to get these bearings from the factory in large numbers (2000 pcs/year).

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification-img_20180316_175347.jpg

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification-img_20180316_175740.jpg

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification-img_20180311_174025_hht.jpg

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification-img_20180316_180405.jpg

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification-img_20180316_180311.jpg

Formerly of Kent
    Subscribed.

The bearings in all of my 240s are fantastic. I know at some point they’ll wear out. Would like to replace with the same as original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Just replaced the bearings in my rear 350 hub. Went with Enduro ABEC5's. hHopefully they last longer than the originals did.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

Formerly of Kent

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification

Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    Just replaced the bearings in my rear 350 hub. Went with Enduro ABEC5's. hHopefully they last longer than the originals did.
    Enduro makes a much lower quality product than something like EZO, NSK, SKF, NTN , etc. Companies that sell bearings for heavy use in other industries.

The only “good” Enduro product I’ve used is their XD-15 angular contact BB. Their wheel bearings are marginal at best.

https://youtu.be/E-FqWpi5n8Y

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Pretty shocking that a more expensive product by the same manufacturer would be higher quality. I wonder how often this is the case?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Pretty shocking that a more expensive product by the same manufacturer would be higher quality. I wonder how often this is the case?
    ***deleted***

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    On the seals it says tpi, that’s the manufacturer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Enduro makes a much lower quality product than something like EZO, NSK, SKF, NTN , etc. Companies that sell bearings for heavy use in other industries.

The only “good” Enduro product I’ve used is their XD-15 angular contact BB. Their wheel bearings are marginal at best.

https://youtu.be/E-FqWpi5n8Y

So happy you share my point of view regarding Enduro ABEC-5 quality . YOu can´t compare with massive Japanese companies.

Last year I had the opportunity to import EZO Bearing to Europe. They are chromoly 52100. So much better and SO MUCH CHEAPER.

I just simply want to get a bit better bearing than EZO and fixed my eyes at the best bearing-wise money I know. the one that comes in the DT 240 (at the French dealer is 6€) so I guess directly from the factory would be 3€.

Checked TPI bearing company!!!--> AST in America import them. It's certainly interesting for me because I get also EZO bearing from AST in the States. We will contact them to try to get LLB units.

I did my own research thru our European DT Swiss old codes for spares and it appears to be IJK bearing company!!! Bingo!!!!

Could it be that they use both IJK and TPI manufacturers???

It seems that IJK is part of a bigger group of companies called International Bearing

https://www.intbearing.com/

It's getting quite interesting to find out more about these bearings.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Anecdotal testimony, bearings on my 1700 DT wheelset (I think 350 grade hubs) were not very good. Freehub bearing went bad on my second ride, first in heavy rain. Front bearings are rough now, but I've been using them for a few years now.

And yeah, I'm not very thrilled with Enduro stuff. Canecreek Headset on that same bike went bad/rusty, I replaced with Enduros, which very quickly also went rusty

mtbr member
    The whole reason I spend the extra jingo for 240's over 350's. Also the reason I chuckle at all the younger riders going for the "bling" colors and kewlness factor of I9's with their garbage Enduro bearings... tho I will admit to having drank that koolaid at one time. Older and wiser now...

HAVE FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    How long was that? I've got about 4,000 miles on mine and the bearings still feel perfect.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    How long was that? I've got about 4,000 miles on mine and the bearings still feel perfect.
    Less than 2000 miles. It was mainly the drive side hub bearing. All the other bearings were fine. I pulled the old ones apart cleaned and greased still slightly rough. Keeping for a backup in an emergency case.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

Wanna ride bikes?
    Subscribed
    Rigid SS 29er
    Hardtail 29+
    Fat Lefty
    SS cyclocross
    Full Sus 29er (Yuck)

Stop asking how much it weighs and just go ride it.

mtbr member
    Coming back to confirm some facts.

DT 350's (no matter how strange is the model version fatbike-road...) they all come with TPI taiwanese bearings in both freehub-hubshells.

DT 240's on the contrary have been equipped with IJK japanese units. Still don´t know if they are stainless or chromoly.

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification-img_20180709_190550.jpg

DT Swiss 240& DT Swiss 350 bearing manufacturer identification-img_20180711_203407.jpg