mtbr member
    Jan 2004

DT Competition or Supercomps with alloy/brass for disc wheels >

I'll keep this one short - I'm building wheels for my SS race rig. I have aquired my (pink) CK ISO SS hubs. I've decided to go with DT's new XR4.2D rims. All I have left is to pick out spokes. I'm torn between DT Competition 2.0/1.8/2.0's, or DT Supercomp 2.0/1.7/1.8's.

I'm 155-160 lbs. fully prepped. Wheels are going on a Salsa Juan Solo with '07 Hope M4's 185/160 rotors. I ride hard, fast XC - lots' of rocks, roots - very few jumps/drops.

So with that in mind - Competitions or Supercomps? And for the heck of it - alloy or brass nips? I am a little weight concious, but don't want a *weak* wheelset. Thanks for your help! And here's a picture of some of the parts I've obtained for reference - Nips in the picture are 2.0mm/14gauge, so they'd only be useful with the Competitions, however I'm not using that as part of my decision.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Klein Freak
    I'll keep this one short - I'm building wheels for my SS race rig. I have aquired my (pink) CK ISO SS hubs. I've decided to go with DT's new XR4.2D rims. All I have left is to pick out spokes. I'm torn between DT Competition 2.0/1.8/2.0's, or DT Supercomp 2.0/1.7/1.8's.

I'm 155-160 lbs. fully prepped. Wheels are going on a Salsa Juan Solo with '07 Hope M4's 185/160 rotors. I ride hard, fast XC - lots' of rocks, roots - very few jumps/drops.

So with that in mind - Competitions or Supercomps? And for the heck of it - alloy or brass nips? I am a little weight concious, but don't want a *weak* wheelset. Thanks for your help! And here's a picture of some of the parts I've obtained for reference - Nips in the picture are 2.0mm/14gauge, so they'd only be useful with the Competitions, however I'm not using that as part of my decision.
    At your weight, SuperComps and alloy are perfect. That dishless rear hub gives you a wider base of support and more even tension. I'd actually suggest using SC's on the front disc side, and Rev's everywhere else. Comps and brass would be overkill.

Why the 4.2's? The 4.1's are lighter and plenty durable--perfect for SS'ing.

edit Doh! Brainfart! I was thinking about the new RR1.2's, not the new XR4.2's. 4.2's are a great choice for you.

MC
    Last edited by mikesee; 12-06-2006 at 08:36 PM.

Feeding your addiction
    I agree with Mike, the Supercomps and alloy nips will be plenty strong for you.

4.2's are 25g lighter per rim than the 4.1, good choice.

Larry
    Mountain High Cyclery
    larry@mtnhighcyclery.com
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity". - Dave Barry

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks guys for the replies - exactly what I was looking for.