Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

DT Revolution spokes for 29e, good or bad idea?

I planned to have a set of wheels build up on a set of King hubs I have laying around.
    I want Stan Crest rims with DT Revolution spokes. One of the shop I spoke to regarding the wheel build was telling me that the DT Revolution spokes would not be a good idea for a 29er due to the longer length and because those spokes tend to bind and twist during the build. Are the Revolution spokes just a bad idea on a 29er or do I need to find a different shop/builder?

FYI- the wheels will be going on a single speed, rigid 29er hardtail. I weight 155-160lb.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    You should be alright, I have revo's with crests on my xc bike and thrash them doing AM riding.

Btw i weigh 175 on a hardtail

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have been told a couple of times that DT Rev's are not recommended for disc brake wheels. Anybody?

The best DT spokes for light MTB wheels are Super Comps (2.0/1.7/1.8) which are optimized for disc use, reasonably light and strong. I have ~1500gr wheels built with them and 240 hubs - 717 rims.
    Last edited by jan_nikolajsen; 04-10-2012 at 08:34 PM.

transmitter~receiver
    Revos work fine with disc brakes & 29ers.
    I've been building wheels with them for years for many applications, including clydes on mountain bikes with disc brakes.
    I'd also go with a Wheelsmith DB14 all day long over a S.Comp.
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd
    Time to stop believing the hype and start doing some science.
    29er Tire Weight Database

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    meltingfeather knows what he's talking about. You should be good unless your hucking your bike or something crazy. I weigh 150 and just built some crest/revo/hope pro 2 wheels. Haven't been on them long but have held up great so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If you have any doubts now you're going to struggle when you're actually riding with the wheels as you'll be constantly feathering them..
    just go with the slightly heavier ones and save yourself the worry, you'll probably only save 20g

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by wattiez View Post
    If you have any doubts now you're going to struggle when you're actually riding with the wheels as you'll be constantly feathering them..
    just go with the slightly heavier ones and save yourself the worry, you'll probably only save 20g
    First he'll be fine cuz you weigh more & "thrash" yours riding "AM," whatever that means.
    Now he'll "struggle" with "feathering," whatever that means.
    Great advise.

official eMpTyBRain
    Build with DT Super Comps! You are running a risk using Revs. Do you always want to have that lil worry in the back of your mind???
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    You are running a risk using Revs.
    What risk?
    Do you guys have any knowledge or experience at all that would back up your claims?

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    What risk?
    Do you guys have any knowledge or experience at all that would back up your claims?
    Common sense, common knowledge. Revs are very thin. They flex easier.

My experience:

I used them on a 26er rim brake wheelset and I could easily see the front wheel flex while railing around turns. I had a fairly bad crash once using this wheelset. I blamed the spokes which flexed too much going around a turn, which caused my tire to loose traction, which left me bruised, battered, and rashed all to hell. It was on a trail that I rode for years that was in good condition. I had to take it a little easier after that on these spokes.

If it's a build for everyday trail riding, or more, then Super Comps are a better choice. These are also very light but thicker.

transmitter~receiver
    Common sense, common knowledge.
    Not to me, and I've been building wheels for years with them, like I said.
    Revs are very thin. They flex easier.
    This is true. How much is relevant, especially compared to S.Comps... and the differences are TINY. Fractions of millimeters tiny.
    My experience:

I used them on a 26er rim brake wheelset and I could easily see the front wheel flex while railing around turns. I had a fairly bad crash once using this wheelset. I blamed the spokes which flexed too much going around a turn, which caused my tire to loose traction, which left me bruised, battered, and rashed all to hell. It was on a trail that I rode for years that was in good condition. I had to take it a little easier after that on these spokes.
    I think you probably misdiagnosed the cause of your crash, but I wasn't there and there is no point in even talking about how you interpreted an experience you had years ago.
    If it's a build for everyday trail riding, or more, then Super Comps are a better choice.
    I disagree. I have replaced S.Comps broken at the nipple probably 10:1 over any other spoke. Like I said... I'd go with Wheelsmith DB14 all day long over S.Comps for spokes in that gauge.

official eMpTyBRain
    Not to me, and I've been building wheels for years with them, like I said.

This is true. How much is relevant, especially compared to S.Comps... and the differences are TINY. Fractions of millimeters tiny.

I think you probably misdiagnosed the cause of your crash, but I wasn't there and there is no point in even talking about how you interpreted an experience you had years ago.

I disagree. I have replaced S.Comps broken at the nipple probably 10:1 over any other spoke. Like I said... I'd go with Wheelsmith DB14 all day long over S.Comps for spokes in that gauge.
    Nothing wrong with having your own opinion based on your experience which is clearly far more than mine.

Also, I didn't consider any other brand of spokes since the spoke the OP was asking about is a DT brand. I was only suggesting what should be an upgrade by the same brand from what he was asking for help with.

You win... I lose....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    So in your experience Meltingfeather, Rev's are preferred over Super Comps for MTB wheels? Not talking about Wheelsmith - just those two DT offerings.

transmitter~receiver
    Nothing wrong with having your own opinion based on your experience which is clearly far more than mine.
    And nothing wrong with you having your opinion based on your experience. It's just that when I see/hear people giving "warnings" about using a product that I have a lot of years of successful experience with, I have to ask why.
    Also, I didn't consider any other brand of spokes since the spoke the OP was asking about is a DT brand. I was only suggesting what should be an upgrade by the same brand from what he was asking for help with.

You win... I lose....
    No winning or losing... just differences of opinion. That's what the forum is for. The OP can consider different opinions and make his choice.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    So in your experience Meltingfeather, Rev's are preferred over Super Comps for MTB wheels? Not talking about Wheelsmith - just those two DT offerings.
    Absolutely.
    I won't use S.Comps unless a customer insists on it.
    Many builders have different opinions, and mine is only as valuable as you think it is.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    In case the OP hasn't abandoned this thread yet:

Revos and crests are strong enough for you, but the rear wheel may come out of true on you often because it is such a light rim. I think windup is a red herring, more like they are asking do you want to ride the lightest and flexiest wheel possible? There are downsides to doing that, obviously.

My experience with crests and revos was on the front wheel and it held up fine but I couldn't stand the flex, and I weigh the same as you. I rebuilt the wheel with a p28 and it is much better and steers where I point it. I moved the crest to the rear with some 14/15 spokes and I don't notice the flex, but it is has needed some truing, not sure if it will hold up forever.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    First he'll be fine cuz you weigh more & "thrash" yours riding "AM," whatever that means.
    Now he'll "struggle" with "feathering," whatever that means.
    Great advise.
    AM = all mountain.
    You haven't read my post properly if you think my advice is crazy.
    I merely stated that these spokes are fine for all mountain riding and I weigh more than him, Though if he even has the slightest doubt then he will forever be riding these wheels lightly.

transmitter~receiver
    AM = all mountain.
    i know what it stands for... just not what it means.

...and that was the same cliche joke most people who have been mountain biking for longer than a few years make about the term "all mountain"
    You haven't read my post properly if you think my advice is crazy.
    I merely stated that these spokes are fine for all mountain riding and I weigh more than him, Though if he even has the slightest doubt then he will forever be riding these wheels lightly.
    i guess i didn't understand your second post. seeing as how it's a prediction of the long-term psychological reaction someone you don't know will have to the wheels, i still don't.
    Last edited by meltingfeather; 04-12-2012 at 01:56 PM.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    That main challenge with revolutions is it can be a bit more difficult to maintain your wheel. Depending on the build sometime spoke nipples can bind to spokes. A thin spoke will tend to twist and it can be difficult to break the spoke nipple free.

A good builder will put something on the threads to stop this from happening, but not everybody is a good builder.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    What risk?
    The internet said not to do it!!!!

I have been running revos on all my wheels for about 10 years. Road and MTN and never had a problem. I weigh 150 lbs and ride a hardtail, but I know heavier guys riding them without any issues either. IMO it's all in the build, get it right and the wheels last forever.
    I have a road wheelset with dura ace 7403 hubs and revo spokes, closing in on 20,000 miles and some new rims, maybe they have been trued once or twice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

spoke patten 29er 240 / crest / revolution/ radial front????

looking to build up a pair of 240 stan's crest 29 er with Dt Revolution and just deciding on lacing patterns . any one have experience with radial pattern on front wheel (28 spokes) and 2 x pattern on rear 32 spokes.

have built a couple of 26 inch wheels in the past with a friends help , but this is my first move into 29ers, (just ordered a frame yesterday and pretty pumped.)

these will be race wheels and will end up buying/ building a cheaper set of training wheels.

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatrix View Post
    looking to build up a pair of 240 stan's crest 29 er with Dt Revolution and just deciding on lacing patterns . any one have experience with radial pattern on front wheel (28 spokes) and 2 x pattern on rear 32 spokes.

have built a couple of 26 inch wheels in the past with a friends help , but this is my first move into 29ers, (just ordered a frame yesterday and pretty pumped.)

these will be race wheels and will end up buying/ building a cheaper set of training wheels.
    Radial lacing on a disc wheel?

Good luck...

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxrawd View Post
    I planned to have a set of wheels build up on a set of King hubs I have laying around.
    I want Stan Crest rims with DT Revolution spokes. One of the shop I spoke to regarding the wheel build was telling me that the DT Revolution spokes would not be a good idea for a 29er due to the longer length and because those spokes tend to bind and twist during the build. Are the Revolution spokes just a bad idea on a 29er or do I need to find a different shop/builder?

FYI- the wheels will be going on a single speed, rigid 29er hardtail. I weight 155-160lb.
    First, if the builder is worried about spoke windup go to a different builder. I'm amazed how many people who consider themselves "wheel builders" haven't figured out how to deal with spoke windup when building with thin spokes. Wheel durability is predicated on rim stiffness more than spoke thickness. I shy away from thin spokes on more durable builds because of rock impacts (on the spokes) and the like. Also, I can get away with building with just oil on beefier wheels but prefer spoke prep or linseed oil when building lighter wheels with thin spokes mostly because light rims flex more resulting in the potential for nipples loosening.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

what do u recommend?

Radial lacing on a disc wheel?

Good luck...
    so not recommended ? 2 x or 3 x then.

new too 29er wheels.

should i go 32 spokes front and back as well?

transmitter~receiver
    Quote Originally Posted by mmatrix View Post
    so not recommended ? 2 x or 3 x then.

new too 29er wheels.

should i go 32 spokes front and back as well?
    32h, 3X front and rear and you cant go wrong.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast